Motor issue

Flano

Would like some help with a motor issue my son has. It is a 6hp and only used occasionally. He started it the other day (2nd pull after no action for 6 months). However, while it ran, no water was coming out. He stopped it then tried again - still no water. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Mick

Would like some help with a motor issue my son has. It is a 6hp and only used occasionally. He started it the other day (2nd pull after no action for 6 months). However, while it ran, no water was coming out. He stopped it then tried again - still no water. Any suggestions ?

Thanks hi mick whats the brand and year of the motor /also how were you running it/in a tank or on a flusher or in the river cheers ray

Mick

Ray, motor is a Suzuki but don't know the year (silver with blue writing) - maybe early/mid 90s. It was serviced about 18 months ago with no problems. He uas using a pair of muffs from the tap. It has worked before like that.

Cheers

Ray, motor is a Suzuki but don't know the year (silver with blue writing) - maybe early/mid 90s. It was serviced about 18 months ago with no problems. He uas using a pair of muffs from the tap. It has worked before like that.

Cheers

hi mick try retesting it in a drum of water / water level must be at least 6 to 8 inches above water pump ,run in neurtal and see what happens [if it does not pump within a few seconds 10 to15 turn it off and service water pump cheers ray

If you're lucky it might be like a problem we get with our outboard. I'm no outboard mechanic but sometimes if we end up driving a bit shallow through sand/mud/sediment and it gets sucked into the water intake the sediment clogs the outlet hole for the telltale. So the water is actually still going in and coming out the bottom but you cant see it come out the tell tale. We just unscrew the telltale cap, hose out the sediment and make sure it is clean and it will often start flowing again.

the first guess is that its an ants nest or something similar.

just get some thin wire or thick fishing line and stick it up the hose and hopefully thats does it, also check the hose all the way into the motor(pull it off and check).

thats the first check i do.its fixed our outboard problems heaps of times..

:1fishing1:

I have a simsilar problem once before and all it was, was a blockage in the outlet hose and outlet fitting.. If you can access it make sure you can remove it and blow through it.. mine was just blocked with a little bit of weed it had picked up