VHF Radio - DSC versus no DSC

Rafferty.Rules

I've put this in the boating section since it is sort of boat accessory related

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear opinions on whether or not you think DSC and NMEA0183 / emergency push button is really necessary on a VHF radio.

By way of story (if you're interested) the scenario is that the Lowrance LVR250 supplied with my new Ocean Runner (no don't start me on the dealer and other probs!!!), whilst having all the bells and whistles including DSC etc, is mounted in a stupid place. It is low down on the starboard panel beside the drivers feet below the seat so you cant hear it (despite the speaker in the PTT) and you cant see the channel unless you limbo down and squint (so the remote channel change in the PTT is pointless). It is also necessary to stop driving whilst performing any quick log in update with Marine Rescue or flick to the nominated weather channel (if you happen to hear it) since the passenger can to get to the radio either. It also gets wet when you hose the boat out because it is so close to the floor. Sorry if I sound picky but it is the simple things that annoy..geezuz......

Anyway, I decided that I would address the problem by moving the radio to the panel up high on the port side (past boats I've put it here). You can see it, hear it and passenger can look after it whilst driver drives. So after pulling it out (and discovering a wonderful jerry rigged installation method by Stacer) and held it in several proposed locations it turns out the thing is to long (depth = 170mm plus coax connector = about 200mm) to put anywhere sensible (hence the reason they chose to put it in a dumb place. The solution is that a GME VHF has a depth of just 77mm and less when flush mounted.

But here's the sting - for me at least. The GME600 does not have DSC, emergency call, NMEA chartplotter connectivity etc and is about $250. The GME600D has all the bell and whistles of the present Lowrance but is about $370. So, I also discovered that the emergency button that sends your position on Chnnel 70 isnt used by Marine Rescue in Australia anyway. Only big commercials use it. So I'm thinking that to save $100 I might forgot the DSC stuff - what do you reckon?

Interested in your thoughts.............new VHF purchase imminent.......

Edited by Fezza
content removed.

Hi, I'm also in the process of figuring out my chartplotter/VHF connection and DCS etc.

On the point of whether DSC is necessary I can repeat some info I got during a yachting Australia ocean safety course:

They seemed to think DSC was a fairly good idea because;

1) Your passengers may not know how to operate a radio properly/read your plotter so a push of a button is better than nothing, and

2) Even though marine rescue doesn't monitor it to a large extent, most (if not all) of the ships will have DSC capable VHFs so your signal will be received by them who can then relay your position.

Just remember that you should always follow DSC signaling by a voice call

Hope that helps a bit

discovered that the emergency button that sends your position on Chnnel 70 isnt used by Marine Rescue in Australia anyway. Only big commercials use it

Im not sure where you heard that. In NSW there are about 50 rescue bases registered as operating DSC radios. You can find a list here: https://apps.amsa.gov.au/mmsisearch/Default.aspx

Select MMSI Category "Land Based Station".

Select Owner Address State "NSW and click "search".

There are various CLASS of DSC radios. Some radios are dedicated for merchant type ship or base station use. Others are designed more for the pleasure market.

There is some easy reading about DSC CLASS's here:

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article/Better-than-a-Cell-Phone

http://www.searoom.com/dsc_info.html

Some general reading about DSC radio in Australia here : http://www.vhf-dsc.info/#

I cant vouch that all NSW Base Stations will be running the dedicated base station CLASS radios, so instead, in the early days of DSC some of the rescue bases ran normal boat DSC radios fixed to listen on the DSC 70 channel. Now with the improvements in receivers and availability of better radios etc, you will find that may modern VHF DSC radios will monitor the DSC channel 70 in the background while the operator is standing by on the normal ch 16. One of the main advantages of the base station class DSC radios is that they are able to send digital acknowledgements back to the vessel in distress so they know they have been heard.

Even if your local rescue base station doesnt have the special base station class DSC radio, there is still a very good chance that they will receive your DSC distress call (with your MMSI number, Lat/Long or whatever other data was programed with your transmission) This data will flash up on their screen. Then both DSC radios will generally automatically switch to VHF 16 so you can commence voice mayday traffic.

