Budgewoi Beach

jamesjfa

Hi

I am new to fishing in Australia and new to beach fishing in general. Been a fly fisherman and since the move to Australia, really love the outdoor lifestyle.

I am located on the Central Coast around 10 minutes from Budgewoi, Jenny Dixon Beach etc. I have gone out and bought a 12' Surf rod and reel. When I spoke to the guy in the tackle shop, he sold me some sinkers, hooks, rod holder etc. On my first outing to Budgewoi i found that the line kept moving in the water, going slack etc. Not even a bite. With fly fishing, I was used to keeping the rod tip close the water to lift/strike in to a fish. After talking to someone in the work he advised when you are fishing from the beach, your rod tip needs to be high to reach over the breaking waves. He also advised to fish the gutters.

On 2nd trip, I put 3 hooks together (ganged) and used a salted pilly from as the bait. I casted out, and placed the rod in the rod holder and kept the line tight and adjusted as needed. Again I never caught anything, to be honest not even sure if I got any bites. Saw the rod moving but think it was the sinker in the current as when I collected the rod and never felt any bites. My setup has been as follows:

No 4 disk shaped sinker on the main line.

A swivel attached to the end of the line.

A leader of about 60cm to 100cm with the 3 ganged hooks (mustad size 6/0) on the end. The hooks seems a tad big as you can still see them when the pilly is attached.

Before I go out again (only been to Budgewoi), can anyone advise if the setup is ok? Any tips or advice or other locations in the area I can try? Oh and how do I find a gutter?

Thanks in advance and tight lines everyone,

James

Suggest you try Hargraves Beach, (just a bit north of Jenny Dixon) entry to beach from Werepi St. I fish off the beach from time to time and most times catch a feed.

Gets pretty busy over the weekends, counted 18 rods over couple hundred mtrs of beach few weekends back.

Friendly bunch and most are willing to chat about rigs, bait and what the have caught

Good luck with it

kp

I'm not familiar with Budgewoi (I'm down the southern end of the coast - Putty is my area but some general rules of thumb might help you.

Look for the gully, gutter (darker water) and try to cast into that. Ideally you want a nice rough surf with lots of water churning around. Go at feed times (although I do ok otherwise) and if there are rocks go near to the drop and on a run out tide.

If you want the line to stay tight - hold bottom (and on a rough day you will use a star sinker (weight depends) and go the paternoster rig. Its a good idea to learn how to do knots and dropper loops etc and take a range of pre made leaders with you. About 1200mm is good with your dropper half way as a start. Three gang No4 hook is good with a pilchard - teach yourself how to put the pillie on properly (last hook through the eye). I've caught a range of fish from port jackson sharks, gunny sharks, tailor, salmon, the odd stray snapper etc. Then again I've had days where the guy 20m down the beach is reeling them in and I cant get a bite.

Having said all that you rally need to target a species say tailor, salmon etc and rig for that and pick the right time of year and day (moon, tide, feeding etc). You might even have some luck with a 30g or 70g twister if you want to try a lure. As a beginner its ok to go to where other fisherman are (locals) and ask for tips etc (but dont set up right beside them!). (and read the advice of all the experts on this forum - there seem to be some good fisherman)

Be patient.....dont despair, I am now transitioning from beach and bay tinny fishing to mild off shore fishing and can say that after $50k for a boat and $$$$ in lures and sounders and fuel I've still caught diddly squat since February. One day I will get a Kingfish at Killcare wide (......so I know how you feel).

Thank you very much for the helpful information. It is very much appreciated.

At least it's a beautiful area to fish so enjoying the days even when the fish aren't biting.

Tight Lines,

James

Hi James,

Stick with it champ - you will get some soon. Try to fish after 4pm in the afternoons - a high tide helps but is not a must. I too, have fished Hargreaves successfully, so give that a go. Also, its much better to hang on to your rod, and not fish with it in the holder. Only use the holder when you are baiting up etc.

Let us all know how you go.

The Poacher

Hi James,

Stick with it champ - you will get some soon. Try to fish after 4pm in the afternoons - a high tide helps but is not a must. I too, have fished Hargreaves successfully, so give that a go. Also, its much better to hang on to your rod, and not fish with it in the holder. Only use the holder when you are baiting up etc.

Let us all know how you go.

The Poacher

Cheers Poacher I will stick with it. Fished all my life and this is just a different way. Can't beat the feeling, the anticipation, the sound of the reel taking line....

I did notice people coming on to Budgewoi later in the afternoon. Might give that a try too.

