Single hooks on lures

Little Hooker

Ive never tried what you've done before but I've seen other people do the same thing on different lures and it works. I think you should give it a try and see if the action has changed. Changing the hooks may manipulate with the weight of the actual lure and make it not as balanced as it was originally. In saying that, good luck and hope you get some decent fish on it.

ive done the 3rd one - the red head. where all hooks are straight to the rings - although my tail hook faces down. dont think it matters too much

i made these changes too all my metal lures / slices. hook ups have been the about the same. drops have gone way down and its alot easier to release the fish - i was gut hooking on trebbles

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just my two bobs worth on the subject.

I've been changing out trebles for singles on all my Barra lures for donkey's years. I use Owner "Dancing Stingers" which, unfortunately, aren’t available here in OZ. The Kevlar cord allows for more flexibility and rotation than the traditional hook/split ring set up therefore leaving the fish with much less chance to use body of the lure to lever hooks out.

Once a big single finds its mark it very, very rarely comes adrift.

post-19213-083951500 1308197482_thumb.jpg

i've tried setup 3 with just splits to single hooks.

i found it really good on metals, it doesn't alter their wobble or twisting action much and you get all the advantages of one big hook.

for some of the jap swimmers it seems to alter their action too much for my liking.

for instance the adagio there, i tried singles on it and it had a smaller S arc compared to the recommended trebles. if you're worried about catch and release you can try STBL-66 (barbless trebles)

Hey guys great feed back on this topic!

I havent had much time to use the all the lures except 1 time where i used a halco trembler with setup 1 and the rear assit fouled up. * shrugs * Didnt have any runs on the lures that day but probably have to wait till the water warms up to have a good crack at what works best. Tse boys at nomads uses setup 3 and reckons thats there hook up rates have gone up.

I like the last one best but I must mention some of my tiny Japanese lures came rigged with the front single point up and the hook still seem to find a hold OK when bass fishing so I'm not sure how much it matters

Edited by zook2001

I like the last one best but I must mention some of my tiny Japanese lures came rigged with the front single point up and the hook still seem to find a hold OK when bass fishing so I'm not sure how much it matters

I have found it all depends on what fish you're chasing. The hooks with the kevlar loop offer advantages over a hook/split ring set up by allowing more flexibility and rotational movement. On fish such as Barra or Trout that jump, writhe, head shake and the like, the hooks with the kevlar can rotate much more than when attached via a split ring or even two split rings thus taking away any mechanical advantage a fish might gain by the hooks "locking up" and the lure levering hooks out. Single hooks also offer superior snag resistance.

Just my thoughts.

The last one has my vote.

I have been running the kevlar hooks for a few years on my hard bodies. I place them so that the point runs up.

If you drag a hook through the water it will run shank down and point up. Less chance of the hook trying to over ride the

running of the lure.Similar to marlin lures- most are positioned to run point up or 60% with both up to

hook into the top of the fishes mouth.

The last one has my vote.

I have been running the kevlar hooks for a few years on my hard bodies. I place them so that the point runs up.

If you drag a hook through the water it will run shank down and point up. Less chance of the hook trying to over ride the

running of the lure.Similar to marlin lures- most are positioned to run point up or 60% with both up to

hook into the top of the fishes mouth.

I would have thought if you run point up then it will be "hidden" or laying flat against the side of the lure, one side or the other.

I've run mine through the swimming pool and the hook point stays down and it moves from side to side much the same as the action of the lure, depending on the trolling speed of course. Once the speed gets up the hook just lies flat against the lure and point exposure is restricted by the body of the lure.

On the Poltie style lures there are no worries about the hook points being restricted. Due to the "upright" stance the lure takes the hooks are always trailing out the back. Hook up rate on this type of lure are not affected, it's mainly the stickbait profiles that have reduced hook up rate, I put this down to the hooks sliding around the body rather than swinging out the back.

Edited by Blinky