Tarana rainbows/browns/redfin, & a TCD question

G'day, been a FR member for ages but haven't reported anything for ages either. Anyway went trout fishin for first time in twenty years (!) last week and had an absolute ball. Think I'm hooked on the spotted ferals.

Went to couple of rivers near Tarana. First time fished trout in moving water. Man they sure don;t mind shallows. First little rainbow hit the hairjig in maybe 7-8cm "deep" riffle.

One arvo and one morning's fishing saw probably 25 trout taken between three of us. Nothing big, max maybe 30cms, many little bubs. Got my first ever brown, on a black hairjig. Interestingly fished a pool the size of a backyard swimming pool and plucked 18-20 redfin from it. From hand sized to a couple that want 35cms plus.

Bloke I was fishing with did really well on tiny (no16) dry flies. Watching his stalking and casting skills was a treat. Seeing a trout pluck his dry from the surface was mucho fun. I used 1/16th, 1/20th, 1/32nd jigs dressed with marabou, rabbit, or Arctic fox tales. Black, dark brown and olive all worked. The redfin adored an olive jig. Dislike what trebles do to fish's faces so the little jigs make for easy, healthy release.

Anyway the streams will close soon so planning a trip to Thompson Creek Dam. Are waders an advantage at the dam? Don't know whether to take them, considering the walk in. And does anyone reckon the little jigs will work there. Max cast with them on 3 pound Fireline in still conditions is probaby 15 metres (maybe closer to 10 metres). Enough? Or should I bring some small spoons (refitted with singles) for longer casts and probing the deeper water?

Cheers

Edited by bombora

I have never fished at tcd before, but if you dont like what the trebles do plastics are a good alternative and so are hardbodies fitted with singles (one or two) or even w hooks. it will give you a few more options and possible some longer casts

G'day Bombora

NO expert as I have only done 2 days trouting ever but both times at TCD. Last trip I mainly fished light weight plastics on 1/20th heads and caught a good bag of fish. I can only cast these things 15m at best. I found most action on the first drop off which is only a few meters out from the bank. There are a few sections were I think waders would be helpful but we didn't wear any. If you were fly fishing they would most definatly help with line management as line will be in water than in the long grass. A stripping basket would fix that tho.

Greg

I think I know the pool you are talking about, I fished that stream a couple of weeks ago had a few follows but only managed a couple of redfin using small plastics. I don't think you 'need' waders at TCD but they keep you warm and dry! Especially walking through long wet grass.

Thanks guys. Like the hair jigs over plastic cause no plastic ever made moves like marabou, rabbit or fox but the plastics are a little heavier and will take a few types too. There was a great story by mini jig master Frank Prokop in the latest Freshwater Fishing mag. Hey GregL Very interesting about the fish around the first drop off. Trout guru I was with really hammered home the point about fishing shallows and margins first. Gotta say the redfin are very handsome fish, these ones had amazingly vivid scarlet fins (read that they lose the colour a lot in deeper dam water) but they didn't fight much at all, even the bigger ones when hooked right beside a big drowned tree. The little browns and rainbows were really pretty too, and fought much better. And they jump! Aquaman I might even take the waders just for the cold (me a stick insect in human form). Thanks for the insights, much to learn, and getting quite exited about going trout fishing again!

Hi,

I have fished Tommo's around four times in the last month and have been paying attention to how other keen fisho's are set up. Most fly fishers wear a vest, seen them wearing/carrying waders. Some use a strip basket as gregl said so i would take waders with you if you flyfish. Don't walk in them up to the wall unless they are really comfortable. Shorter thigh high waders would be best as you will most likely go knee deep anyway, i am considering buying them, as my waders are chest high for prawning i won't be using these there, if you can get some thermaly insulated ones they would be best as the water is getting chilly. The water has risen about half a metre in a few weeks so there is a lot of submerged grass/shrubs especially around the shallow points/flats which can play havock with the fly line so walking past this would be a advantage. Personally i have mostly spinned the edges and carry a small back pack with a dis assemble fly rod as i have done well one day on spinning and be blitzed by fly fishers as i was seeing the trout follow the hard bodies and swirling away at the last minuite. I will continue to keep this set up with the adition of some shorter comfy waders should complete me as the walk up is all up hill and take 15 min to the eastern side, at least double that if you go to the western side. Most spin fishers that i have seen don't have waders, but they would help in the grassy bays/points.

I hope this helps as the last thing you want is to get up there and say " i should of brought that"

Regards dan.

Hi bombora,

I flyfish Thompson creek and I bring my hip waders with me. There are some very big fish in the dam and as I like using light gear, I have to chase the fish occassionly. You just never know when you will end up in the water.

Fish cruse up and down the banks, so you will pick up fish right at your feet. If you use lures, Tassie devils and spoons are very productive. Swordfisherman has had very good success with his pink Tassie.

Hope this helps.

Regards Caddis

Hi Pilchard, from what I could see camping riverside would be very difficult unless you could get the OK from a landholder. The rivers there run through private property. Too many a-holes' past yobbo-isms have stuffed it for all. You'd want a bloody good sleeping bag too!

Pike,

There is a couple of places you can camp on the fish river, One is called Flat rock on the Mutton falls Rd out from O'Connell and the other one is near the road bridge on the main rd between Bathurst and O'Connell. But like they said make sure you have a good sleeping bag gets down below freezing.