Nelson Bay Spinning

Hi Fishraiders

I took the family up to our favourite spote in Nelson Bay for a weeks holiday - heaven! As soon as we got there I stocked up on vital supplies - cask of red, cask of white and a carton of beer. :beersmile: I bought Reschs Pilsner - taste much better on tap.

The place we stay at is about two minutes from Tomaree Head, every afternoon between 4.00 and 5.30 I would walk around to the Torpedo Tubes and flick spinners around. Most days I got 2 or 3 tailor, no size to them. One night there was a storm and the next day the water was murky, churned up and frothy - beauty!

Hits almost every cast and kept four solid fish for the table - crumbed fillets - yum :bleh:

For the record I have now used 3 different types of lures/spinner from Kmart that were dirt cheap and consistenly catch fish, happy boy.

One afternoon I was checking out a little jetty and couldn't believe the amount of biatfish hanging around it. Massive school of mullet, clouds of garfish hanging around the suface and even saw a squid hovering around. I had a flisk and jagging a garfish, so I throw him out on a gang-hook rig and 2 seconds letter a tailor smashed him. :1fishing1:

I find it hard fishing by myself to execute a good plan - berley, baitfish and go for something bitey - when I know I only have an hour before getting back to the fam. Much to fun to catch and play tailor on light gear.

So NEXT time I really will target something bigger, next time hehe :biggrin2:

Lasty at the cleaning table there were two fellas cleaning about 40 blackfish...why would you take 40? They said they were from 1 hour inland and come twice a week...? Maybe they sell em of something? Anyway was something a bit dodgey about em. :thumbdown:

Spanker

Sounds allright :1clap:

Is torpedo tubes off tomaree headland? Might have to check it out some time

And the little jetty your talking about, that the eastern one of shoal bay??

Cheers Shaun

G'day sk,

Yep the tubes are the man-made formations that project into the chanel on the north edge of tomaree - never fail for tailor and good blackfish+drummer.

Yeah I think you're right on for the jetty too, along the path next to the mental hostel place.

I hear there is a track around the south side of tomaree that heads around to the ocean front where there is plenty of ledge for top class land based game fishing. I heard 2 people say you can get serious cobia, tuna, kings and even beakies. With the abundance of garies around I rekcon live bait or ganghooking them off the headland would be very intesesting... :1fishing1:

You a local sk?

Spanker

Thanks knapers. Yeah I catch a lot of tailor so I am trying to find ways for getting the best out of the on the dinner plate. Crumbing was pretty good, will try some batterring next.

The bream I had a few weeks ago left it for dead though, now if only I could catch some nice snapper... :074:

Nah, not a local.

Just got access to a place at Boat Harbour, bout 5mins away. So will be checking out all the spots pretty soon :beersmile:

Yeah I wouldnt mind checking out the lbg one morning, looks like fun

Another VERY fishy looking spot around there is Fishermans Beach. Again after a storm I reckon that place would go off. The photos in the fshing sop were very impressive. Some massive flaties and cobia. :1yikes:

Spanker - glad you enjoyed your visit here. I had tailor for dinner tonight - plenty around at the moment and they should be in attendance for a while yet. Tomaree ocean side is heart attack hill so be warned as the climb out looks fearsome. I still haven't got up the courage to fish there - easier places to get a good feed. Are you sure that spot is called Fishermans Beach? Don't know it - Fishermans BAY is near Boat Harbour?????

Hi dacobra

You live in Port Stephens? Ah heaven. Believe it or not the missus and I carried our 2 kids (under 4) half way around the track at Tomaree- no big deal at all for adults, people tell me it is only a 15 - 20 minute bush bash and that's the way it looked. The track peels off the right of the actual walk so you go around the hill rather than over it.

Actually if you get an hour why don't you check it out, a bit of a recon mission? Pleeeeeeease tell me what you find as if it is what I am told I will definately try it next time.

Some locals told me they had been catching tuna off soldiers point recently for the first time in years...?

Spanker

Spanker - here is a pic of Tomaree from the ocean side. The main ledge is just to the north of the cleft. Might give it a go during winter but its easy to put it in the

too hard basket at the moment. Havn't heard about the soldiers point tuna but it wouldn't surprise me......

post-64-1117896753_thumb.jpg