Cheers & Tight Lines,

James

Gday mate im heading up the coast 2morrow 4 a fish 4 a few days, try North Entrance right out the front of the beach track, there is usually a pretty good gutter there, Like the others r saying Hargraves is a good spot but is very buisy most times, Also try using live beach worms from the tackle shop for whiting and jews etc. At the Entrance fish out the front of the lake where it joins the beach, this is also a great spot. This time of year u have to find the gutters so go down at low tide and find a gutter and mark it with a stick or landmark so u can find it easily at high tide and throw out sum ganged pillies for salmon. my mate and i have been cleaning up on them the last week. also sum big flatties lurking in the gutters and tailor too. Hope this helps u out buddy. goodluck

Hi

I am new to fishing in Australia and new to beach fishing in general. Been a fly fisherman and since the move to Australia, really love the outdoor lifestyle.

I am located on the Central Coast around 10 minutes from Budgewoi, Jenny Dixon Beach etc. I have gone out and bought a 12' Surf rod and reel. When I spoke to the guy in the tackle shop, he sold me some sinkers, hooks, rod holder etc. On my first outing to Budgewoi i found that the line kept moving in the water, going slack etc. Not even a bite. With fly fishing, I was used to keeping the rod tip close the water to lift/strike in to a fish. After talking to someone in the work he advised when you are fishing from the beach, your rod tip needs to be high to reach over the breaking waves. He also advised to fish the gutters.

On 2nd trip, I put 3 hooks together (ganged) and used a salted pilly from as the bait. I casted out, and placed the rod in the rod holder and kept the line tight and adjusted as needed. Again I never caught anything, to be honest not even sure if I got any bites. Saw the rod moving but think it was the sinker in the current as when I collected the rod and never felt any bites. My setup has been as follows:

No 4 disk shaped sinker on the main line.

A swivel attached to the end of the line.

A leader of about 60cm to 100cm with the 3 ganged hooks (mustad size 6/0) on the end. The hooks seems a tad big as you can still see them when the pilly is attached.

Before I go out again (only been to Budgewoi), can anyone advise if the setup is ok? Any tips or advice or other locations in the area I can try? Oh and how do I find a gutter?

Thanks in advance and tight lines everyone,

James

Hi james and welcome :thumbup: to the fishraider site.

Keep going to the beach and don,t give up you will be rewarded.At budgewoi beach you can catch dart in close on prawns using paternoster rig , Late evening you can catch very good salmon and tailor using half pillies on paternoster rig just make sure the trace is 30lb or more as the tailor have razer sharp teeth , you can then put out a slab of tailor or salmon to try for a nice mulloway which is definately a good chance through the winter , just up the trace to suit , 50lb-80lb flurocabon + hook size to 10/0 beak hooks.

Put on some green glow beads if doing late arvo trip trust me the strike rate triples if fish are on the bite.

And like other raiders have said look for gutters , dark water areas this will be the best possible chance of hooking up GOOD LUCK

chris.

Gday mate im heading up the coast 2morrow 4 a fish 4 a few days, try North Entrance right out the front of the beach track, there is usually a pretty good gutter there, Like the others r saying Hargraves is a good spot but is very buisy most times, Also try using live beach worms from the tackle shop for whiting and jews etc. At the Entrance fish out the front of the lake where it joins the beach, this is also a great spot. This time of year u have to find the gutters so go down at low tide and find a gutter and mark it with a stick or landmark so u can find it easily at high tide and throw out sum ganged pillies for salmon. my mate and i have been cleaning up on them the last week. also sum big flatties lurking in the gutters and tailor too. Hope this helps u out buddy. goodluck

Cheers for that. Thought about trying the Entrance too.

Hi james and welcome :thumbup: to the fishraider site.

Keep going to the beach and don,t give up you will be rewarded.At budgewoi beach you can catch dart in close on prawns using paternoster rig , Late evening you can catch very good salmon and tailor using half pillies on paternoster rig just make sure the trace is 30lb or more as the tailor have razer sharp teeth , you can then put out a slab of tailor or salmon to try for a nice mulloway which is definately a good chance through the winter , just up the trace to suit , 50lb-80lb flurocabon + hook size to 10/0 beak hooks.

Put on some green glow beads if doing late arvo trip trust me the strike rate triples if fish are on the bite.

And like other raiders have said look for gutters , dark water areas this will be the best possible chance of hooking up GOOD LUCK

chris.

Another good point. I was using the same line (15lb) for the rig's I have been trying. Thank you for the tips. I will catch something..... eventually lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone for their advice.

On Friday I wend along to Hargraves Beach to have a look at the place. On Saturday I returned with the family and fishing gear. As I was arriving, their were people leaving with a bucket full of Salmon. I liked what I saw and quickly tackled up. The guy to the left of me caught one then they seemed to go off the bite. However around 90 mins later I caught and landed my very first Australian Salmon. This was quickly followed by 2 more. All three fish were returned safely to the water.

I really had a great afternoon.

Cheers,

James

Thank you very much for the helpful information. It is very much appreciated.

At least it's a beautiful area to fish so enjoying the days even when the fish aren't biting.

Tight Lines,

James