Nambucca River 14/07/2011

landbased

Hi all long time no post :)

last year I left the hussle and bussle of busy Sydney and moved up to Gods country ( Mid North Coast NSW). I have done a bit of fishing here and there but mainly I have just taken time out from everything and concentrated on my family.

A member of said family (my Fiance) was down by the V-wall earlier during the week and she told me there were lots of people catching black fish, and that maybe I should give it a go. She was amazed by the sheer number of them that the old timers were bringing in.

I am a self confessed novice as far as any form of float fishing goes decided to give it a go. So off to the fishing dept of the local+_+_) ( coffs harbour) and I pick up a couple of floats some number 10 hooks and some split shots ( all of these are alien to me lol). I get home and open up the floats and see a weird contraption in there that I had never seen before, after a bit of searching on the net I find these are float stoppers lol.

Anyway finally get a rig set up and off to the v-wall I go with 2 of the kids and the fiance in tow. get down there and realise that I dont have any bait lol.

Manage to get some nice weed from a helpful oldtimer thank god put the weed in cast off and with in 20 seconds I have my first ever down Yay, I manage to bring in a little 20cm black fish a new pb for me as I have never caught one before. then my partner asked for a go and firdt cast she was on. awesome for a non fisher she pulled it in like a pro. Again another 20 odd cm specimen.

After a while in between rebaiting for the kids and missing a few downs I move over to a different part of the wall, cast in, look away for a sec and try to find my float :( where is it??? I pull in the slack and BAM!!!! starts pulling drag like a freight train. after a few mins I manage to start bringing up a HUGE blackie like 40cm or so the POP line snaps at the hoook :(:(:(. Bummer.

Stayed for a few more mins got heaps of downs and a couple of more small fella but no more monsters.

I have been converted and I think my Partner has also yay.

Cheers

Chris

One of the best spots on the river Chris a legendry place my fathe rcaught a lot of fish on his winter holidays he was on the railways do they got free travel he loved it there back then three guys would get 200 odd fish on the tide in the days before bag limits they used to sell them to the local co-op for beer money! I'm talking pounds shilling and pence! Another good spot is the wall up the back of the island on the golf course heading up river so the western tip fish the run in from memory!

Well now your converted watch out its addictive and you will be all consumed by the darlk lord of luderick angling and you shall be hence known as Darth Landbased! Well done mate and keep at them they can be great fun and equally as frustrating! Oh and your fiance needs a big congrats!

Hey Chris

Welcome to the mid north NSW coast!

Welcome to the dark side - Luderick FIshing! biggrin2.gif They put up an honest fight, fight well above their weight & taste lovely! Also, they are largely vegetarian, so you don't have to worry about smelly old bait!!

Nambucca is a Blackie Haven! Keith & I always stay at the Caravan Park there on our first night heading north from Forster - enjoy a meal at the Tavern & catch up with a couple of good buddies there - both of whom love blackie fishing!! Keep an eye on the old timers & try & see where their 'knot' is on their line, to give you an idea of the depth they are fishing! 1prop.gif

I've put my kayak in at the boat ramp just before the wall opening there & had a great time fishing - some terrific blackies hang around the submerged trees on the other side there.

A while ago now, I started a thread on blackfishing tips - check it out - lots of talented blackie fishing Fishraiders have added to it over the last few years .....

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=23679

ALWAYS fun when you get a whopper on!! Take care on the rocks & make sure you have a long handled net with you next time! Don't get too far down on the rocks, in case of a rogue wave.

Enjoy! They are fantastic to eat when smoked, too! biggrin2.gif

cheers

Roberta