jew fish on plastics

ibby01

Hi everybody,

I've just scored and new boat for my self its a quintrex 385 with all the gear including an electric on the front,front and rear casting decks,kill tank and live bait tank.

my main target are jew fish on sp's this winter, can any body help with some addvice as to what to look for and what paticular tide time i should be fishing? :unsure::unsure:

Edited by spin01

Hi everybody,

I've just scored and new boat for my self its a quintrex 385 with all the gear including an electric on the front,front and rear casting decks,kill tank and live bait tank.

my main target are jew fish on sp's this winter, can any body help with some addvice as to what to look for and what paticular tide time i should be fishing? :unsure::unsure:

more advice anyone?

first tip, get out there.

Time on the water is essential to build up a picture of where they will be. I have only caught 3 on plastics and they have all been in spots I have caught jews on bait previously. While it sounds obvious, you need to be casting where fish are likely to be. Baits and livies can sit around waiting, a lure needs to be in the right spot at the right time. I would also be on the lookout for high concentrations of baitfish. Be on the lookout for frightened baitfish as well. This often happens around this time of year in the upper reaches of the harbour and indicates predators below.

You want a nice slow retrieve. Cast out, allow to sink and as soon as the lure hits the bottom, whip it up with a couple of bounces then wind in the slack line waiting for the lure to drop to the bottom. Be at the ready at all times and I am told you should strike at everything, even what might feel like a bite from a picker such as chopper tailor. There was a great video of a fish caught by Musty which will show you the technique.

The rest I'd say is common jewie tactics. Fish a tide change, prferably in the evening or early morning.

Good luck, its a great way to fish. You tend to be much more alert to your surroundings than when you sit around with baits in the water. This helps build up a picture of what is happening on and more importantly, under the water.

first tip, get out there.

Time on the water is essential to build up a picture of where they will be. I have only caught 3 on plastics and they have all been in spots I have caught jews on bait previously. While it sounds obvious, you need to be casting where fish are likely to be. Baits and livies can sit around waiting, a lure needs to be in the right spot at the right time. I would also be on the lookout for high concentrations of baitfish. Be on the lookout for frightened baitfish as well. This often happens around this time of year in the upper reaches of the harbour and indicates predators below.

You want a nice slow retrieve. Cast out, allow to sink and as soon as the lure hits the bottom, whip it up with a couple of bounces then wind in the slack line waiting for the lure to drop to the bottom. Be at the ready at all times and I am told you should strike at everything, even what might feel like a bite from a picker such as chopper tailor. There was a great video of a fish caught by Musty which will show you the technique.

The rest I'd say is common jewie tactics. Fish a tide change, prferably in the evening or early morning.

Good luck, its a great way to fish. You tend to be much more alert to your surroundings than when you sit around with baits in the water. This helps build up a picture of what is happening on and more importantly, under the water.

thanks heaps ay, what about the tide factor? and is musty a you tube clip?

I am jewfish-less as of yet, but some advice I have got is focus on bends in the river that hold bait, there will will also be eddies around these points and if there is a drop off around the point even better.

Thanks bud I'm keen on trying georges river soon but I don't know that river system to well, I mainly fish parra river But something about the georges seams apealing

Edited by spin01