Many radios fitted to pleasure boats are now able to receive DSC calls. So even if your local base station doesnt have a DSC radio, there could be someone else nearby who gets the DSC call. If they are on the ball and know what the beeping sound coming from their radio means they may be able to assist or relay for you.

I dont want to confuse you with too many technical details. Hopefully you have understood my explaination.

After being in marine rescue within NSW for many years and currently working in the communications industry I hate seeing miss information circulating around. Our base purchased their first DSC radios in around 2003.

I'll be completely honest. I do not have a DSC radio in my boat. Its on my list (along with a better chart plotter, side imaging sounder, a down rigger and new clears) If I was buying one it would without doubt be a Icom. (and I dont have any work or financial interest in Icom)

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Why don't you just move the VHF and put a spacer behind the faceplate mounting to gain the clearence behind the unit. DSC is the only way to go, especially if its connected to a GPS and you should apply for a MMSI number from AMSA to gain to full benefit of the DSC.

Ha ha ha !!- yeah I thought of that but where I want to put it is only 100mm deep so the spacer would be a box section! Thats why the GME was good - not very deep. I think the DSC seems to be the go. I can offset the cost of a new one of course.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Much appreciated.

if its connected to a GPS and you should apply for a MMSI number from AMSA to gain to full benefit of the DSC.

...one more question.....

Where do you get the NMEA 0183 connecting cable? I didnt get one with my Elite5 and the VHF's dont seem to include it either.

Where do you get the NMEA 0183 connecting cable? I didnt get one with my Elite5 and the VHF's dont seem to include it either

Check the power cables of each item. Often they are a multi core power cable with the 12 volts and NMEA data wires. You need to join these together yourself. The last Icom VHF I helped a mate with had seperate red/black for power and another set of wires exiting for the NMEA. They dont normally use a dedicated link cable like you get on a computer with USB etc.

...one more question.....

Where do you get the NMEA 0183 connecting cable? I didnt get one with my Elite5 and the VHF's dont seem to include it either.

Any boat electronic dealers, whitworths etc. It could be a NMEA 0183, 2000, Ver 2.0, Ver 3.0 or Ver 3.1 so just check your manual before purchasing if you need one.

Hey mate the NMEA cable you need for the elite 5 is called the 'NDC-4 NMEA-0183 Output Cable', and its Lowrance manufacture number is 000-0119-31

Thanks mate (and everyone) just what I needed - a part number!

(BTW got the GME with DSC and did the new install today - all good and Port Jackson coming in loud and clear. Just the logger connection to go).

Wow ... they make you buy everything seperate these days.

oh well......

BTW the cable was $37. If I could figure out how to make my pic small enough to post I'd show you the before after.

I also found out that you have to have a MROCP to get a MMSI number. Anyone know where I can do the course around the Central Coast? Doesn't seem like the MR I am a member of nearby runs it. The on line test looks like a hassle with invigilator bookings etc etc........

oh well......

BTW the cable was $37. If I could figure out how to make my pic small enough to post I'd show you the before after.

I also found out that you have to have a MROCP to get a MMSI number. Anyone know where I can do the course around the Central Coast? Doesn't seem like the MR I am a member of nearby runs it. The on line test looks like a hassle with invigilator bookings etc etc........

Look here

http://www.coastalpatrol.org.au/education/marineradiocourse.htm

or just do a search for MROCP courses Central Coast

DSC, dont forget not all radios GME, ICOM etc can read the info sent or read different parts of info or dont send the full info! Also depends on whether your unit complies to what class, class D an international standard or SC-101 a US standard. SC-101 is obselete now. Also unless the VMR'S have DSC equipment meeting class A specifications that is full GMDSS compliance for big ships, they and ship stations other than class A are not able to acknowledge to you distress call. You are honestly better of using channel 16. There is also no long term future for DSC from what i have read.