Narrabeen Beach

davegroves68

Hi Raiders,

I haven't managed to get out much lately but when I saw the weather this i couldn't resist a quick beach session. I got to Narrabeen at about 6.30am armed with a few pillies and yakkas that had been thawed and refrozen at least once or twice .

Not much of a swell, a southwesterly and no surfers, so it looked pretty good.

After 10 minutes..BANG! i get smashed by a nice Salmon. He goes off on a good run and i see him jump just on the other side of the breakers.A :thumbup: nice fight and i land a nice fish, about 65cm. :thumbup: This is the first time i have fished the beach in ages so i was glad i made the effort to get out of bed.post-10917-046721300 1305333757_thumb.jpg

I wasn't finished yet. Another 10mins later and i feel the tap tap..Bang. I'm on again :yahoo: God, I love catching salmon off the beach. They may not be good eating but they are great fun. This one puled and pulled. And jumped too.... Then he spat the hook :ranting2: Ah well, thats fishing.

I didn't have to wait too long before i got hit again though. :biggrin2: Another Salmon taking line off the reel. This time he was not getting off and was dragged up the beach after a good fight.

A solid fish, in great condition.post-10917-018745300 1305334740_thumb.jpg

2 more fish were landed making a total of 4 landed and 1 lost. All fish were released bar one which was given to a passer by for his lunch. I'm not a fan of eating salmon, but if anyone has a good recipe for them, feel free to reply.

A beautiful morning on the beach and home by 9 o"clock for breakfast.

post-10917-070503200 1305335209_thumb.jpgpost-10917-002488400 1305335238_thumb.jpg

There were a few other guys fishing along the beach too. Get out there and give it a go. I talked to someone and they said people had been catching salmon all along the beach all morning :thumbup: Think i will be back this evening.

Dave

Nice going on the Salmon!

It's all personal opinion but the best ways to eat australian salmon I think are

1) smoked

you can buy a small methylated spirit smoker, use quality sawdust. bleed the fish when you catch them. split the fish and rub a mixture of brown sugar and salt into the flesh side.

lie them skin down, flesh up on the wire rack. hot smoking like this takes about 20 minutes. can smoke other protein too.

2) thai style fish cakes.

bleed and fillet, removing blood heavy flesh (difficult bones but persist) then mince the fish (or chop it fine)

add some mashed potato and thai red curry paste and chopped coriander.

the ratios need a bit of practice. mould into cakes. coat in bread crumbs if you like. fry. dip in sweet chilli sauce and/or lemon juice.

cheers

Liar

very nice. i might have to give it a go tomorrow evening.

for cooking salmon you HAVE to:

1). bleed the fish asap. Cut through the gills and bend the head back. dig a hole in the sand and bury the fish head first

2). fillet (and i like to skin it)

3). remove the blood lines and the red flesh. as much as possible.

4). de-bone the fillet

5). cut the fillets into small portions so it cooks evenly. A big gripe with salmon is the milky flesh. Small portions means it cooks better and becomes more firm. trick is to cook it so its firm but not to dry it out

now cover the fillet in salt/ pepper/ flour mix and grill with some garlic and chopped parsley :thumbup:

Edited by bennoz

Nice going. I love catching salmon off the beach too. So much fun and, just like yourself, normally on twice frozen pillies.

I used to let them go as I heard they were not much chop on the chomp but I recently bought one home after it had swallowed my hooks fairly deep and didn't fair much chance of survival. I prepared the fish exactly as previously stated (bleeding straight away, cutting away the blood meat etc..) and made Thai fish cakes with it.

It was basically a matter of food processing the flesh with some curry paste, herbs, egg etc.. to a paste then shallow frying. Turned pout to be de-lish. I will be thinking twice now before sending them all on their merry way.

I think this is the recipe I used.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16590/thai+fish+cakes

Great to see Narra is working. I tried Curl Curl for nothing on Friday morning.

