Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

I joined forces with Flycaster yesterday to have a crack at Thompson Creek Dam. Based on past experience, the rainbows should be making their appearance around the edges in pairs. The weather conditions were perfect, not a cloud in sight and calm waters. According to Delta Electricity, the dam level was at 64% which is the highest I’ve ever seen it.

As usual, I got to the dam just before 7am and Flycaster arrived shortly after.

I opened up the account with this small rainbow after about an hour.

post-13314-023642100 1309166375_thumb.jpg

The morning turned out to be slow, so we decided to try a few spots. Just before lunch we spotted a few rainbows in their spawning colours trying to do their thing. Fish that are paired up have other things in mind besides feeding, and getting them to take a fly is next to impossible. The trick is to find a fish swimming on its own as there is a high possibility it will take your fly. I picked up another small rainbow in the bunch of spawners, and after about an hour they seem to have disappeared.

Things looked rather grim after lunch with the wind picking up making things very uncomfortable. We moved to sheltered waters to get away from the wind. Flycaster opened up his account with a small Rainbow, and shortly after I landed this nice fish which measured 50cm. This fish really put on a show, taking to the air and making 3 strong runs before being landed.

post-13314-086054100 1309166497_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later Flycaster landed this good fish (47cm).

post-13314-000430300 1309166534_thumb.jpg

It was one fish after another, and my next fish had me in every weed bed and snag it could find. At first, I thought it was a lot smaller, but when Flycaster slipped the net under the fish, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a solid buck rainbow measuring 50cm and weighing approximately 3 pounds.

post-13314-063432900 1309166574_thumb.jpg

We probably would have caught more fish, but it was getting late and we had commitments to be home before dinner.

Between us we caught a total of 8 fish for the day. 4 to Flycaster and 4 to me.

Regards Caddis

I was there on Sunday. Had a shocker. No bites, struggling to cast into the wind, gave up early and had a big McFeed in McLithgow.

Hi Irongustavius,

Where on the dam did you fish? do you fly fish? Flycaster and I had a really good day. It did start off slow, but the fish started to come on after lunch.

Regards Caddis

I am so jealous, i want to try fly fishing so badly and catch my first freshwater fish. Do you think you guys could take me some time? i am willing to drive.

I am a complete newby and have never tried but it looks awesome!

I am so jealous, i want to try fly fishing so badly and catch my first freshwater fish. Do you think you guys could take me some time? i am willing to drive.

I am a complete newby and have never tried but it looks awesome!

Hi PRED-ATOR,

Sure... PM me your details and I'll let you know when I'll be heading out again. Do you have any fly gear?

Regards Caddis

Hi PRED-ATOR,

Sure... PM me your details and I'll let you know when I'll be heading out again. Do you have any fly gear?

Regards Caddis

I do not own any fly hear at all, but i seen an el cheapo pflueger fly outfit in ****** for 80 bux. im thinking of grabbing that one. Could you recomment any fly rods reels which are good for beginners?

Thanks Caddis your a champ

Hi Caddis,

I was fly fishing, my brother was spinning. We fished the left hand side of the dam, saw a few trout rising but I couldn't get a cast out quickly enough with the wind. We left by 11, sounds like we missed out on the after lunch fun.

I'd be keen to hook up sometime in the future when you go there again, I'm not a very experienced fly fisherman so I'm always trying to learn.

Hi Caddis,

I was fly fishing, my brother was spinning. We fished the left hand side of the dam, saw a few trout rising but I couldn't get a cast out quickly enough with the wind. We left by 11, sounds like we missed out on the after lunch fun.

I'd be keen to hook up sometime in the future when you go there again, I'm not a very experienced fly fisherman so I'm always trying to learn.

Hi Irongustavius,

No worries, PM me your details and I'll let you know when I'm out there again.

Regards Caddis

sorry caddis - You must know by now I am almost "prejudice" towards the fly and lure segment on the site.

I'm not an aficiniando of normal fishing per se - but can appreciate it.

I've done my time on the wharfs, beaches etc, and fly- especially fast, tight streams is my juice for now

Keep bringing those reports and I hope that all us Wandmen - you, me, Irongustavus, troutboy,Luderickangler, Centerpin, et al can make a Raider fly day happen next year.

Great report, and photos - keep it up , soon we will convince the rest that fly fishing is not just a elite sport but everyone can do and afford.

Love your work!.

M

sorry caddis - You must know by now I am almost "prejudice" towards the fly and lure segment on the site.

I'm not an aficiniando of normal fishing per se - but can appreciate it.

I've done my time on the wharfs, beaches etc, and fly- especially fast, tight streams is my juice for now

Keep bringing those reports and I hope that all us Wandmen - you, me, Irongustavus, troutboy,Luderickangler, Centerpin, et al can make a Raider fly day happen next year.

Great report, and photos - keep it up , soon we will convince the rest that fly fishing is not just a elite sport but everyone can do and afford.

Love your work!.

M

Count me in for a fly trip :thumbup:

Well peoples - lets talk/email and figure out a date etc for a flyday for all raiders, including teaching new members and members that want to get into fly fishing but don't either know how or don't have the gear etc- I have 3 outfits- lets figure something out along with Stewie and Raider!

Edited by Nanook

He yMatt I am all keen cannot wait till rivers re open down south we will have to hit the Tumut while shes got a bit of flow and fish it Tongariro style! Hey you still doing thr mountains thing? If so text me and we will chat and I';ll tie you some bead head glister nyphms!

Hi Raiders,

Thanks for all your comments.

Matt, I know you have a trip planned to Kanangra, so I'll work in with your calendar.

Pred-ator, I have never used a pflueger fly rod before, so I can't really say. Redington are owned by Sage and they are a great entry level rod. I have one myself in a 4wt.

Please PM me if you would like to join me next time I go to Thompon Creek Dam

Regards Caddis

Edited by Caddis

Hi Raiders,

Thanks for all your comments. It's great to see some interest in a Raider day out.

Matt, I know you have a trip planned to Kanangra, so I'll work in with your calendar.

Pred-ator, I have never used a pflueger fly rod before, so I can't really say. Redington are owned by Sage and they are a great entry level rod. I have one myself in a 4wt.

Well, let's try to organise a Raider day out at Thompson Creek Dam.

Please PM me with the following details:

Your preferred date: Saturday 23rd July or 30th July

Your experience level: Beginner, intermediate or experienced (need to know who is will to teach some beginners)

I'm prepared to bring lunch.

Regards Caddis

Sounds awesome mate im keen as. Im just checking with the boss what date works best.

Thanks again