Port hacking Wide

mick_hill82

Went wide for yellowfin yesterday left dock at 2:00pm cubed for zeros until dusk. Then as soon as it got dark we had 35kg to 45kg fish at the back of the boat. We ended up with a 5-5-3 three on board 40-45kg, dropped the other two due to novice anglers allowing line to hit the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work boys...I'm thinking about taking up offshore game fishing as well and was just wondering how far wide do you need to go to get some juicy YFT !! I've got a Stacer Runabout 4.65m with a 70hp enginer and about a 70ltr fuel tank. Would I need to upgrade to handle the conditions wide? naturally I wouldnt be going out in big swell + wind. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Elite I wouldn't be taking that boat past the 12 Mile. It's all well and good to say you can do anything in any boat in the right conditions but without experience you might miss the tell tale signs that things are about to turn for the worse and find yourself a loooooooong way from home, not a place you want to be.

I've fished over the shelf at Bermi in a 3.8m Savage Snipe when I was a kid. I wouldn't do it now I have a better appreciation of what can go wrong.

Nice work boys...I'm thinking about taking up offshore game fishing as well and was just wondering how far wide do you need to go to get some juicy YFT !! I've got a Stacer Runabout 4.65m with a 70hp enginer and about a 70ltr fuel tank. Would I need to upgrade to handle the conditions wide? naturally I wouldnt be going out in big swell + wind. Any advice would be much appreciated.

How wide - 20 miles plus now days. Yes, you would need to upgrade your boat.

Personally I wouldn't head past the FADs in a pressed tin boat. You also need experience as the skipper and experienced crew on board. The boat also needs enough shelter for the crew when it is rough.

As a 7m plate boat we are one of the smallest out wide and are very careful about what we head out in.

Bruce.