Reef Magic report - Sunday 19th

Hi all,

We after some terrible conditions over the past few weeks we finally got out yesterday. We had a crew of 6 that Josh had organised and the boys were set with some jigging gear and looking forward to catching their first tuna.

We got some livies and headed out tho the 12 mile and donated some jigs to the leatherjackets - they just seem to be getting worse every trip. We were marking some kings but they were under the jackets and you just couldn't get to them. The conditions were very sloppy with a 15-20 knot south westerly & a 2 metre swell which was predicted to drop off later. We trolled out south of Browns and set a cube trail, it wasn't long and one of the boys got a stripey on a jig and all was quiet for a while. We had three bit offs while cubing - possible shark or the dreaded green toad??? The conditions had backed off but a few of the boys got seasick but struggled on through the day.

While letting a cube out a nice fish took a run and we were on - after a short battle we boated a nice 12kg albacore and it wasn't long before one was hooked on a jig which put up a great fight on the little jig stick with a saltiga 4500. Right on 4 oclock when Josh had his pilly out at the end of the strip off it went, Josh set the hook and the fish tracked high in the water across around the stern, he called for a gimble and Damo asked if he wanted a harness (which was declined) soon after the fish realised it was hooked a headed for the abyss... straight down. This was an incredible show of strength from a fish on 24 as Damo got the harness on him. Josh was saying that he was going to get spooled and the drag was pushed up - the fish seemed to slow.. for a moment then hit 2nd gear. There was no way we could do anything as the fish was straight up and down and had 800 metres of line off the reel after 15 minutes and the drag on sunset the leader popped and Josh was left very sore and tired. Unfortunately it was very disappointing not to see what it was - there were early calls of a shark as it tracked high in the water but i have never seen a shark have that raw speed for so long - it could have been a big blue fin but the water was a bit to warm (21 deg) or a big yellowfin but in all my years and i have caught plenty of fish 80+ have never seen one go like that.

The other option could have been a blue marlin - they have the staying power off a sustained long run like that. Anyway unfortunately we will never know.

We managed one more albacore on the jig and headed for home at 5.45pm in pretty sloppy seas as the wind picked back up - Damo filleted the fish for them and we dropped them off at Rose Bay wharf and 7.30pm.

It was great to meet a good bunch of bloke who were all very keen fisho's. Hope you have a great time in NZ and get some monster kings - hope to see you again on Reef Magic.

Cheers Mike

oh well sounds like it ended up a reasonable day there for the lads out on "Reefmagic" a little unfortunate about loosing such a large critter and alls you can do is speculate at what it could have been we hooked a rather large spearfish whilst out Heatons hill some few weeks ago then the next week got a 75kgtuna on deck at my guess I'd say it could have just been an Xos yellowfin with fin of that calibre around surely there'd be some triple figure 1's swimming about...good work lads but better luck next time with the Honkers.

Great Report Mike!

I wonder what that big run was...Sounds bery Blue Marlinish to me...?

Great work, :thumbup:

Mike

Hi Mike,

Heard that another boat got spooled on 15kg yesterday - I would say they are big yellowfin or bluefin, ours didnt even look like stopping. Might have to get the 80kg standups back out!!!!

Cheers Mike

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Just my two bobs worth

6 years ago at browns we hooked a massive mako, it jumped really high that's how we know what it was

Without it jumping the fight sounds very similar to your fight. Ours stayed high in the water then emptied a Penn inter 50 straight down this shark was BIG

Still to this day and after capturing two blue marlin on my boat one over 100kg the other over 200kg .This mako fight was the hardest fight ive ever had the pleasure of witnessing

After emptying the spool we went to sunset and stopped it but this shark had the speed of a blue marlin with the never say die attitude of a big fin

fortunatly or not the hooks pulled after 1.25hrs maybe 50m from the boat

fish was hooked and fought on 80lb short leader and mustard 8[0 tuna circle definatly not shark gear

without the jumps i would have called it for a 100kg plus fin

just my story not saying what u guys encounted was a shark or not.

would have loved to be on board not many people get to see such power from something that swims.

Thanks to mike and Damo for a great day out in pretty hard conditions. Looking to round up a fresh batch of lads to give it another crack in the up coming weeks.

Ps: my back Is still sore from that monster that kicked my ass, there was no way I was stopping what ever was attached to the end of my line haha. That's what game fishing is all about.

Thanks again boys and will keep in touch..

Josh walden.

Hi all,

We after some terrible conditions over the past few weeks we finally got out yesterday. We had a crew of 6 that Josh had organised and the boys were set with some jigging gear and looking forward to catching their first tuna.

We got some livies and headed out tho the 12 mile and donated some jigs to the leatherjackets - they just seem to be getting worse every trip. We were marking some kings but they were under the jackets and you just couldn't get to them. The conditions were very sloppy with a 15-20 knot south westerly & a 2 metre swell which was predicted to drop off later. We trolled out south of Browns and set a cube trail, it wasn't long and one of the boys got a stripey on a jig and all was quiet for a while. We had three bit offs while cubing - possible shark or the dreaded green toad??? The conditions had backed off but a few of the boys got seasick but struggled on through the day.

While letting a cube out a nice fish took a run and we were on - after a short battle we boated a nice 12kg albacore and it wasn't long before one was hooked on a jig which put up a great fight on the little jig stick with a saltiga 4500. Right on 4 oclock when Josh had his pilly out at the end of the strip off it went, Josh set the hook and the fish tracked high in the water across around the stern, he called for a gimble and Damo asked if he wanted a harness (which was declined) soon after the fish realised it was hooked a headed for the abyss... straight down. This was an incredible show of strength from a fish on 24 as Damo got the harness on him. Josh was saying that he was going to get spooled and the drag was pushed up - the fish seemed to slow.. for a moment then hit 2nd gear. There was no way we could do anything as the fish was straight up and down and had 800 metres of line off the reel after 15 minutes and the drag on sunset the leader popped and Josh was left very sore and tired. Unfortunately it was very disappointing not to see what it was - there were early calls of a shark as it tracked high in the water but i have never seen a shark have that raw speed for so long - it could have been a big blue fin but the water was a bit to warm (21 deg) or a big yellowfin but in all my years and i have caught plenty of fish 80+ have never seen one go like that.

The other option could have been a blue marlin - they have the staying power off a sustained long run like that. Anyway unfortunately we will never know.

We managed one more albacore on the jig and headed for home at 5.45pm in pretty sloppy seas as the wind picked back up - Damo filleted the fish for them and we dropped them off at Rose Bay wharf and 7.30pm.

It was great to meet a good bunch of bloke who were all very keen fisho's. Hope you have a great time in NZ and get some monster kings - hope to see you again on Reef Magic.

Cheers Mike

Great report Mike,

I always love reading your fishing reports.

Cheers, Stan

Cheers Mike and Damo, was a great day shame we didn't get to see the beast..I managed to catch the very end of the fight on camera before the bust off, the fish had about 750 meters of line out at this stage...

enjoy..

Edited by pcoops