phi phi island thailand

joshagius

hi everyone ! im heading over to thailand in august and i am spending 3 nights on phi phi island. i am just wondering if anyone has done any fishing over there and can they recomend any charter companys or have any information they would like to share thanks !

hi everyone ! im heading over to thailand in august and i am spending 3 nights on phi phi island. i am just wondering if anyone has done any fishing over there and can they recomend any charter companys or have any information they would like to share thanks !

Get out on the menkong river and do some fishing for the menkong river giant carp and stingray river monsters style!

Hi mate,

I am there in august at Phuket. Let's share info as I am keen to get out for a fish as well.

Haven't been to Thailand since a young fella in 1983.

Mike

If you remember how it was in 83, then you will be in for a big suprise when you get there

HI All,

Thailand is fished out i wouldnt recommend going on a charter there. I just got back from there recently i never went on a charter but i asked around and people told me it was fished out. There is however a cat fish farm where you can fish for Araipama and catfish they have some huge fish there! I forgot whats its called but if you google something should come up.

If you are heading anywhere near Bangkok, there is a fishing park called bungsamran just out of bangkok. From memory it was about half hour cab ride out of the city. There is accommodation there too and you can fish straight into the dam off your own privat balcony.

Although I didn't stay there, the accommodation looked reasonable. I think it was about $100 Australian when I fished there and that got you your tackle, bait and a guide for half a day I think. Was good fun reeling in 20-30kg giant Mekong catfish that's for sure!

Matt

Lovely place Thailand

http://www.wahoo.ws/ here is a charter company that we have used. Fishing is best at Racha Noi and Racha Yai and those islands are about 18kms from Phuket (Chalong Bay)

CLICK HERE FOR A TRIP WE DID it was fairly costly but a wonderful way to see the place and have a fish

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=30347&st=0&p=235454&hl=+phuket%20+wahoo&fromsearch=1entry235454

Do a search and there are several posts on Thailand

HI All,

Thailand is fished out i wouldnt recommend going on a charter there. I just got back from there recently i never went on a charter but i asked around and people told me it was fished out. There is however a cat fish farm where you can fish for Araipama and catfish they have some huge fish there! I forgot whats its called but if you google something should come up.

Ill second that been to both Phuket and phi phi island and they are lovely places but fished out.

I even took a boat around the area and was disapointed about how many nets there are...alot of lovely small fish if you diving but in the way of big fish, go to fiji.

I fished (with the GF at the time) from Phi Phi in '98 off a local longtail boat (basically a canoe with a small portable motor & long shaft to prop). We hired a guide/charter from the main part of phi phi 'town'.

Off to the livebait grounds with a sabiki. We got a few in the bucket and cruised to the main fishing area.

I recall that we used overhead reels and drifted two livebaits under floats out back. The first one goes off and we haul a barracuda aboard. Nothing much happens for a while, but then we start seeing a couple of sailfish leaping out of the water. To add to the anxiety, a huge grey afternoon storm front is fast approaching.

We get a hit, the guide grabs the rod to set the hooks and passes the rod to me. The GF also liked to fish and given I'd hogged the first fish, I passed the rod to her. Sure enough, we were onto one of the sailfish! It was a great fight and made all the more difficult by being in a 'canoe' and getting absolutely drenched by the storm! It was so dark, we couldn't see the fish jumping in the distance. But like most tropical storms, it left as quickly as it came and the final part of the fight was in clearish weather.

We got the fish to the side of the longtail and it was the first time I'd ever seen a live beakie. I still remember how beautiful it was with its electric blues and vibrant purples. All 35kgs of it were amazing, I'd fished all my life and never seen anything like it.

But we were in Thailand. Phi Phi doesn't have a Coles or Woolies, people don't enjoy the wealth and comforts of us in Aus. So the fish was gaffed, clubbed and dragged into the boat. I can still remember seeing it lying there dead between the GF and me along the length of the boat. It still had the new fish glow and was even more amazing now that we could see the whole thing. In a moment were we should of had complete joy, we were feeling a little sad! But we also knew that the captain had to feed his family and that along with our charter fees, the sale of this fish in the local market would make it a good day for him.

All that said, the fishing experience was so great that I'd probably do it again! However, next time I'd ask about catch and release for beakies and perhaps come to some deal with the captain that would allow us to let her go.

So back in '98 the fishing was great! I'm not sure what it's like now, but the experience of heading out with a local in their grounds in a traditional boat was fantastic.

I hope that helps!

SG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Josh, I will be in Phi Phi from August 10-20, maybe we can hook up (no pun intended), and charter a boat together.

I would really like to do some fly fishing, but am discouraged by the reports I`m reading.

If you would like to connect, you can contact me at dean.borg@bciasia.com

Cheers,

Dean

We were in Thailand last december, I remember on the boat to Phi Phi we saw sail fish carving up groups of bait on the surface, even chasing the some of the flying fish we saw. Then on the boat back there was a massive school of sizeable tuna going mental in a big ball of bait. We're going back this January so any feedback from you guys heading over there in the next couple of months would be great.

Cheers

Josh

Hi mate, check out the 'mega fishing thailand' website, there's heaps of options.

Or get in contact with Jean Francious, the guy is a legend in thailand, he has so many fishing world records its ridiculous.

Fishing one day at Bungsamran and predator lake is possible when staying in bangkok, i have been to both and cant reccomend them highly enough. You will come home with the sorest arms and catch fish you've never dreamed of.

If you are a keen lure fisherman, try and get out and do some snakehead fishing with jean francious,its all surface fishing with poppers and buzzbaits in any one of the resoviours scattered around thailnd (just like our dams).

Hope this helps

Robbo