off shore boat

tunastrike

just wanted to get some opinions on what sort of outboard to buy for a 6.5 meter boat that will be doing alot of off sure work trolling etc the main outboards are yamaha suzuki mercury and etec which I have already owned on a 6 metre boat and cant say I was all that pleased with the fuel consumtion of the etec so 4 stroke next time but some people say there etecs are great so any info would be great thanks.

I've got a boat the same size with a 200 2 stroke and have the same fuel consumption problem. I know if I had the cash I'd be going for the new four stroke Yamaha's

But that's just from speaking to some experienced guys who've owned pretty much everything (not from personal experience) so maybe have a chat with Huey, I'm sure he can help you out.

just wanted to get some opinions on what sort of outboard to buy for a 6.5 meter boat that will be doing alot of off sure work trolling etc the main outboards are yamaha suzuki mercury and etec which I have already owned on a 6 metre boat and cant say I was all that pleased with the fuel consumtion of the etec so 4 stroke next time but some people say there etecs are great so any info would be great thanks.

Optimax or Verado?.

Musty

Hi, this topic has been discussed many times and everyone will have an opinion, some backed by alot of experience and some options backed by very little. The fact is all modern clean tech engines, when propped and rigged right, will use very similar fuel at the end of a days boating. Yes one brand maybe better than the other brands at a certain RPM on a certain boat but all clean engines are far superior to dirty engines in temrs of fuel burn. My advise is for you to do as much research as you can and buy the brand YOU like from a dealer that knows what they are doing otherwise all brands can not run as designed if a dealer does not know what they are doing and I hate to say it, but in this industry that is more the norm than the exception-we see it all the time no matter what brand is on the back of a boat-wong prop, wrong height or just plain worng engine for that particular hull.

I had a guy in here last week talking about his new, expensive boat and how it had a problem. I asked what was the problem and he said it struggles to get on the plane and when I asked what boat and what engine he has he got upset when I said to him that engine was too small and the totally wrong engine for that hull and should never been fitted to his boat and it has to work hard so fuel usage and performance will suffer. He even said that a person told him about wedges and yes they sometimes work, but they only overcome a bad hull design or inncorrect engine and if the boat is designed right and powered right wedges are the last thing a boater wants to add.

Give me a call if you want to learn more from what we see day in day out and we sell, service and run all technologies.

Cheers,

Huey.

All outboards at specfic hp will burn roughly the same amount of fuel. A 200hp engine will burn the same amount as the next 200hp of the same technology. There is only a difference in the actual consumption due to the prop, weight of the vessel and weather conditions.

A lot of the american boat sites have fuel curve/consumption graphs for there boats with different outboards and set ups. Hydra-sports web page have a very good one with all types and brands, 2 strokes 4 stroke etc.

Edited by Whaler 255

One these pages the outboards with the lowest fuel consumtion where Yamaha's HPDI,SHO, standard 4 strokes and Etec's in the 200-300hp range, with the 67-70 liters/hr for the Etec and Yamaha's 200hp SHO and HPDI.

97-105 litres/hr with the Yamaha 300 4stroke, SHO and HPI and Etec.

The Verado 200 L4 went 70-79 L/hr and the 300 Verado went 114L/hr.

So if you were not that happy with the Etec's fuel consumtion before,it isnt going to get much better, try the Yamaha's??