More fish from Botany Bay...

dhype

Hey Raiders -

A few more posts from recent trips in the Bay... still plenty of fish about!

One of my best experiences so far was landing this 67cm kingfish on 4lb line use a Stella 1000 reel with 2-4lb Luvis rod. Took a good 15 minutes to land in less than 1m of water. Was so much fun on bream gear... Caught using a pink SLAMBAITS.... nothing catchs fish like a SLAMBAIT! (thats what Mark Bergs says anyway..) :biggrin2:

post-10545-030187200 1306158492_thumb.jpg

We also landed plenty of flatties too that day!

post-10545-088664000 1306158529_thumb.jpg

This week..took a few friends who have never fished before + the wife out on the weekend for a quick 3 hour trip. Wanted to show them the art of fishing with lures etc.. Started the morning with a troll and land some bonnies..the laser pro taking all the fish.

Tried for some squid but no go as we only had 20 minutes... Went to get a feed of flatties on the flats and managed a few nice units in next to no time.. all taken on SLAMBAITS (cheaps a chips work great!). My mate landed his first fish EVER on a plastic and was very happy indeed.

Great day out with great company!

Some pics..

post-10545-056629700 1306158800_thumb.jpg

post-10545-027343000 1306158822_thumb.jpg

post-10545-010088900 1306158906_thumb.jpg

post-10545-036531900 1306158929_thumb.jpg

post-10545-036428200 1306158951_thumb.jpg

post-10545-005277900 1306158969_thumb.jpg

post-10545-075005000 1306159020_thumb.jpg

See ya all in the water.

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

Edited by dhype

Kings on bream gear ... now THAT'S entertainment! :biggrin2:

Congrats on yet another successful session Trung. A great feed of fish there. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Hey Hodgy -

Nothing better than kings on bream gear... i dare say that 67cm on 4lb was more rewarding/fun than the 91cm king I landed in the Bay a few weeks back on 40lb gear! All fish caught found good homes in my belly once again.... :thumbup:

Well done Trung, Botany bay is not as easy to get fish...which i hear and see plenty of guys empty handed but you seem to do well out of the bay....well done again and top photos. Cheers cg.

Hey CG - you are so true when you say the bay is a hard place to find fish... i do see many people come back to the ramp empty handed. It too took me many hours on the water to finally crack the Botany Bay code.

These days I tend to use lures most of the time and do rather well with them in Botany. Is it just me or do others also think that lures outfish bait in Botany Bay? I never seem to get much fish on bait other than with live squid.... LURES ROCK!

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey Hodgy -

Nothing better than kings on bream gear... i dare say that 67cm on 4lb was more rewarding/fun than the 91cm king I landed in the Bay a few weeks back on 40lb gear! All fish caught found good homes in my belly once again.... :thumbup:

Hey CG - you are so true when you say the bay is a hard place to find fish... i do see many people come back to the ramp empty handed. It too took me many hours on the water to finally crack the Botany Bay code.

These days I tend to use lures most of the time and do rather well with them in Botany. Is it just me or do others also think that lures outfish bait in Botany Bay? I never seem to get much fish on bait other than with live squid.... LURES ROCK!

Cheers

Trung

Hey Trung

Those people who master lures I believe do better than those who master bait.....but

In my opinion, mastering lure fishing is more involved than mastering bait fishing....Why ?

It is harder to fool fish consistently on imitations because you have to work harder at it - especially when the water temps drop and the bottom fish get very sluggish.

This is why your constant fruitful efforts are even more meritorious. Because you are using a more difficult technique and still doing very well.

I take my hat off to you (or should that be the beanie)....

I myself use bait exclusively but my target species are also fairly narrow.

You know maybe we should do a trip together and we can exchange some ideas.

I can help you out on bait - you can teach me using lures....

Not a bad exchange of info there.

PS - I like your final comment "See ya all in the water".

I hope I don't end up IN the water - just on it would be fine....

Let me know if you want to do a botany trip - in MY boat of course - you can inspect it before you board but you'll have to come over to my place and see it - just in case it is missing some critical feature you need......

Every one to their own. I think they all do well....it's a matter on how you present bait or lures to the fish and what months of the year plays a big role and a positive mind. I found at the George's the plastics, vibes and poppers are more productive in summer which i do better on baits in winter, interesting subject though, maybe a bunch of us raiders go and have a little comp for fun:thumbup: one weekend....we split half a group on bait and half on splatics, lures etc and all fish count in the weigh in. Cheers cg.

Hey George - you bring up a few interesting points about bait vs lures in botany bay. More so than anything - depending on the targeted species one will do better than the other...from my experience in the botany...

Predatory fish - flathead, tailor, bonito, salmon + squid ... lures will win no contest in the hands of an experienced fisher person.

For scavengers - whiting, bream, travs... baits will pull more fish. (some will say that bream can be caught in bigger numbers with lures but I have struggled in this area.. anyone what to give me a lesson here? :biggrin2: )

For Kingfish - Fresh/live squid will win by far! But if you take away squid as bait then I would say lures would be on par with all other bait when it comes to landing keeper kings

So - if we were to do a mini competition of bait vs lures in Botany Bay I would put $5 on the lure team coming home with the heavy total catch of KEEPER/LEGAL fish. Who is up for the challenge?

Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey George - you bring up a few interesting points about bait vs lures in botany bay. More so than anything - depending on the targeted species one will do better than the other...from my experience in the botany...

Predatory fish - flathead, tailor, salmon + squid ... lures will win no contest in the hands of an experienced fisher person.

For scavengers - whiting, bream, travs... baits will pull more fish. (some will say that bream can be caught in bigger numbers with lures but I have struggled in this area.. anyone what to give me a lesson here? :biggrin2: )

For Kingfish - Fresh/live squid will win by far! But if you take away squid as bait then I would say lures would be on par with all other bait when it comes to landing keeper kings

So - if we were to do a mini competition of bait vs lures in Botany Bay I would put $5 on the lure team coming home with the heavy total catch of KEEPER/LEGAL fish. Who is up for the challenge?

Trung

Hell yeah! bring it! since Trung is going to be on the lure team. I definitely am on the bait side :biggrin2: . Let me know when and where. P.S Trung, went and did some land base squidding in the harbour this arvo and got myself a bag of squid, all ready for the weekend. You going to be out this weekend?

Edited by quintrex480

Hey Trung

Those people who master lures I believe do better than those who master bait.....but

In my opinion, mastering lure fishing is more involved than mastering bait fishing....Why ?

It is harder to fool fish consistently on imitations because you have to work harder at it - especially when the water temps drop and the bottom fish get very sluggish.

This is why your constant fruitful efforts are even more meritorious. Because you are using a more difficult technique and still doing very well.

I take my hat off to you (or should that be the beanie)....

I myself use bait exclusively but my target species are also fairly narrow.

You know maybe we should do a trip together and we can exchange some ideas.

I can help you out on bait - you can teach me using lures....

Not a bad exchange of info there.

PS - I like your final comment "See ya all in the water".

I hope I don't end up IN the water - just on it would be fine....

Let me know if you want to do a botany trip - in MY boat of course - you can inspect it before you board but you'll have to come over to my place and see it - just in case it is missing some critical feature you need......

Hi Keflapod

Thanks for the kind words... i am still relatively new to lure fishing but have done ok in Botany for the past 2 years since i tied on my first lure. Still learning all the time....

I would love to get together with you for a fish, skills exchange and good old chat. I only have a small 3.9m tinny so fishing off a larger boat would be a great change! I'm going overseas for a few months for work and will give you a buzz when i get back for a fish...

Cheers

Trung