morning narrabeen beach sesh

bennoz

Hi All

spent a beautiful 3 hours at Narrabeen beach (north end) this morning. Was there from sunrise till about 9am. Came home with 2 very nice size flatty's and a good tailor.

Swell wasnt too big but the current was really running. Decided to call it a morning when i got 'Another' weed monster!

was fishing 2 rods. One with a whole pilly ganged. The other on a pilly fillet, 2/0 circle and running sinker.

All fish on the running sinker rig

I bet it was beautiful down the beach this morning. It must have been sensational. A few good fish too. What a bonus! :thumbup:

Gotta hate those "weed monsters" :1badmood:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Yeah sunrise was great. Had the beach to myself. There was a small gutter running parallel to the beach close to shore, leading into a massive rip right in front of the surf club

• 3 weeks later...

g'day pplz

anyone keen on coming for a beach sesh this arvo.

ill be Narrabeen beach (north end) from 3-6 today. high tide is 5:30 so should be good (if theres no weed)

Bennoz,

how was the weed? I lost a fair bit of line the other morning after landing my pillie on what must have been the record piece of kelp.

The friday before I managed a 63cm tailor off North Narra, just south of where the lake was letting out (current was flowing southward along the beach).post-8116-086124500 1307007833_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to hit somewhere on the Northern Beaches at dawn over the weekend, so any guidance on the weed will be helpful since I have to start fishing in the dark.

nice catch - i can only catch salmon lately it seems ;(

The weed just depends on which way the swell is coming.

If its coming from the south, the north end will be chockers with weed.

if its from the north, the south end will be weedy

the north end is usually clear if the swell is from the east

just need to move up and down the beach to find a clear spot

Edited by bennoz

Bennoz,

how was the weed? I lost a fair bit of line the other morning after landing my pillie on what must have been the record piece of kelp.

The friday before I managed a 63cm tailor off North Narra, just south of where the lake was letting out (current was flowing southward along the beach).post-8116-086124500 1307007833_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to hit somewhere on the Northern Beaches at dawn over the weekend, so any guidance on the weed will be helpful since I have to start fishing in the dark.

Great Tailor mate, they pull hard at that size and make for some awesome smoked fillets!

Cheers

S.

Thanks for the tips, Bennoz! I hit N Narrabeen early this morning. I was there are 4am, and still, someone was already in the best spot! The current was flowing southwards, and the north end was pretty free of kelp. The lake was very very muddy, and the run-off was making much of the beach pretty murky too - and that's where I fished.

In a few hours there, I managed an undersizes flattie, a behomoth stingray (v nasty tail whips when it arrived at the beach), and three great-fighting salmon. I kept one for dinner and the other two went back in. (Obviously, the flattie and stingray also went back in)

A runner on the beach watched me catch the second salmon - funny, I think the runner was more excited by the catch than I was.

Although salmon don't have a great reputation for the table, I find them great to eat. The key is to agressively get rid of all the red meat, and only put the white meat into whatever you're making, and to not overcook it. The meat is very soft and will easily go dry with even a little too much time over heat. I let them go for 3 minutes in a barely-boiling sauce, and no more. I also soak in lemon or lime juice from the time I get home until dinner.

post-8116-029467900 1307269682_thumb.jpg

wow 4am and fighting for spots. must be some keen fisho's on the northern beaches

nice salmon. I love catching em. Geez they go hard in the surf.

Im thinking of hitting the beach this Monday (the long weekend), weather permitting. May not be 4am but it will be early, if you want to join me

The missus and i will lurking around Narra all this weekend, i'm hoping she will hook up a decent salmon, her personal best is a tommy, so she would get a bit of a fright :1yikes: if she hooks a real fish.....heh heh heh oops i have been reminded :bump0ee: that she also caught a 25cm yellow eye mullet and Jackie says 'bring it on' to the salmon. :yahoo: ..............