NORTHERN BEACHES WHITING

slam354

Gooday Raiders

As my holidays are nearly over I decided to make the most of what time I had left so decided to go fishing yesterday afternoon.Armed with Bloodworms and my trusty beach oufit the challenge was to find a spot that was tucked out of that South swell which was pumping around 5-6 foot.So on prospecting decided to fish the Southern end of the beach were I had some protection and hopefully some fish.

I Started fishing around Midday and boy was it cold but hey where else would you want to be.I rigged up the rod with about 50grams of lead running sinker short trace and size 4 hook.First cast bait was in the water less than 1 minute rod got slammed up comes a 39cm whiting woohoo :biggrin2:.I was wrapped but then I said to myself hope this isnt the first fish hoodoo that has happened to me heaps of times.Second cast again another fish 37cm almost straight away you little ripper the curse is broken.From then on it was on and the fish continued to bite freely until about 5.00pm and then called it a day as I had run out of bait.Final score was 12 whiting ranging in size from 33cm to 39cm 3 bream from 27 to 32m and 1 Flathead around 42cm.On a final note i have fished this spot in normal seas and have not caught much so i would think that during a swell fish must come in for shelter and food.

Cheers Steve

post-13936-080686600 1310639492_thumb.jpg

great session- well done.

The whiting are very sweet and you have a good feed there. I am surprised they are still on the beaches as they usually go quiet in winter. Does any one know where they go?

The Poacher

Thats what I thought but from asking around the traps I am told that the fish are still there in lesser numbers but better quality.After all the water temp is hovering around 20 degrees so I guess its a bit of luck in locating a school of them.I have bombed out in Winter before but I think the heavy seas help the bite.

Edited by slam354

Gooday Raiders

As my holidays are nearly over I decided to make the most of what time I had left so decided to go fishing yesterday afternoon.Armed with Bloodworms and my trusty beach oufit the challenge was to find a spot that was tucked out of that South swell which was pumping around 5-6 foot.So on prospecting decided to fish the Southern end of the beach were I had some protection and hopefully some fish.

I Started fishing around Midday and boy was it cold but hey where else would you want to be.I rigged up the rod with about 50grams of lead running sinker short trace and size 4 hook.First cast bait was in the water less than 1 minute rod got slammed up comes a 39cm whiting woohoo :biggrin2:.I was wrapped but then I said to myself hope this isnt the first fish hoodoo that has happened to me heaps of times.Second cast again another fish 37cm almost straight away you little ripper the curse is broken.From then on it was on and the fish continued to bite freely until about 5.00pm and then called it a day as I had run out of bait.Final score was 12 whiting ranging in size from 33cm to 39cm 3 bream from 27 to 32m and 1 Flathead around 42cm.On a final note i have fished this spot in normal seas and have not caught much so i would think that during a swell fish must come in for shelter and food.

Cheers Steve

Nice fish Steve, you should have dropped some fillets back at my place ;).

S.

great session- well done.

The whiting are very sweet and you have a good feed there. I am surprised they are still on the beaches as they usually go quiet in winter. Does any one know where they go?

The Poacher

I always caught my best whiting during the winter months. Fishing around Saratoga, Davistown, down Paddy's Channel and around St Huberts Is on the bridge side. Live squirt worms or blood worms and your guaranteed a catch and you normally pick up a few bream amongst them. Most productive at night but I have done well during the day. Bloody cold though as you'd expect.

Many years back (40 or so)they used to school up under the old Woy Woy Ferry Wharves right up into the shallows in huge numbers and massive size. Big blue nosed whiting and they were the frustration of everyone who tried to catch them. They would not take a bait until the tide was right at night and you had to have live bait, either worms, nippers or prawns.

I had a mate at Ettalong and his mom used to walk down to the beach along The Esplanade and use a hand line during the winter days and she caught plenty with pink nippers her preferred bait.

They are about but good live bait is essential if you want them.