Just a feed

G'day Raiders

It's been a while since I posted a report (thank you for the reminder, Swordie :biggrin2: ) so here goes. The fishing has finally begun to improve down here, as the water temperature steadily falls (13 degrees at the moment). Unlike my fishing mates in Syd, we have been spared 90% of the lousy weather. Today was one of the poorer days and it still looked terrific on the water.

post-3198-058569200 1307155552_thumb.jpg

In typical cold-water style, the fish are pretty lethargic when taking the lure. It's more of a discovery ("Hmmmm, there appears to be weight on my lure") as opposed to the indicator 'tick' in the line you get in warmer conditions.

Lure selection is very important here at the moment. Whilst color really doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, vibration is. 4" Swimming Mullet or 100mm Squidgy Wrigglers have accounted for the majority of the fish.

The fish haven't started to congregate together yet and you tend to cover a fair bit of water to get the numbers.

The outgoing tide is still my preferred time to target flathead, but the fish we found today were all caught on the incoming tide.

The most exciting thing for me at the moment is the amount of undersized fish we're catching. Dozens of flatties between 20-30cm have been caught over the last month, which is indicative of a healthy and thriving system IMO. Rest assured though, there is still a feed to be had and some huge loners spread throughout the system ;) Interestingly, the Fisheries Survey conducted over the last 3 months suggests that the average sized flathead are between 45-52cms.

Today we were visited by the Fisheries. Three very pleasant officers pulled up along side us today and enquired if we had caught anything, to which I replied "Yes we have, bream and flathead".

"Have you caught any to keep?"

"Yes we have"

"Really????"(The 'double-take the Officer in question did when I confirmed that we had fish on board nearly warranted whiplash!:lol: )

The icing on the cake for me though was when they asked me for my license and Deno for his 'concession card'! :risata: Not long after that the wind picked up making it bitterly cold and we called it a day. One bream 35cm and 4 flatties between 44-51cm made it into the esky, with 6 or 7 littlies being returned. Enough fillets to feed my family for dinner tonight. :thumbup:

post-3198-086544200 1307158346_thumb.jpg

Have a great weekend Raiders!

Cheers

Hodgey

Well done mate nice catch! :thumbup:

Ive been pulled up twice by fisheries, on both occassions it went like this "have u got any fish on board sir?", to which i replied "yes i have".. "can we take a look?".. "ofcourse you can"... "want to see my fishing license too?"... "Nah your right mate! have a good one"...

I dont mind the fisheries officers would be nice to see a bit more of them!

Musty

Very nice feed "young" Skip and "old" Deno! :074:

However, that water is pretty cool - 13 degrees. You wouldn't want to fall in!

Love the shot of the water too. Very peaceful!

Great to see another report from the Dynamic Duo of Tuross! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter