Sharks at newport

brettmann86

With the new boat I bought decided to take advantage of the dead whale at Newport anchored up bout 500 meters from the beach and threw some mullet strips in, in the patriot was very comfy!! Caught 4 sharks in 2 hours biggest went ill guess at 90kg all released as it was just a mess about and to proove a point to a mate, the pelagic 50w I bought though for a bargain basement price performed amazingly well!! Great night for a muck about!! Sharks are great fun, biggest I've gotten is 289kg and they go like stink but only good to eat till about 40kg roughly 1.7 meters or there abouts..

Great fun if ya wanna

Play about

With the new boat I bought decided to take advantage of the dead whale at Newport anchored up bout 500 meters from the beach and threw some mullet strips in, in the patriot was very comfy!! Caught 4 sharks in 2 hours biggest went ill guess at 90kg all released as it was just a mess about and to proove a point to a mate, the pelagic 50w I bought though for a bargain basement price performed amazingly well!! Great night for a muck about!! Sharks are great fun, biggest I've gotten is 289kg and they go like stink but only good to eat till about 40kg roughly 1.7 meters or there abouts..

Great fun if ya wanna

Play about

Nice session on the sharks , great fun and top feed if you decide to keep one for the table.

What species were caught?

chris

Great fun if ya wanna

Play about

Brettmann you really know your shark stuff - I read your old mail about sharking the other day and it's got me all excited, I am going to have a few targetted sessions soon!

Dave

Good going Brettman.I fish the Northern Beaches regularly for Jewies Tailor etc using live bait yakkas mainly whole squid butterflyed fish.whole pilchards on a two hook sliding snell rig.As a bye catch I Pick up whalers up to 1.5 metres in length.Why is it that the sharks I am getting are always between 1 and 1.5 metres in length.Are there big sharks to be caught of Sydney beaches or are they only confined to deeper waters offshore.Your thoughts would be appreciated as I would like to get a good one.P.S I release the majority of sharks I catch and keep the odd one for the table.

Cheers Steve

Hi brett id really like to see a pic of that 289kg shark and tell me

what species is that 289kg shark.

To call a shark at 289kg what weigh station did you use was it caught in syd

while your at it have you a pic of your est 90kgs that would be something

Hey guys the 289kg bull shark was caught in California over in the USA aboard a relatives friends boat,

3 of the sharks last night were whalers, and the bigger one was a bull. I havn't got any photos because it was only

Me and my missus so a bit short handed in the camera

Department plus I just cut the wire can't really land em without a gaff,

And yeah they're are some bigger sharks to be had off the beaches but REALLY big bait is the key plus loads of berley but mostly unless ur keeping a trophy the smaller

Ones are the best eating, one is enough to feed a family but I gotta kill and gut/bleed them immedeatley and get them on ice ASAP or else it's like chewing ammonia soaked toilet paper

I run 2 different set ups for sharks ones a Penn senator 9/0 spoole with 80lb mono onto a 24 kg roller tip standup kit the other is a Penn international 50 spooled with 50lb mono on a15kg rod also stand up,

I,ve got a photo of the 289kegger but it's a Polaroid and it's framed so it would be a photo of a photo cause I havn got a scanner

And yea gummy sharks are absolutely delish but

I'm also very very very partial to hammerhead they go well on the tooth to

Hey guys the 289kg bull shark was caught in California over in the USA aboard a relatives friends boat,

3 of the sharks last night were whalers, and the bigger one was a bull. I havn't got any photos because it was only

Me and my missus so a bit short handed in the camera

Department plus I just cut the wire can't really land em without a gaff,

And yeah they're are some bigger sharks to be had off the beaches but REALLY big bait is the key plus loads of berley but mostly unless ur keeping a trophy the smaller

Ones are the best eating, one is enough to feed a family but I gotta kill and gut/bleed them immedeatley and get them on ice ASAP or else it's like chewing ammonia soaked toilet paper

I run 2 different set ups for sharks ones a Penn senator 9/0 spoole with 80lb mono onto a 24 kg roller tip standup kit the other is a Penn international 50 spooled with 50lb mono on a15kg rod also stand up,

I,ve got a photo of the 289kegger but it's a Polaroid and it's framed so it would be a photo of a photo cause I havn got a scanner

And yea gummy sharks are absolutely delish but

I'm also very very very partial to hammerhead they go well on the tooth to

Yep that would be cool never seen one over 180 thats a big BULL