Robalo Boats

Doggers

Im looking at buying a Robalo r225 and want to know if anyone has any information about this brand, I have not seen many in Australia and would like to know more about them. They seem to be a very well constructed boat. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

Im looking at buying a Robalo r225 and want to know if anyone has any information about this brand, I have not seen many in Australia and would like to know more about them. They seem to be a very well constructed boat. Any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

Hi Doggers,

Robalo boats are made in the US under the chaparral boat builders brand. Chaparral boats make High quality recreational bow riders, probably one of the best made boats in the USA. As for Robalo, they also are made to very high standards, well constructed solid boats. They are very well respected in the US and are comparable to the likes of Grady, whaler, Persuit and Contender. They have outstanding seas keeping abilities.

The model you refer to is more a family fisher, the deckspace is not too big however if your looking for a crossover between a fisher and family boat they are a VERY nice boat indeed.

Hope this helps.

Oh thanks heaps @Billyd. Tell me, how do you think they compare to a trophy or seaswirl?

Hi Doggers,

Seaswirl, Trophy, Sea Pro and the like are all great boats however they are not in the same league of build and quality as a Robalo.

Robalo's were never marketed in Australia hence the uncertainty of the brand, you may find that resale value wont be as good as a Trophy for this reason. I can tell you from experience (Ive been in both boats), they are not comparable. Robalo are a heavy constructed boat.

To give you an idea, the boats you mention are a "Mid Range" boats if your talking US standards, there are worse, but there are definitely a lot better.

Hi Doggers,

Seaswirl, Trophy, Sea Pro and the like are all great boats however they are not in the same league of build and quality as a Robalo.

Robalo's were never marketed in Australia hence the uncertainty of the brand, you may find that resale value wont be as good as a Trophy for this reason. I can tell you from experience (Ive been in both boats), they are not comparable. Robalo are a heavy constructed boat.

To give you an idea, the boats you mention are a "Mid Range" boats if your talking US standards, there are worse, but there are definitely a lot better.

Thanks for the info BillyD, you seem to know your US boats. Where would you place Sea Fox in the ranks ?

Thanks for the info BillyD, you seem to know your US boats. Where would you place Sea Fox in the ranks ?

The newer ones are supposedly better than the older models. I wont bang on too much about SeaFox I know a few people that own them :wacko: , all i can say is I would not buy one.

If you cant afford a Robalo, look at the other brands you mention, I think you will be happier with your purchase. :)

The newer ones are supposedly better than the older models. I wont bang on too much about SeaFox I know a few people that own them :wacko: , all i can say is I would not buy one.

If you cant afford a Robalo, look at the other brands you mention, I think you will be happier with your purchase. :)

Thanks BillyD for all your advice. Certainly appreciate it.

Hi, I agree with Billy and back in the day when Brunswick owned Robalo we sold a few and they are fine boats but they are over 2.5M in width so be aware of that.

Personally I would still not rate as well as something like a Haines Hunter (that is a plug becuase I choose to stock and sell HH), Cruisecraft or Fry built Seafarer in terms of ride here in our waters and suitablity to our conditions but the price of all these US boats make them worthwhile to consder, just do your homework and factor in the reasle-yes they may cost less to buy but come resale a good Oz built boat will hold its value better and of course you are supporting local businesses.

Cheers,

Huey.

Personally I would still not rate as well as something like a Haines Hunter

Doggers, maybe you can see craig about a Haines, im not sure about them being a better boat than a Robalo :unsure: , but I recon they are the best Australian built glass boat.

Width is an issue also, however most of the yankie 23's are the same, and you can actually buy a permit to tow them. The smaller 20ft boats like Key West are within width regulations...

Happy searching mate.

Doggers,

Rapalo are well made boats but all their boats are at least 8'6" wide, sure you can get a permit to tow but permits are restrictive as to times and roads you can tow.

If you want a 22 footer, Grady White have one for you 226/228 Seafarer, very well made boats, very strong and ride very well, like all USA built boats they have a huge fuel tank but best of all they are under 2.5 mtrs wide. Not cheap but with the value of our $ right now they represent good value if thats want you want.

The other brands you mentioned only the Trophy 2102WA is under 2.5 mtrs, good boat but not in the same league as Grady, they ride the sea well though and they are well known in AU.

If you buy a boat from USA make sure the trailer is under 2.5 mtrs wide and has brakes that comply with ADR, most USA built trailers are 8'6" (2.59 mtrs)but they make some nice aluminium trailers there and they are very cheap .

Huey, thanks for the info. I like Haines but I cant afford a patriot or similar hence the reason i'm looking at a US boat. WRXHoon, thanks for the info, i'm aware of the width requirements and do like the Grady boats, I think the aesthetics of the Grady are a little old fashioned, i'm not a fan of the square-ish window, they are a great boat though.

BillyD, The image you posted is the exact model i'm after, the twin helm seats and the sink at the front. This particular model is hard to find as they only range from 2005-2006, then they reverted back to the 2 seat set up.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Edited by Doggers

Huey, thanks for the info. I like Haines but I cant afford a patriot or similar hence the reason i'm looking at a US boat. WRXHoon, thanks for the info, i'm aware of the width requirements and do like the Grady boats, I think the aesthetics of the Grady are a little old fashioned, i'm not a fan of the square-ish window, they are a great boat though.

BillyD, The image you posted is the exact model i'm after, the twin helm seats and the sink at the front. This particular model is hard to find as they only range from 2005-2006, then they reverted back to the 2 seat set up.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Happy searching Doggers, Ive been interested in that particular model also. Really nice boat. Keep me posted on your search mate, PM me if you find something, I would be keen to know what it costs you to get here, I recon the Robalo r225 is a really nice looking boat, matched with outstanding handling you could not go wrong.

Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

Hi Doggers,

Thanks for the information, i am also looking at a similar boat, what do you know about the Sea Hunt Victory 225? Im getting confused! Seems better than trophy but not as good as Grady whit, Robolo, or Whalers