My First Flattie

Took the family to the Hawkesbury in the morning. By the time we got in the water it was high tide, around 10:30am. I had 1 rigg on gang hooks and another on a light bream setup. Put the burley bucket down, it was quiet. As soon as the tide turned, it ran quite fast. I immediately top up my burley bucket and put new pillies/prawn on my lines. It was going off! I couldn't even get time to put new bait on one of my lines as the other line would be going as well. This went on for about 30 minutes. Generally for me peeled prawns are the gun bait, but today it was cubed pillies. In that time I pulled up 1 catfish eel, 1 normal looking eel, 4 flatheads and a small tailor. The next hour or so slowed down, then it was completely dead so I called it a day. Threw everything back except for one 44cm flatty.

I really must take my hat off to Cut_Loose, who has helped me tremendously. Thanks so much mate, I really appreciate all your help. Definitely the best session I've ever had! :yahoo:

post-18882-062158600 1308386683_thumb.jpg

post-18882-067443000 1308386694_thumb.jpg

Edited by dpham

Mate, where abouts were you fishing? congrats on your first flattie! They are a great fish to catch and sometimes fight very hard on light gear! :thumbup:

Right here (green marker):

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=-33.53126,+151.22919+&aq=&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=45.511701,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.53424,151.233888&spn=0.020927,0.038581&t=h&z=15

It was awesome on bream gear. I did loose 3 very very hard pulls, felt like twice the weight as the flattie I took. I wasn't sure what to do... I saw my rod tip do a full U straight down, took it out of the holder and just started to reel... I didn't set the hook or anything, just too excited. When I got it close to the boat I lost it! And 2 more similar occurrences :074: lost them too! :074: What am I supposed to do when when my rod bends like that ...! Should I have let me drag out and let it run?

sorry mate, im no good with google earth :074: I have very similar sessions to that off the south western corner of Dangar Island. We always get a few legal flatties, Tailor, Small Bream with a whiting or catfish thrown in. I find that if you are up for a challenge in the middle of the river next to where you were in the same line there is a great spot for jewies (big jewies)! Next time your out have a rod out with a livie or fresh squid or tailor, 1 out with a prawn and another with cubed pili

Edited by mack attack 79

Also, when you were asking what to do when a big fish hits and runs with your bait all you have to do is tighten the drag and give it a wack. If there is still weight then either pump and wind or loosen the drag and let the fish run. I had a similar expereience near you about a year ago. I had a prawn out and all of a sudden the rod buckled over and the reel was screaming! I picked it up and gave it a wack to set the hook and it kept running. I locked my drag up giving no line to the fish and the line kept coming off!! It spooled me! Big Jew or Shovelnose shark i think!

Well done mate, i'm glad you finally got into some fish :)

Things will only get better from here on in, by the time summer comes round you should be killin it :1fishing1:

The Hawkesbury was a wise move, i wish i went there. I am without a doubt going to be more prepared next week and fish there

I went to Botany but i was so windy, i ended up coming in after 2 hours, the wind and the chop, i just got soaked even in my boat with the windscreen, there was hobbys out there getting smashed !

And i caught nothing, you done better then me mate :)

And if you get those live poddys out on the Hawkesbury you'll find yourself picking up double the Flatties.

Took the family to the Hawkesbury in the morning. By the time we got in the water it was high tide, around 10:30am. I had 1 rigg on gang hooks and another on a light bream setup. Put the burley bucket down, it was quiet. As soon as the tide turned, it ran quite fast. I immediately top up my burley bucket and put new pillies/prawn on my lines. It was going off! I couldn't even get time to put new bait on one of my lines as the other line would be going as well. This went on for about 30 minutes. Generally for me peeled prawns are the gun bait, but today it was cubed pillies. In that time I pulled up 1 catfish eel, 1 normal looking eel, 4 flatheads and a small tailor. The next hour or so slowed down, then it was completely dead so I called it a day. Threw everything back except for one 44cm flatty.

I really must take my hat off to Cut_Loose, who has helped me tremendously. Thanks so much mate, I really appreciate all your help. Definitely the best session I've ever had! :yahoo:

Great being out and about with the family fishing , good work on catching some fish .

Hopefully on the next trip you will hook a nice jew :thumbup:

chris