Hard work in horrible conditions!

rjc123

Hey all, most would call me crazy for fishing on a day like today with pooring rain and howling winds. I fished at Balmoral for about 4 hours this afternoon and caught 4 yakkas that were quite big with the biggest 28cm an the smallest 20cm. They were too big for live bait so i kept a few for strip baiting next time im out. Also managed Bream to 24cm, Snapper to 27cm and saw a few flounder and silver trevs caught. In 4 hours also saw 3 octipus caught on pilli cast out into open water. They seem to be common around there. The yakkas are still around but burley is the key!

Tom

post-14949-026728800 1307865103_thumb.jpg

Not crazy just keen IMO In regardsto the yakkas being to big , they are a great size to butterfly and cast out unweighted.

If I was a bit younger I would have gone myself. Think I might go tomorrow. Good thing about this weather is NO CROWDS.

Not crazy just keen IMO In regardsto the yakkas being to big , they are a great size to butterfly and cast out unweighted.

If I was a bit younger I would have gone myself. Think I might go tomorrow. Good thing about this weather is NO CROWDS.

Yeh mate, there were actually a few people around fishing too! surprised me as the rain was quite heavy!

Hey Tom,

Those extra big yakkas were probably cowanyoung.

They are in the same league as slimy mackerel as top baits.

Mate you certainly deserve some credit for being out there in those conditions.

The things we do for a fix eh Tom?

Tony

Hey Tom,

Those extra big yakkas were probably cowanyoung.

They are in the same league as slimy mackerel as top baits.

Mate you certainly deserve some credit for being out there in those conditions.

The things we do for a fix eh Tom?

Tony

Yeh mate, i just love being out there! By the time i stopped fishing i coulnt move my hands! Those Cowanyoung, are they good for livebaiting or stip baits or butterflied??

Yeh mate, i just love being out there! By the time i stopped fishing i coulnt move my hands! Those Cowanyoung, are they good for livebaiting or stip baits or butterflied??

Tom,

yes they are good but each method of preparation would be different dependent on what species you're after.

Live or dead/butterlfied for kings / jew.

Fillets for smaller fish....

That yellow tail looked more like a mini king.

In terms of commitment, :biggrin2: , I safely beat you by making to the beach two days in a row and still hoping the weather will give me an two hour break today so that I could have another go before I have go back to work tomorrow. I did not have much luck on the fish though. caught and released a 65cm salmon on Saturday at Mona Vale Beach and yesterday only managed a 3 casts in a 30 minutes sesh @ Whale beach with only a nibble, had to pack up @ 4:30 pm before the rain came down, lucky I did as the rain was heavy on my way back.

@mack, mate at least you caught something. I was at botany bay from 6am to 9am and caught nothing. Got really soaked by the rain and the waves plus the wind almost blown me away a couple of times. I saw half a dozen boats passed me then most came back within the hour. Must be really rough out there yesterday. I was fishing landbased near the third runway.

Yeh mate, had another crack today for half an hour or so cuz the family went out for a coffee. bad weather but still managed a yakka, trevally and undersized snapper! Droped a slimie when lifting him up too!! Damn!

That yellow tail looked more like a mini king.

In terms of commitment, :biggrin2: , I safely beat you by making to the beach two days in a row and still hoping the weather will give me an two hour break today so that I could have another go before I have go back to work tomorrow. I did not have much luck on the fish though. caught and released a 65cm salmon on Saturday at Mona Vale Beach and yesterday only managed a 3 casts in a 30 minutes sesh @ Whale beach with only a nibble, had to pack up @ 4:30 pm before the rain came down, lucky I did as the rain was heavy on my way back.

Mate, is it true that yakkas grow into kings?? i heard this the other day?