sealing ply

troystone

what about bond crete have rerad others have used it ?anyone had experience with it

As far as i know bond crete has no marine application - its normally used to seal concrete and such surfaces prior to applying things such as tiles. you could use a waterproofing membrane also but these are pretty messy and take ages to dry. The cheapest option would probably be fiberglass resin.

As far as i know bond crete has no marine application - its normally used to seal concrete and such surfaces prior to applying things such as tiles. you could use a waterproofing membrane also but these are pretty messy and take ages to dry. The cheapest option would probably be fiberglass resin.

Bond crete is basically PVA glue watered down.

The deck in the old tinney I had was sealed with bond crete and then a couple of coats of paint. Seemed to work fine though I only had the timber in for about three years before the boat moved on. Not sure of it was the bond crete or the enamel paint that worked.

Dave

Longest lasting option is 2 coats of marine epoxy-WEST System.Epicraft,Botecote.etc. brushed on all surfaces,especially saturating the endgrain.Polyester is a bit cheaper but doesn't adhere nearly as well as epoxy-experienced timber boatbuilders use epoxy for this sort of application.Epoxy isn't UV stable but your carpet will protect it.

Cheers,

Dave.

I have now done 5 floors in 5 different boats and have used Everdure 2 pack epoxy sealer on every occasion. Current floor is now 6 yrs old and is like it was when originally fitted. Sealed both sides and all edges with Everdure and carpeted with marine carpet adhered with normal contact adhesive. All as new to this day.

Available at Whitworths.

Look no further, Stony.

Cheers,

Tuffy.

Edited by Tuffy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi has anyone thought of using liquid rubber paint

Just googled it and looks impressive it wood be good

for your DIY under floor bait tanks or water proofing

your boat floors before putting carpet on

A lot of people use it on their DIY plywood fish tanks

and is much cheaper and user friendly than fibreglass