How to adjust my boat trailer

ishhifay

Hi raiders,

I keep frikken scrathing the bottom of my Quintrex when i load my boat on the trailer :ranting2:

I have a Quintrex 500 coat master with the millenum hull and the trailer is a redco sportsman.

Its pretty hard to load the damn thing let alone drive the boat on.

Is there anyone that can guide or help me adjust/apply or even recommend someone who can look at it and advise to better my situation.

Will be appreciated

Ishhifay

what kind of Trailer is it Ishhifay? all rollers,skids, or both?

I have never had a trailer with skids so I cant advise you on them but if you have rollers the best advise was given to me when I purchased my last boat 15year ago and I still swear by it. Make your rollers work for you, your last roller should only just be submerged so that the front of the boat uses it. if you are winching on that woller will straiten the boat for you as it comes up.

The trailer I have now is a drive on set up though I still use the same thiery I rest the front of the boat against that roller then using gentle power steer the ass of the boat so that its in a strait line (more so when in current or wind) then straiten steering as you motor up the trailer.

Hope this is of some help to you or even other raiders.

Brett

Evening Brett,

Thanks for giving me some your time answering my question.

I have a Redco sportsman. It has two long skids in the centre (sides) and then two smaller ones at the front (sides).

It also has two single wobblys at the back.

The back roller is the self centering one.

I dont know how but the bottom of my V left hand side keeps scraping some metal on the trailer some where and i cant see where for the life of me.

So you think replacing the skids with rollers....

I was thinking mabe that ezi guide will do the trick but i wonder if you can still drive on a boat with them installed???

Sam

From what I have noticed on other trailer, and more so when you would like to drive the boat on and off..The more rollers the better.. I have always had trouble with mine when I am on my own,, So I moved my rollers and added a few more to not only hold the boat in correct possstion .. But, also to guide it to the right spot.. It seems to have worked..

Make your rollers work for you, your last roller should only just be submerged so that the front of the boat uses it. if you are winching on that woller will straiten the boat for you as it comes up.

The trailer I have now is a drive on set up though I still use the same thiery I rest the front of the boat against that roller then using gentle power steer the ass of the boat so that its in a strait line (more so when in current or wind) then straiten steering as you motor up the trailer.

Hope this is of some help to you or even other raiders.

Brett

Sam I use the same procedure as Brett both with the depth & lining the boat to the trailer.

The depth of the trailer in the water is very important. Too much & the boat will float all over the place , too little makes it difficult to retreive & places a lot of pressure on the trailer & winch.

A photo of the trailer , especially the rear area without the boat would be of assistance.

Geoff

G'Day Sam,

I have exactly the same type of trailer for my Polycraft. I have the 2 rear wobble rollers in the water enough to see the top of them and a little of the centre skids. I don't have any problems doing it this way.

Cheers

Deek

...I dont know how but the bottom of my V left hand side keeps scraping some metal on the trailer some where and i cant see where for the life of me.

Hi Sam,

If you can't see where it's scraping, is that because you are driving it on? If you try winching it on, do you think you will be able to where it's scraping? Then you should be able to make adjustments. It's easiest done with the boat off the trailer but I did manage to make some height adjustments with my boat (4m Stacer) on the trailer by using a trolley jack under the posts to get them to the height I wanted. It is easier with a 2nd person.

I was advised that skids are best for aluminium hulls, due to the better support along it's length and rollers best for fibreglass. Having said that I have a few mates with glass ski boats and carpet covered skids, some drive on. However, I'm not particulalry familiar with drive on trailers.

Good luck,

Baz

Hi all raider mate's :biggrin2:

Morning Baz (Berleyguts): yep your 100% when driving on i scaped the deepest part of the "V". All is fine if I winch it on. Thanks for your advice and ill try to adjust the rear centering roller tonight and let you know how i go. ( When i checked the centring roller last night it rolls freely with the boat on??? shouldnt this be taking the full weight of the boat??)

Morning Deek: Thanks for your advice. I'll try again with the rollers showing a bit more higher in the water next time. Are your roller's quad or just double?

Morning Geoff: Check out the images below.post-5587-087488900 1309313103_thumb.jpg

post-5587-087488900 1309313103_thumb.jpgpost-5587-043106000 1309313125_thumb.jpgpost-5587-031373200 1309313141_thumb.jpg

post-5587-082025000 1309313158_thumb.jpgpost-5587-086901900 1309313173_thumb.jpgpost-5587-094296800 1309313236_thumb.jpg

I think at the end of the day my trailer is simply not a drive on.

Thank you all for the help, appreciated heaps :thumbup:

( When i checked the centring roller last night it rolls freely with the boat on??? shouldnt this be taking the full weight of the boat??)

The centre rollers are really a guide more than a support. Contact would normally only be with the rear centre roller as it comes onto the trailer. As it moves along the trailer, the side rollers/skids should kick in and the boat should mostly sit up above the centre rollers and the bulk of the support comes from the side skids/rollers.

I can't really speak for drive-on trailers but I have seen too many people damage motors on ramps etc. I'd rather take it easy, get out and winch. I don't even like putting my trailer wheels in the water f I can help it (this depends on the ramp)... but then... I only have a small boat! :)

Good luck!

Baz

Morning Geoff: Check out the images below

I think at the end of the day my trailer is simply not a drive on.

I would tend to agree. Drive on trailers normally have guides to line the bow up with the center of the trailer then hold it in position as the boat moves up the trailer.

These come in various forms. Some have skids , some have rollers.

Here is one for example

post-731-047408300 1309489956_thumb.jpg

The "V" shape retreiver mate may assist. I think they are mainly designed for winch on but the video dose show a drive on.

Check out the video

Geoff