Hitting the Harbour for the First Time

paddy69

G'day Raiders,

I want to take my boat onto the Harbour tomorrow morning. I haven't done this before and need some advice. First things first, I live in Tempe and don't know where to launch (I am guessing this is important:yahoo: ) Once on the water I haven't go a clue. I suppose thsi time of year i will be chasing Silver Trevs, Salmon and down low for some John Dory? any Snapper in close? I wil need tips here too. As you can see Raiders a lort of help is needed. If you have five minurtes please feel free to give a bloke soem starting advice.

Cheers

pat

Mate if i lived in Tempe i would launch at Rose Bay, it's about a 30 minute drive and it's not to far from the heads once you launch your boat

Trevally are everywhere at the moment, if you burley up you should have no problems finding them..

You have places like Sow & Pigs reef, and out North Head (If you fish floaters you will pick up Trevally and Snapper)

I think the most important thing is burley this time of year

If you have any questions send a PM my way :)

Goodluck

Snapper and trevs inside at the moment. There are a few flatties about which is surprising but your best bet is targeting them at places like Sow and pigs which was earlier mentioned. For the dory alot of the areas with loads of boats hold them. Basically structure and bait = John Dory. Big Wharves, Moorings and some wrecks are the places to start looking for the dory. Good luck! Hopefully the weathers okay....

You will get them both on SP's if you use burley. If you use a lowrance sounder you will find the snapper in the harbour look like long yellow speed humps about a metre from the bottom. These are mostly squire snapper about 30 - 40cm but alot of smalls ones. Just above them i usually find the trevs. Just bounce a SP of the bottom and you will catch heaps. But you will go through alot of soft plastics becuase of those bloody snapper teeth. Keep a yakka out for a rogue kingie and work the surface with a metal like a halco twisty in the 60gm range becuase these alot of salmon out. Also troll around middle head for salmon with deep divers. Rapala x wrap in the mackerel is a beast for this.

All the best Pat!

If your going to hit the Dory Pat get some yakkas they go crazy for them.

Keep them alive also its almost impossible on dead bait.

Cheers, Stan

yeah Just snip a bit of the tail to slow them down, Dory arent that fast

Thanks heaps Guys! so if I am using a float for trevs and Sanpper how deep should I set the hook...or do i refer to the Fish Finder for that answer.

Cheers and many thanks

Pat

Light line of about 6 lbs no sinker or float, Just let bait look natural and wham hang on :thumbup:

G`DAY PADDY.

Rose bay is the best place to start as right on the door step.

It is too late too go to the markets to buy your bait so I suggest a visit to the fish shop near Marrickville Town Hall and check out what they have in prawns, sardines, slimies. If the white bait is of any size buy a few of them.

Fresh yakkas can be caught at Watson bay area.

Like everyone has said Sow and Pigs, A drift or two around Rosebay and you could try around Shark Island and ditto to what all the others have said.

When using bait when anchored use 00 sinkers or light as possible and float your bait in the burley.

Looking forward to reading your big catch.

Hey Raiders

Just back from my first habour trip and I have to say it was AWESOME!!! All the advice was taken and it paid off. I headed off at Rose Bay around 0730 and headed straight to the Pig and Sow or is that Sow and Pig. But before that with Bluebottle 18s I went to the fish shop and bought slimey mackerel prawns and white bait. Right now back at the Sow and Pig we drop anchor, berely up and wait. First bait of slimy mackerel baited and over the side. Then I set up a SP rig. Two min later and three years of half heartedly trying.. I finally land a fish on SPs and not only that it is a legal 32 cm Trevally! And I have to say I am pretty stoked!!! By this stage the berely is working in over drive we quite litterally we have a sizable school of Trevs under the boat and with every bait going in is producing fish!!!! Albeit just under legal and smaller. After an hour or so of fishing and catching baby Trevs we head of for a troll around middlehead as suggested by Pred-A-tor aka Stan. Had a great trip around really enjoyed a reasonable swell in my 4.2 metre boat but no salmon. No hassle it was fun driving around. Unfortunately by this time the wife was Txting and it was time to pull up stumps and head home. And the good news is I have three legal Trevs for entree. Finally a feed.... At this rate the boat is going to pay for itself!!!!!! Thanks to all for your advice greatly appreciated. Now next week? :-)

Great to hear you had a good day. The weather /wind was kind to you. You found your way around the harbour alright as well. The more often you go the easier it gets as you just automatically will know where to go and you also get very confident in yourself.

Enjoy your fish.