Extending Casting Platform

bmar560

Hello,

I'm planning to extend the casting platform on my boat to facilitate this breaming thing. How do I go about cutting out the plywood to the shape of the boat ? My fishing buddy and I are planning to do the "surgery" on our own.

Also, where can I get a marine grade plywood ? I'll need it to extend my casting platform. I'll also need new carpets as well.

cheers,

Mario

Guest Jewel

Fishrunner has done some extensive work of that type to his boat, I fortunately am able to reap the benifits without having been part of the building process. :1naughty:

I believe beer and a jigsaw were the main tools used!

Guest fishrunner

yeah, swoffa's pretty much right,I did a front and rear platform(wouldn't say I was an expert hough, specially considering the 1st cutout wasn't to my satisfaction and had to be done again, :074: . Materials such as marine ply, carpet, sealants(if marine ply not used), can be sourced at various hardware and outdoor places.

cut out template-strong cardboard will do the job(fridge box, etc),

cut out ply with jigsaw,

seal all cut edges,

cut out carpet-allow 7-10cm overlap,

bond to surface of ply,

roll over edges to underside of ply and attach there(sml nails or staples, I've also seen velcro used-good if you wish to remove carpet to wash,-hassles though).

drop into boat,well supported of course,

I put cross beams for underside for strength plus supports for weight :beersmile: ,

5 to 7ply req'd, I used 5ply and have found the strength good,(not many of my mates are lightweights :074::beersmile: ).

I'm happy with the outcome,would prob do a few things different next time, you can always improve it.

hope this helps

cheers :beersmile:

I did mine - made a template from some sort of light foam board my builder son turned up, then with the aid of a jigsaw and :beersmile: , carved out the shape. Didn;t use marine ply but gave the ply about 4 coats of varnish after I cut it. Marine/Caravan carpet voer the deck and the dog loves it!

another option is to work out your exact measurements for each piece needed and go to Mr Plywood and have it all precut. I did this for my live well installation and it made a crappy job a fair bit easier. Cost about $50 for the precut marine ply to create a 100ltr live well.

Hey Mario,

First up mate, do not worry about 'marine' ply. It is not needed at all in your or many other cases. You can pay up to 50% more for 'marine' grade ply. Just make sure the ply you do get is 'A bond', that is a waterproof glue is used to bind the timber veneers.

www.misterplywood.com.au has lots of info on what/why and how ply is classed.

You would be fine with external BC A-bond hardwood for you deck....seriously do not pay the $185 for a sheet of 12mm 'seaply'.

You can make a template out of any heavy card that can be cut with ease. Remember you do not have to cut this template out of one big bit of card. Best getting lots of small bits and just sticking them down together where they overlap. Not a good explanation I know... be alot easier to show you. You could even get away with a heap of A4 paper if your frame is already in place.

If you ever plan to be on the harbour midweek, come round to the STC wharf in Walsh Bay and I can give you the heads up on what you need to do. Heaps of breambos under the wharf too.

alex

an advice from someone who built his own boat :biggrin2: is truly priceless.

thanks for that Alex, I think I understand what you meant when cutting out the template.

So you reckon I should get the frame ready first ?

I called up mr.plywood this arvo and they quote me 185 bucks for marine ply. :1yikes:

Don't think I'll be fishing the main harbour this week. I will go for another session on parra this weekend though.

cheers,

Mario

PS. I found this on mr.plywood website Alex

BC A bond plywood

will that do for me ?

200567194720_fitout.JPG

I'm thinking of extending the casting platform from the end of the existing front casting platform up to the top end of the live well.

200567194748_rear.JPG

I'm also planning to cover the rear so that I can cast with ease from the rear.So starting from the front edge of the seats up till the stern of the boat.

Edited by bmar560

Guest Jocool

Mario...Think seriously before extending your platform that far back! I have a fairly long platform at the front of my boat. I don't know if you have seen my boat, but like you I fish the harbour a lot. I'm actually thinking of making mine SHORTER! :wacko:

Having a shorter front platform gives you more options in choppy water. :thumbup: Standing right up the front on a platform is crap in any kind of chop. :thumbdown:

Maybe make a couple of feet longer only.

