Cold night on the Hacking

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

Out and about last night, solo session, headed out a bit late, wanting to fish a couple of hours of the run in tide, hoping to be there by 6pm ended up being 8pm but as they say better late than never.

Arrived at my first spot, set anchor and deployed the burley and set my rods in their holders. I didn't even have a chance to sit down and one rod buckles :1yikes: "Oh what a night I'm going to have" was going through my head. Shortly after a lovely size bream was sitting in my esky on ice. Quickly baited and re-cast in the same spot and same again....gee these fish are hungry tonight. I quickly re-baited again and cast to the same position but this time there were no instant bites so I decided to sit down and drink my warm coffee and do the waiting game. Meanwhile my brother-in-law calls me and says "are you catching?" so I gave him the story, he couldn't believe I was out there in that cold weather. I've been trying to get him out there with me but he always seems to manage to get out of it somehow......don't blame him though it is a bit cold out there.

Decided to push on and fish until just after 10pm noticing that the fish had shut down completely from full tide and upon asking another bloke at the boat ramp who came in just behind me, he scored a few nice bream on the run in tide and then he found it shut down too on the high tide to out tide. Although I did manage one more fish before heading for home, it looked like a red rock cod, very dark brown in colour with a big mouth....boy was I glad to cut that one off. Has anyone ever caught any fish that describes this? If so, can you let me know what it may have been. It looked very poisonous to me (sorry no photo of this particular fish, I don't carry the camera with me in the water).

Chris

post-13990-071601600 1309650226_thumb.jpg

Hey Chris,

Apology for not replying to your post sooner.

I was in "slightly-warmer" Queensland for a week watching the blues getting done by the Maroons.

Actually I'm not into footy - or any sports for that matter - Just the fishing.

I tried to reply to your post from there on my laptop but I pressed the wrong button and lost the entire post.

I was sure the QLD internet people detected I was from NSW and shut me down !

It had to be someone else's fault - it couldn't have been my sheer ineptitude and clumsiness now could it ?

Anyway, well done on a couple of really nice bream.

Maggie would have been really happy with your effort this time.

Did you get them at the first spot you showed me on the anchor or the second one ?

I haven't been out since we fished the Hacking together and I can't say I'll be getting out this weekend either.

Darned westerlies are just too much, coupled with the fact the moon is causing slow currents at the moment, will mean poor and uncomfortable fishing inshore.

Maybe it's time I did some maintenance on the boat and reels.....

Then again, perhaps I can watch IFISH, Fishing Western Australia with Nicko, Extreme Fishing with Robson Greene, Swords - Life on the line, Deadliest catch and anything else with a fish in it !

Tony

Chris, Shark Island is a Good Bream spot but afternoon tide going up and a bit of swell is a must

I know Shark Island and have always stayed pretty clear of there. Looks very fishy but also looks like it could be a dangerous spot to fish. Do you fish there alot? What else have you been catching there?

Chris

Greet effort quick fish, brave the cold and get a feed.

Where do you put you boat in not easy when you are solo?

Hi Bucaneer

I always use Grays Point Boat Ramp as I find it the easiest ramp to get the boat in and out with ample parking. The winter sure is cold especially when the fish aren't co-operating but have been doing alright of late.

Chris

I know Shark Island and have always stayed pretty clear of there. Looks very fishy but also looks like it could be a dangerous spot to fish. Do you fish there alot? What else have you been catching there?

Chris

I sat there one evening anchored up and let rope out till I was 50 meters away or there abouts, Got Stonker Bream and Drummer, Squid.

Other times trawling through there I have caught Kingfish, Bonito Salmon.

I sat there one evening anchored up and let rope out till I was 50 meters away or there abouts, Got Stonker Bream and Drummer, Squid.

Other times trawling through there I have caught Kingfish, Bonito Salmon.

Sounds GREAT will check out the island again , hopefully see you out there :thumbup:

chris.

Hi Raiders

Out and about last night, solo session, headed out a bit late, wanting to fish a couple of hours of the run in tide, hoping to be there by 6pm ended up being 8pm but as they say better late than never.

Arrived at my first spot, set anchor and deployed the burley and set my rods in their holders. I didn't even have a chance to sit down and one rod buckles :1yikes: "Oh what a night I'm going to have" was going through my head. Shortly after a lovely size bream was sitting in my esky on ice. Quickly baited and re-cast in the same spot and same again....gee these fish are hungry tonight. I quickly re-baited again and cast to the same position but this time there were no instant bites so I decided to sit down and drink my warm coffee and do the waiting game. Meanwhile my brother-in-law calls me and says "are you catching?" so I gave him the story, he couldn't believe I was out there in that cold weather. I've been trying to get him out there with me but he always seems to manage to get out of it somehow......don't blame him though it is a bit cold out there.

Decided to push on and fish until just after 10pm noticing that the fish had shut down completely from full tide and upon asking another bloke at the boat ramp who came in just behind me, he scored a few nice bream on the run in tide and then he found it shut down too on the high tide to out tide. Although I did manage one more fish before heading for home, it looked like a red rock cod, very dark brown in colour with a big mouth....boy was I glad to cut that one off. Has anyone ever caught any fish that describes this? If so, can you let me know what it may have been. It looked very poisonous to me (sorry no photo of this particular fish, I don't carry the camera with me in the water).

Chris

chris that last fish could have been an estuary cod, ive caught them their mainly after dark, about 1-2kg.

Did a search through the aquarium section , luckily a fish has been posted which is exactly what i had caught which is called a frog fish.

Well after seeing one in real life i think they need to re name that species looks nothing like a frog????

As groper said in the post (Aquarium section) , fish only a mother could love :074:

chris.