Fishing in Cairns

Fish2day

Took a week off from work and headed to Cairns to escape Sydney's winter. Weather was almost perfect all week long.

Decided to book a half-day fishing trip for morning session, and took off from the marina at 7:30am, the owner and operator cast the net catching live baits just from around the break walls in the marina.There were plenty of little fish and not sure what they're called which most fishing charters used as bait.

There were six anglers on the boat, and we went as far as 8km into the Trinity inlet (river system in Cairns) for the first stop.

It was low tide and current was quite strong, operator put livies on every rod and flicked the bait too... so I never get to touch the rod for the first 30 mins.

Leaving the rod in the holder hole, it was peacefully quiet, no one spoke a word. Scenery was beautiful and only 2-3 boats passing during the 1 hour stay.

After 15 minutes or so, someone saw a rod bent... and he pulled up a GT about 1.5kg, then it went quiet again.

post-13279-018194700 1307961483_thumb.jpg

After 1 hour we were told to wind up and handed the rods back to the operator. He took the boat to a spot near a ship wreck.

Routines rolled again, livies were put on, rod was flicked. Waited and waited.... then mine rod bent. Wind up the line, and was instructed on how to do it like I've never fished before. Caught a madfish... (first time I heard about it), it looked almost like a tailor, but with more spiky tail and longer pect fins. Nice figthing fish :)

Then no one caught anything... after almost one hour, we moved toward Cairns, right in front of the navy dock. Anchors were dropped and ... again the routines.

post-13279-023306300 1307961458_thumb.jpg

Now, this is the interesting part. It was the last hour of the trip and this spot was so productive. I caught a queenfish and two fingermarks

post-13279-038972300 1307961521_thumb.jpg.

Other anglers had their baits taken too. All fish caught were released, operator did not offer to keep... even though the flyer says "esky is provided to keep your catch fresh"... LOL

I wonder why the operator did not take us to this spot from the beginning. Quite unhappy with operator's attitude (claims that he's run the business for 25 years, maybe he's bored). The boat was equipped with a mini toilet, but when business called I was told to do it at the back of the boat straight into the river... You folks can imagine doing that in an open water :)

Overall, fishing was good at the last spot, but don't be bothered to choose the operator just because it say toilet or tea/coffee provided in the brochure (none was offered). At the end of the trip, we were taken to a creek and ware showed a croc sun bathing before boat was driven to marina.

post-13279-039994500 1307963270_thumb.jpg

I didn't take too many photos, but here they are attached.

Edited by Fish2day

Pitty your experience wasn't a great one, my first experience there was awesome. Only let down for us was it was spawning seasoning or something for the coral, so we couldn't head out far.

I went to cairns about 2 years ago, taken on a similar boat as in the pic, no toilet though.

We had some crazy action... 1 guy pulled up a cuda, must have been the length and size of my leg with huge teeth, took about 20 minutes to bring in and the skipper cut the line when we all saw it. Few people caught queen fish etc, 1 other guy lost a 30min battle.

But the catch of the day, was my one... actually it was my wifes rod lol. While she was chatting away with some other females and her back was turned from her rod, it suddenly bent like crazy and I quickly reacted. I was such a noob and didn't let the drag out or anything, I just reeled it in really fast and by the time it got to the boat it was still very active and start going under the boat! I eventually got it up... it was a finger mark, it was between 1.1 to 1.3m in length, not sure how heavy. Took it back to the hotel, wrapped it in foil, put on the bbq, it was enough for 4 people.

shame about the flop of a charter, i also went on a dodge charter on the inlet up there, except i took my own gear and cast into the mangroves after all that's were the fish up there live, in the snags. lost some tackle but it was mine so he didn't mind, got a number of small gt's, moses perch, finger mark, small queens and a few other bits. mean while rest of the boat managed maybe a fish each if that, as he kept setting the rods for them and in the holder. a few tried to cast in the mangroves and lost some gear, but he put a stop to that saying the fish swim in the channel in this tide lol lost gear, re-rigging all too much hard work.

In saying that i did go on another charter up there (same week) that encourage us to cast in the snags and was constantly retying gear, and worked his bum off. Its all about the enthusiasm of the guide. all goes pear shaped when it goes from a passion to a "job".

i was up there 3 weeks ago, and fished the same place, trinity inlet..went on a half day tour with this operator who catches the crabs (he had several traps in different areas of the inlet, under the mangroves)..no fish at all that day but found about 7 mud crabs in one trap and they were lunch (there was only 4 people on board too!)...so it was 50/50..

later that day i fished off from the "Wharf F" on the marina (hired the tackle from the small boat hire place in the marina, $12 for the whole day!!) and caught 5 good sized "QLD grunters" !! no pics as i was fishing by myself and my camera is too heavy to carry around! :wacko:

the fish went well on the bbq along the broadwalk/esplanade...

PS/ that croc is a regular on trinity inlet, i guess! well, arnt they all in that part of Australia anyway? :biggrin2:

Mate, Ive been on 2 up there. The first i only got 1 catfish the whole time. the second i got queenies, trevally, Fingermark, Grunter, Bream and Mud Crabs. Both of them were bout 3 years ago. Big difference in the charter quality! I went on two different boats. PM me which charter you went on so i can tick it off the list for next time!