Mario...Think seriously before extending your platform that far back! I have a fairly long platform at the front of my boat. I don't know if you have seen my boat, but like you I fish the harbour a lot. I'm actually thinking of making mine SHORTER! :wacko:

Having a shorter front platform gives you more options in choppy water.  :thumbup: Standing right up the front on a platform is crap in any kind of chop. :thumbdown:

Maybe make a couple of feet longer only.

51364[/snapback]

I agree with you Joe, that's why I'm not making the extension permanent. I'll still be able to take it out if I want to. During summer when I'm chasing kings in the harbour like you do, I will certainly take it out. The extension to the casting platform is to facilitate winter fishing, on the river for breams and stuff. :biggrin2: I'm sick of standing on top of the live well.

thanks anyway mate

cheers,

Mario

Guest Jocool
I agree with you Joe, that's why I'm not making the extension permanent.

51369[/snapback]

I must of missed that part initially! :thumbup: Sorry mate. :biggrin2:

Yeah Mario, that is the ply I was thinking of. The 15mm would be fine if you frame it up right

If you are wanting something that can easly be removed when you hit the harbour then I suggest you build up a simple frame with your ply fixed on top of it. This all would just drop in and sit on your existing foor and be held down with a couple of bolts or such.

You could bring the ply right up to the existing front deck and back to the livewell and even around the sides of it. I would not take the deck right up against the hull sides, better stopping maybe 50-100mm short. You don't really need it there and it would make it a lot easier to just lift the whole thing out. Easier to cut a template too. The back deck is dead easy. Maybe somethig like a fixed section across the seat and a hinged section that still allows access to your fuel and such. You would need to put a legth of ali angle across the inside of the transom to support this hinged bit.

alex

• 1 month later...

I finally got the time to kick off this project. :biggrin2::biggrin2: I was doing the template for the front deck a few minutes ago and a few questions popped into my head. Cutting out the template to fit the hull shape is quite an effort.... but I'm happy when it was finally fits properly.

How big a gap should I leave between the edge of the platform and the edge of the hull to allow for the carpet to fit in nicely ? Alex, if you're there is a simple frame along the edges of the new platform will be enough to support it or should I also put some kind of support that runs in the middle of the platform ?

Also I'm not gonna do the decks with plywood, someone at another forum suggested this material called Multipanel. It's basically a high density foam, much much lighter than plywoods. Also no coating needed, and it won't rot.

cheers,

Mario

Edited by bmar560

Guest Jocool

Also I'm not gonna do the decks with plywood, someone at another forum suggested this material called Multipanel. It's basically a high density foam, much much lighter than plywoods. Also no coating needed, and it won't rot.

cheers,

Mario

57916[/snapback]

Its also pretty EXY Mario. Adds about 50% to the price of a sheet compared to MARINE PLY!

Guest fishrunner

Hi bmar560,

This is how my rear platform turned out (completed last winter), didn't use marine ply as to expensive, ended up using ply with the waterproof glue(don't remeber the name).

Sanded back and 4 coats of waterproofing varnish of some sort, then carpeted. I didn't worry too much bout gap for carpet at edge as it would only make a snugger and no rattle/movement fit.heres a pic of surface

Guest fishrunner

Don't forget fuel access and clips on front for holding down,don't want it too catch wind at 100k's on the freeway :1prop: as it would flip up.

post-647-1121339373_thumb.jpg

post-647-1121339411_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishrunner

Guest fishrunner

For support ply was again used on its side with cross beams, this has proven to be very strong and no flex, can do 2 people if req'd. There is also enough room between suports for stowage of oars and gaff, access is easy-undo hold downs and lift front, floor can also be removed in 30 secs.

Original livewell was under floor with access via cover hatch, this area was increased for bigger well (70-80 ltr approx), which now protrudes above floor.

post-647-1121340269_thumb.jpg

hope this helps

orig live acess can be seen at cnr in this pic.

post-647-1121340403_thumb.jpg

cheers brad