Sat' Morn' On The Parra'...

Pukka

I woke up Saturday morning feeling 'crook as dog' and the temptation to stay in a nice warm bed was high, but I ventured out anyway in the knowledge that this would probably be my last chance to fish before the ABT comp' in Taree next weekend.

I got to the ramp about 6.45 and was greeted by a thick wall of icy fog. I decided it would be a good idea not too venture too far from the ramp, so I started hitting a few hulls until the fog started to lift.

First signs weren't encouraging, a few taps, a couple of undersize and everything seemed very still and cold, including me! It didn't take too long for the sun to do it's stuff however and with the improved conditions, I slowly motored to a couple of my fave spots.

I hit the hulls of two large yachts where I'd previously encountered big bream. These yachts sit just off the main current line and are big enough to need a couple of casts either side to fully cover. I worked both the hulls over and the shoreline nearby only to get one tap and another undersize bream. I was just starting to wonder what my next move would be when a half-hearted cast to an innocuous looking little half-cab got nailed by something substantial.

The fish made a blisteringly hard first run, I put on some side strain and managed to get a few metres of line back before it ran again. The drag squealed and I leant over the side of the boat with my rod submerged under the water almost up to the reel in an effort to avoid the boats keel. I almost thought I had it beat, but then my heart sank as I felt the leader begin to scrape against the mooring rope. I leccy'd over to the rope and could still feel 'thumps' from the fish. Only one thing left to do to try and save the situation, so I took my bail arm off and hoped the fish would still be around as I tried to unravel the line by passing the rod and reel between the rope and the moored boat. Unfortunately all the effort was to be in vain, as I finally lifted up the mooring rope to discover the remainder of the leader, no lure and no fish.

Well, for the next half an hour or so I was haunted by visions of my failed fight with the bream from hell, which was now growing in scarey proportions every time I recounted it in my mind. A few choice swear words helped but after landing a very nice 37cm to the fork fish, I was well and truely cured.

The tide was fully running out by now and the bite just seemed to get better and better. A heap of smaller fish started hitting the deck and I had the feeling that any one of the 'taps' I was getting could be a great fish.

It was at this point that I bumped into Sputnik and Paul testing out Paul's sexy looking new Attack. We chatted for a bit and as they headed off I let a cast go at a nice big hull and immediately got 'whallopped'! I screamed to Mike and Paul to come back, this fish had to be a big'n. I leccy'd away from the boat and the fish made a couple of concerted runs to get back to the hull from where it came. Five or so minutes later and to my great relief, I had a 41cm bream in the net. Mike did the honours with the pic', a few measurements were taken, and Mr, (or Mrs?), Bluenose was returned to the drink. It's been a long time since I've caught a 'forty', and needless to say, I was 'over the moon' with the catch and couldn't stop laughing when it finally hit the deck - awesome stuff!

For a short time after, all went a little quiet and I moved on working the bays and boats I'd never hit before. I fished the back of a few bays, but I had an inkling the fish had more of a liking for boats with a bit of flow under them. I worked the outer boats in every bay and started to find fish again including a nice lookin' 38cm fish. What a morning it was turning out to be I thought, only a handful of average sized fish followed however, so I decided to move to Five Dock Bay for more hull bashing.

I arrive at Five Dock, motor slowly up to my favourite boat, put the Minn Kota down, throw the first cast and within seconds, my lure is hit by another 38'er! Mike receives yet another annoying SMS! Sorry Mike. ;)

I fished for a little longer but the bites got fewer, the sun got hotter and the headache I'd carried all morning really began to kick in, ('the one and only time I'll ever forget my hat again!').

And just to put the 'cherry' on top of an awesome morning, I picked up a 36cm fish off the last hull before heading back to the ramp! :D

Pukk'

P.S. A combination of Bug Ants on 1/16th's, and hard bodies 'did the damage'.

P.P.S. Apologies for the long post. :)

Edited by Pukka

Guest Jocool
P.P.S. Apologies for the long post. :)

50891[/snapback]

No need for apologies mate! We love long reports. Great read, and good to see you made up for getting smashed on a mooring rope. :thumbup:

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

The last pic taken by Mike, is the 41 he witnessed. Unfortunately I was too excited to think of where the sun was coming from and it didn't make for a good shot, but what the hell the memory will stay with me for a long time.

Speaking of photos, you wouldn't believe the fish in the first two shots are actually the same size. Amazing how different a fish can look when taken from different angles.

Thanks again and glad you enjoyed the read!

Joe

Edited by Pukka

Unfortunately I was too excited to think of where the sun was coming from and it didn't make for a good shot

I get caught like that as well Joe & now I use fill in flash all the time. It helps a lot :biggrin2:

Now I need a little boat to put my camera on so I can use the timer :1naughty: Its a drama with rod under the arm / fish in same hand /camera in other etc etc :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Or maybe I should fish with others :tease:

I get caught like that as well Joe & now I use fill in flash all the time. It helps a lot  :biggrin2:

Now I need a little boat to put my camera on so I can use the timer  :1naughty: Its a drama with rod under the arm / fish in same hand /camera in other etc etc :biggrin2:  :biggrin2:

Or maybe I should fish with others  :tease:

51030[/snapback]

Hey Ken, I'm pretty sure Mike used flash for that shot, but the boat drifted a bit too far away unfortunately, and it didn't really fill-in very much. I was really pleased Mike offered to take the shot however, my hands were still shaking! :D;)

Joe