DIY Aluminium Welding

mattwf

Hey guys

Wondering if anyone has any experience using aluminium brazing rods?

Same technique as soldering copper water pipes. Apparently the joint ends up stronger than the actual aluminium itself.

I am interested in either fabricating a new custom t.top or modifying existing on my c.console.

I understand that tig welding may be stronger/more reliable and that seriously stainless could give me a quote but i am looking at this as purely diy to keep costs down and increase the possibility of doing more work to my boat myself.

cheers, matt.

Hey guys

Same technique as soldering copper water pipes. Apparently the joint ends up stronger than the actual aluminium itself.

I am interested in either fabricating a new custom t.top or modifying existing on my c.console.

I understand that tig welding may be stronger/more reliable and that seriously stainless could give me a quote but i am looking at this as purely diy to keep costs down and increase the possibility of doing more work to my boat myself.

cheers, matt.

hi mate i just use a dc mig i have one for sale if your interested perfect for alloy and mild steel

even throw in some aluminium wire and teflon liner for alloy

in awesome condition

post-3171-085206600 1304246784_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

cheers, matt.

Hi there google Durafix aluminium welding rods

All you need is a butane burner

You can watch it being done on youtube

And Ive seen it at the boat shows looks really good

fishon - pm sent.

sanfly - durafix is exactly what i found on the web. i found stuff called hs2000 or something that supposed to be even better. but im hoping someone may have personal experience with using them and had success as i dont just want to fork out for it and find out its just crap.

i reckon it would be fine for patching holes and cracks but unsure if it would be strong enough for constructing something.

fishon - pm sent.

sanfly - durafix is exactly what i found on the web. i found stuff called hs2000 or something that supposed to be even better. but im hoping someone may have personal experience with using them and had success as i dont just want to fork out for it and find out its just crap.

i reckon it would be fine for patching holes and cracks but unsure if it would be strong enough for constructing something.

your right matt no good for anything no penetration at all

fishon - pm sent.

Yea look at the stuff the guy at boat shows and camping shows is working with. It is all very thin material like cans and thin sheet.

My dad and his mate bought some of these (not sure if its the same brand) about 5 yeas ago at a caravan show and it is still a running joke! Not good for construction.

Great for patching a hole in an aluminium beer can if the mood strikes!

Just my two cents.

Mike

Yea look at the stuff the guy at boat shows and camping shows is working with. It is all very thin material like cans and thin sheet.

My dad and his mate bought some of these (not sure if its the same brand) about 5 yeas ago at a caravan show and it is still a running joke! Not good for construction.

Great for patching a hole in an aluminium beer can if the mood strikes!

Just my two cents.

Mike

nah your right mike cant beleive its been goin on for so long

no defintely a hoax...

i bought some in the hope that i could weld some pieces of al together, but had no chance with pieces that were 1mm thick...

seems to only work on cans,

waste of money...

iv got some of those rods but with a flux on it and it worked a treat im they cost me $10 a rod im happy 2 give you 1 to try

yeah maybe with flux but thats just the flux stickin to do a proper weld the metal HAS to be molten and filled with a filler

as alloy melts at 1000+ couldnt do it properly with a blowtorch maybe with an oxy but alloy distorts very easily and end result wouldnt be to flash

a migs the go

thats true im a welder by trade but for something not 2 critical those rods will do the job

yeah im a welder to i understand what your sayin squidin but in sayin that

you may as well just use bog / silicone / or super glue witch will probably stick better than the flux

not havin a go at ya mate

i just got a real hate for those rods they just prey on people that are just after an easy fix thats all

Nothing wrong with using oxy to aluminium weld! how do you all think they did welding before migs etc? oxy set and fencing wire for steel, aluminium filler rods for aluminium! it just takes a keen eye and skill. you cant see aluminium melt until its to late! thats why you use heat crayons etc that change colour at the melting point.

Nothing wrong with using oxy to aluminium weld! how do you all think they did welding before migs etc? oxy set and fencing wire for steel, aluminium filler rods for aluminium! it just takes a keen eye and skill. you cant see aluminium melt until its to late! thats why you use heat crayons etc that change colour at the melting point.

yeah true thats evolution hey we also used to start fire with sticks but thats a whole other thread

Edited by fishon

yeah true thats evolution hey we also used to start fire with sticks but thats a whole other thread

Hope you didnt think I was having a shot at you, I was just pointing out that before migs etc that welding was all done with flame and filler rod, just some people forget about old school ways,

Yeh I bought 10 rods years ago from the c/camping show, I got a hole in the commodores radiator in the cell. So I just heated the hole then added fill that was it. Worked a treat.

I liked it to fix a cracked timing cover on my old beast.

I wouldnt use it on anything structural though.

STUBALL

Hope you didnt think I was having a shot at you, I was just pointing out that before migs etc that welding was all done with flame and filler rod, just some people forget about old school ways,

definately not fester i was actually hoping you didnt think i was havin a shot at you

cheers mate

Hi guys,

I got some of these brazing rods delivered yesterday, non of the brands mentioned above.

Im no welder nor claim to be, but from the video's ive seen looks pretty easy. (just like soldering)

So far so good only practicing with 1.4mm angle, it seems to hold well.

1st attempt I blew a hole in 1.4mm angle & distorted it. (I was rushing) :074:

2nd attempt tried seam welding 2 angle sentions together (easy) :thumbup:

3rd attempt fill a hole (no problems)

Im actually going to try & construct a few things then bash the hell out of it just for fun.

We'll see how it goes with 3mm

I think I could make heaps of crap for the boat.

I'll put some photos up & maybe a video (video will be just like bloopers)

cheers

zed

Hi guys,

I got some of these brazing rods delivered yesterday, non of the brands mentioned above.

Im no welder nor claim to be, but from the video's ive seen looks pretty easy. (just like soldering)

So far so good only practicing with 1.4mm angle, it seems to hold well.

1st attempt I blew a hole in 1.4mm angle & distorted it. (I was rushing) :074:

2nd attempt tried seam welding 2 angle sentions together (easy) :thumbup:

3rd attempt fill a hole (no problems)

Im actually going to try & construct a few things then bash the hell out of it just for fun.

We'll see how it goes with 3mm

I think I could make heaps of crap for the boat.

I'll put some photos up & maybe a video (video will be just like bloopers)

cheers

zed

definately if your are melting both metals to become one thats a weld

but they must melt what are you using an oxy?

• 2 weeks later...

I got some rods at last years boat show. They sat there for ages untill i brought a 80cm panel tv. I had some alloy angle and with a lot of heat and 2 bottles of butane ( oxy small tip would of works way faster) its hanging on the wall in a nice shiny alloy bracket. I used the old tube tv bracket that is on the wallwith the alloy part on the tv. We move the bed around in the room so i can rotate the TV about 120deg`s.

Edited by Davoo