Trailer Advice Needed

Outnumbered

G'day all

I've decided the boat needs a fully rollered trailer under her to make solo launch/retrieves easier.

only problem is i dont know how to go about converting it so any advice would be much appreciated

Edited by Outnumbered

Guest Jocool

Depending on the configuration of your current trailer, it will mean you just add the needed wobble rollers in the appropriate places. Theses can be got in single, dual, and quad setups. DON'T weld the brackets to the trailer as this will ruin your Gal. Rasther use brackets that bolt to the frame. I would guess that you will need 4 quads.

When you fit them, try and position them so that they land on a part of the hull that would have stringers along it. Gives it extra support. You will need a pair of quads right at the back under the transom, and you may get away with duals rather than quads in the middle of the hull. Would also pay to put a pair of singles right up the front to assist in guiding the boat on to the trailer in a straight line.

You can get them at Bias or Whitworths, but I don't know how the price compares to other stockists. I know some cravan/trailer accessories places stock them.

Guest Jocool

Never done it personally, but have seen it done. Mark the approximate position of the rollers on the trailer with a permannet marker. This of course, after you have taken into consideration positioning of the rollers on the boat, regarding stringers ect. Then drop the boat in the water, fit , then retrieve and adjust.

I would say it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours maximum at the ramp, if you have marked the trailer at home and have a mate to help!

It goes without saying, ensure that you have keel rollers to take the weight of the boat, in addition to the wobble rollers to keep it straight. I saw a boat last week with a big crack right through the side of the hull. It had been travelling on a trailer without keel rollers, only support was the wobble rollers. Ouch!