With salmon, I like to carefully fillet it and remove the blood line, cube it (about an inch-cubes) soak it in lime until it turns white, and then add it to miso soup and cook it in the soup for just a few minutes. It is really nice like that.

Hi Raiders,

I haven't managed to get out much lately but when I saw the weather this i couldn't resist a quick beach session. I got to Narrabeen at about 6.30am armed with a few pillies and yakkas that had been thawed and refrozen at least once or twice .

Not much of a swell, a southwesterly and no surfers, so it looked pretty good.

After 10 minutes..BANG! i get smashed by a nice Salmon. He goes off on a good run and i see him jump just on the other side of the breakers.A :thumbup: nice fight and i land a nice fish, about 65cm. :thumbup: This is the first time i have fished the beach in ages so i was glad i made the effort to get out of bed.post-10917-046721300 1305333757_thumb.jpg

I wasn't finished yet. Another 10mins later and i feel the tap tap..Bang. I'm on again :yahoo: God, I love catching salmon off the beach. They may not be good eating but they are great fun. This one puled and pulled. And jumped too.... Then he spat the hook :ranting2: Ah well, thats fishing.

I didn't have to wait too long before i got hit again though. :biggrin2: Another Salmon taking line off the reel. This time he was not getting off and was dragged up the beach after a good fight.

A solid fish, in great condition.post-10917-018745300 1305334740_thumb.jpg

2 more fish were landed making a total of 4 landed and 1 lost. All fish were released bar one which was given to a passer by for his lunch. I'm not a fan of eating salmon, but if anyone has a good recipe for them, feel free to reply.

A beautiful morning on the beach and home by 9 o"clock for breakfast.

post-10917-070503200 1305335209_thumb.jpgpost-10917-002488400 1305335238_thumb.jpg

There were a few other guys fishing along the beach too. Get out there and give it a go. I talked to someone and they said people had been catching salmon all along the beach all morning :thumbup: Think i will be back this evening.

Dave

[/quot

Great effort on the salmon dave,i haven,t fished the beach much of late. They definately give a good fight for there size.

I only use them fresh as slab bait or make soup if i take a few home.

chris

They are sensational to eat hot smoked. Bled straight away, wash the fillets with freshwater, dry, rub a handful of salt and brown sugar on each fillet, soy sauce is an excellent additona too, and sit the fillets in fridge for an hour. After that whack them on a hot smoker (hickory) for 25-30 mins...you can make a brine too when preparing the fillets instead of just a rub down.

Cheers,

Spizza.

Great report Dave - I can't sleep right now so you have helped me decide how to put my insomnia to good use this morning! I know where I am headed in a couple of hours, I love catching salmon off the beach, they go so hard for their size.

Dave

went for a drive this morning and narrabeen Lake is open and pouring into the beach ,with the extra high tides over the next few nights and a bit of swell around there should be heaps of good fish around. In the channel at the mouth of the lake there were either good size mullet or huge whiting around some boulders in the fast moving water. What ever they were they were a silvery colour.

Jim......

Great recipe for Australian Salmon fillets

- First of all, bleed the salmon and ice straight away

- Next, boil 2litres of water, add a Fish stock

- Next, cut the salmon into small 10cm cubes

- Find yourself a small brick

- Next, place the brick into the stock and feed the salmon to the cat

- Enjoy your brick soup!!! Ha ha

Sorry for the jokes. They are actually ok if you bleed and ice them, and coat in beer batter with extreme heat

yeah, I've got a similar recipe.

• Get a big pot and fill it with water and add a couple of handfuls of blue metal (gravel)
  • Add the salmon fillets and any herbs and spices you desire and boil.
  • When the blue metal is tender, give the salmon to the cat and eat the gravel.

haha.

I've heard that its not too bad smoked. Some even say that if you cut the bloodlines out of it its good fresh. Would be a good masterchef elimination challenge - to prepare an Australian Salmon dish...

All I know is they are heaps of fun to catch.

fryboy