Pitty your experience wasn't a great one, my first experience there was awesome. Only let down for us was it was spawning seasoning or something for the coral, so we couldn't head out far.

I went to cairns about 2 years ago, taken on a similar boat as in the pic, no toilet though.

We had some crazy action... 1 guy pulled up a cuda, must have been the length and size of my leg with huge teeth, took about 20 minutes to bring in and the skipper cut the line when we all saw it. Few people caught queen fish etc, 1 other guy lost a 30min battle.

But the catch of the day, was my one... actually it was my wifes rod lol. While she was chatting away with some other females and her back was turned from her rod, it suddenly bent like crazy and I quickly reacted. I was such a noob and didn't let the drag out or anything, I just reeled it in really fast and by the time it got to the boat it was still very active and start going under the boat! I eventually got it up... it was a finger mark, it was between 1.1 to 1.3m in length, not sure how heavy. Took it back to the hotel, wrapped it in foil, put on the bbq, it was enough for 4 people.

Are you sure it was a fingermark? They only grow up to a maximum of 85cm. I may be wrong but that would be the biggest by a country mile i have ever heard of!!

by the sound of it i went on the same dud charter 3 years ago. the guy wouldnt let us touch the rods or supply food like the flyer said. The guy has a really bad attitude too. waste of money didnt catch a thing all day just sat at the wreck for the entire half day.

Are you sure it was a fingermark? They only grow up to a maximum of 85cm. I may be wrong but that would be the biggest by a country mile i have ever heard of!!

Opps... I clearly remember that I measured it with my arm, it was as long as my arm, and I for some reason just estimated it is over a metre long. I pulled out the ruler just now, LOL it is not a metre long haha its a tad over 60cm :074:

Opps... I clearly remember that I measured it with my arm, it was as long as my arm, and I for some reason just estimated it is over a metre long. I pulled out the ruler just now, LOL it is not a metre long haha its a tad over 60cm :074:

Still a nice fish mate, i got one of that size up at weipa last year. They are great fighters!

Took a week off from work and headed to Cairns to escape Sydney's winter. Weather was almost perfect all week long.

Decided to book a half-day fishing trip for morning session, and took off from the marina at 7:30am, the owner and operator cast the net catching live baits just from around the break walls in the marina.There were plenty of little fish and not sure what they're called which most fishing charters used as bait.

There were six anglers on the boat, and we went as far as 8km into the Trinity inlet (river system in Cairns) for the first stop.

It was low tide and current was quite strong, operator put livies on every rod and flicked the bait too... so I never get to touch the rod for the first 30 mins.

Leaving the rod in the holder hole, it was peacefully quiet, no one spoke a word. Scenery was beautiful and only 2-3 boats passing during the 1 hour stay.

After 15 minutes or so, someone saw a rod bent... and he pulled up a GT about 1.5kg, then it went quiet again.

After 1 hour we were told to wind up and handed the rods back to the operator. He took the boat to a spot near a ship wreck.

Routines rolled again, livies were put on, rod was flicked. Waited and waited.... then mine rod bent. Wind up the line, and was instructed on how to do it like I've never fished before. Caught a madfish... (first time I heard about it), it looked almost like a tailor, but with more spiky tail and longer pect fins. Nice figthing fish :)

Then no one caught anything... after almost one hour, we moved toward Cairns, right in front of the navy dock. Anchors were dropped and ... again the routines.

Now, this is the interesting part. It was the last hour of the trip and this spot was so productive. I caught a queenfish and two fingermarks

Other anglers had their baits taken too. All fish caught were released, operator did not offer to keep... even though the flyer says "esky is provided to keep your catch fresh"... LOL

I wonder why the operator did not take us to this spot from the beginning. Quite unhappy with operator's attitude (claims that he's run the business for 25 years, maybe he's bored). The boat was equipped with a mini toilet, but when business called I was told to do it at the back of the boat straight into the river... You folks can imagine doing that in an open water :)

Overall, fishing was good at the last spot, but don't be bothered to choose the operator just because it say toilet or tea/coffee provided in the brochure (none was offered). At the end of the trip, we were taken to a creek and ware showed a croc sun bathing before boat was driven to marina.

Hey mate, that looks to be the exact same charter boat/operater I went on when I was up in cairns in December. Luckily for you a fish ate your bait. For me the only fish caught on the boat was 1 small queenie someone else and I landed the tiniest barra ever. Wasnt worth it to me at the end of the day !!

We should have a weipa social. Would cost a bomb, but imagine the fishing...

That really would be something... The fishing is mind blowing if you know when and where to go. They say that you can catch 50 species in a week of fishing these waters. Not to mention some of the tastiest fish on the planet. One session we had we managed about 7 different species in 20 mins when fishing a little drain that was about 1 meter deep! We even brought up a half eaten queenie (big queenie)! you dont want to swim up here though! Croc and shark Galore!! Great fun!

I recognise this charter now! we went out with him a few years back and during the trip the boat caught queenies, goldens, jacks, Grunter, Bream, fingermark and small barra. He looks like hes lost it a bit now! Fingermark are absolutely amazing eating. He should have put it on ice for you!

Edited by mack attack 79