Fireline or Fireline Crystal

Ken A

I was just after a bit of feedback on the current favourites for a bit of SP fishing. I am used to using Fireline 4lb but after being out of the fishing circle for a couple years I was not sure if anything had come along to replace it. The Fireline Crystal looked interesting ?

Thoughts anyone ?

if your fishing light plastics you might want to look at a softer braid iv completly gone away from fireline and iv used it all including the new exceed which i used for 1 session and it came straight back off just to stiff for me nitlon is very good for its price as is sunline range and if you dont mind spending some $$$ grab a spool of td sensor cant beat it

the main reason for the softer braid is distance in casting alot better i reccon you can feel a lot more of whats going on to

just my opinion

mick

Thanks for the replies guys :biggrin2: I will probably give the crystal a go & look into getting a couple of the other types to try as well. All I have to do now is remember how to cast :1yikes:

G'day Ken

I used Fireline Crystal in 2lb - 8lb until about 18 months ago, then I changed to Power Pro. There was no reason to change other than to try something different. The Power Pro ties a great knot, lies very well on the spool and is substantially softer than Crystal. That said, I pulled out a reel over Easter that had Crystal on it that must be at least 18 months old, and fished with it for the Easter break without incident. :thumbup:

If there was a noticeable difference between the two then I would say Crystal seems to generate more tip wraps and wind knots than Power Pro. I have been using Power Pro on my spin outfits as well as my baitcasters and I am very happy with it. The bright yellow color also makes it easier for tired eyes to see it! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

• 1 month later...

I am happy with Fireline crystal but would like to know how heavy leader can I go if using say 4pound and 6pound fireline.Am targeting flathead and how long should leader be.Sorry to hijack post.

steve

I am happy with Fireline crystal but would like to know how heavy leader can I go if using say 4pound and 6pound fireline.Am targeting flathead and how long should leader be.Sorry to hijack post.

steve

I Use 4lb Braid with 8lb Black magic Flurocarbon leader. I usually have the leader so my knot is just out of my top eyelet on an average cast, If i'm chasing bream in very clear shallow water i may extend the leader to 6-8ft.

I used Fireline Crystal in the past but am on Fireline Exceed. Fireline Exceed its doing all the right things so far as casting distance and knot tying and strength. In saying that, it takes some time to get use to the thinner diameter.

I used Fireline Crystal in the past but am on Fireline Exceed. Fireline Exceed its doing all the right things so far as casting distance and knot tying and strength. In saying that, it takes some time to get use to the thinner diameter.

Exceed is now available in Crystal, Looking forward to trying that out but I do love being able to see the blaze orange colour when working my lures better

But I'm torn between grabbing Crystal Exceed or buying some new Nanofil to try for flats work