Brand New Merc 15hp Dead

kurtisjohnthomas

Can't believe this!!

Bought a brand new 15hp Merc from a dealer (Thank God)

Used 3 times since buying. Total 6hrs.

Driving along. Hear a slipping sound.. Slow down and sound stops..

Motor up again.. Get to first fishing destination. Stop motor.

15min latter decided to move.

Pull start has no traction.

Open motor up.

Shreded plastic everywhere and small washers.

WTF...

Then needed to be rescued..

Not happy.

Worst morning ever on the boat..

Can't believe this!!

Bought a brand new 15hp Merc from a dealer (Thank God)

Used 3 times since buying. Total 6hrs.

Driving along. Hear a slipping sound.. Slow down and sound stops..

Motor up again.. Get to first fishing destination. Stop motor.

15min latter decided to move.

Pull start has no traction.

Open motor up.

Shreded plastic everywhere and small washers.

WTF...

Then needed to be rescued..

Not happy.

Worst morning ever on the boat..

That's terrible mate! Absolutely terrible. Lucky it will be under warranty. Be interested to hear what went wrong / wasn't tight.

Good you got back ok too - thats probably the main thing........

Hi, sorry to hear that but it sounds like the rewind starter has failed and the 15HP Super you got is not as good as the US 15HP Merc I suggested you buy but you were shopping on price. I would not say the engine is dead as your heading suggests, more like just broken, which is unfortunate but can and does happen with all brands and yes sometimes after very little hours due to a faulty part.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, short or long term ownership does not really matter it should not have happened but it has and warranty will pay for it, just a pain for you to get it fixed and ruined your days boating. All outboards are mechanical devices made by us humans, that do make mistakes and things break.Usually if a part is faulty it will not last long as you have discovered, as an example a rewind starter that say lasts 4 years and then fails will not be faulty from new and something would of caused this failure and needs to be retified. In your case put it down to a bad part from new.

Cheers,

Huey.

sorry to hear about your trouble ,,can i ask what the price diff was between the U.S and the (guessing) china made motor.and tell your dealer how it wrecked your day and see if merc will throw a couple of freebies your way ,like merc oil,hats, shirts etc to keep you onside as you would think there Q.A would be better ,but i guess you just got a lemon rewind starter.

Guest Aussie007

$1950 for a 18HP engine? u outdone me i paid $1999 :ranting2::074: i wouldnt worry about your problem mate thats what a warranty is for and u have 5 years to go... i had the same model but a tohatsu besides a little rough idle it ran flawlessly as expected from a new engine but these things do happen and make sure u flush that motor good use a salt remover product i used mine a few times a week after a month or two i seen a lot of salt build up on the outside of the head gasket at around 10-15 hours and i flushed for 10mins each time using a timer look after it and it'll look after you again great little motors

Guest Aussie007

i had mine on a 3.75 allycraft 3 adults all fishing gear including downrigger 2 anchors the lot and it hauled ass there great little motors 1 person in the same boat was boarder line scary at full throttle lol

Guest Aussie007

i think the USA is 15hp the supers are 18HP its the same engine as the tohatsu 18HP

Edited by gazza

Hi, the Merc 15HP Super is the same as the Tohatsu 18HP just with a longer warranty and better backing. They are powerful 15HPs but not that much more than the superior Merc US 15HP that is quieter, more fuel efficient, easier to start, smoother, lighter but the best reason to buy the US is the fatures the US model gets like the tiller handle gear chnage, the much better co-pilot steering, the much better trim/tilt system that you can use like P/T/T with some practice that makes it the best all round 15HP anybody makes. Yes it costs more but you get what you pay for in life and I would buy the US over the Super every day of the week, but we sell more Supers due to the cheaper price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Ok, so I finally got the motor back. Was promised latest Wednesday morning. I got it Thursday lunch time after numerous calls and emails with no reply. Really not impressed.

Anyway they reckon it was a one off, but there was heaps of damage. They reckon they have never seen anything like this before. Anyway I reckon the motor could be a lemon and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Guest Aussie007

Ok, so I finally got the motor back. Was promised latest Wednesday morning. I got it Thursday lunch time after numerous calls and emails with no reply. Really not impressed.

Anyway they reckon it was a one off, but there was heaps of damage. They reckon they have never seen anything like this before. Anyway I reckon the motor could be a lemon and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

quick mate sell it ill give u $100? lol only kidding it more than likely wont happen again as all broken parts would have been replaced even if a part was still functioning but had wear and tear it would have been replaced the shop doesnt fork out for it mercury does be glad your engine was fixed in days some people wait months for warranty claims

Guest Aussie007

Took it out all day today. No promblemos till I got to the boat ramp and some douche had thrown lines in and I couldn't see them. Wrapped round the prop and stalled the motor.. Had to remove the prop and melt the line off..

u need to make sure u remove all the fishing line from your propeller shaft if u dont by summer your going to have a screwed gearbox as salt water will enter through the seal where the fishing line is holding the seal open and get into your gearbox and corrode it