Gymea Bay

Yowie

Fished Gymea Bay early this morning, near the northern side. Water had a bit of brown colour, plenty of floating sticks, leaves, weed, but no wind for a while.

Pulled out 3 bream from 29 to 38cm, a just legal reddie, 2 red gurnard about 36cm and a bonito over 40cm. Lost 2 bream when they reefed me under the rocks, one was bigger than the 38cm model but could not stop him on 6 pound line, he kept going and under a ledge.

Had a try in South West Arm for squid, but not a thing at several spots. I did see a turtle's head pop out of the water, take a breath and down he swam. There have been turtles up in the Arm for many years.

Yowie.

Nice feed of Bream there Yowie.

I used to paddle a surf ski on the hacking a few times a week and saw many turtles over the years. Biggest surprise was when i accidently caught one on a whole squid off the stones near the mouth of the river, thought it was a ray when i first saw the shape then up pops his head with a hook in his mouth.Poor fella. Anyway, i'm pretty sure they just come in and out of the system at times rather than being permanent residents.

R

Fished Gymea Bay early this morning, near the northern side. Water had a bit of brown colour, plenty of floating sticks, leaves, weed, but no wind for a while.

Pulled out 3 bream from 29 to 38cm, a just legal reddie, 2 red gurnard about 36cm and a bonito over 40cm. Lost 2 bream when they reefed me under the rocks, one was bigger than the 38cm model but could not stop him on 6 pound line, he kept going and under a ledge.

Had a try in South West Arm for squid, but not a thing at several spots. I did see a turtle's head pop out of the water, take a breath and down he swam. There have been turtles up in the Arm for many years.

Yowie.

Nice feed yowie some really good bream you lost it sounds like :ranting2: Great weather this morning for a fish,i strolled down to wallies wharf with the kids and met a fisherman catching mullet off the wharf for bait he had kingfish in his berley trail which was good to see,then off to the park to let the kids have fun.

Really looking forward to get out next week in the hacking if weather permits.

It's really great to see turtles around :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

chris.

Hey Yowie, im heading out on the hacko for a seshion tonight. Were you getting the bream on bait or lures?

Baits, salted mullet was the best. The bigger bream preferred that, but then again, 2 of then reefed me as I was throwing the baits near the rocks.

Nice feed of Bream there Yowie.

I used to paddle a surf ski on the hacking a few times a week and saw many turtles over the years. Biggest surprise was when i accidently caught one on a whole squid off the stones near the mouth of the river, thought it was a ray when i first saw the shape then up pops his head with a hook in his mouth.Poor fella. Anyway, i'm pretty sure they just come in and out of the system at times rather than being permanent residents.

R

I hooked a big one years ago, may have just swum into the line. I had 500 yards of 12 pound line on a hand caster, and the thing just kept swimming, did not slow down at all. When I had the last couple of turns on the caster, I just hung on, and the line snapped next to the hook. I could feel those big flippers power him through the water.