ELECTRIC REELS

SPARKY

I have a bad neck injury, all bolted up, this has left me with some nerve damage that has weakened my arms and shoulders. i have thought about electric reels, but first i got to get a decent boat, second, sadly i have to actually manage to catch something over 2 kilos :( that can fight, and test my shoulders, before i think about it again. I know I would not be able to 'wrestle sea serpents up from the abys' winching them is a good second option though. about an hour hard casting and fast retrieving off bass point tongan style, finished me off for a day and i struggled with a 3 kilo bonito off there.

Johnno

I have a bad neck injury, all bolted up, this has left me with some nerve damage that has weakened my arms and shoulders. i have thought about electric reels, but first i got to get a decent boat, second, sadly i have to actually manage to catch something over 2 kilos :( that can fight, and test my shoulders, before i think about it again. I know I would not be able to 'wrestle sea serpents up from the abys' winching them is a good second option though. about an hour hard casting and fast retrieving off bass point tongan style, finished me off for a day and i struggled with a 3 kilo bonito off there.

Johnno

You'd be fine if you brought one Johnno. People with Disability's will always be able to use them what ever happens. You'd just have to get something from a dr.

Benny.

You'd be fine if you brought one Johnno. People with Disability's will always be able to use them what ever happens. You'd just have to get something from a dr.

Benny.

hmmm something to think about when i sink further into decrepitude. when i was on weight restrictions of 2kg, the doc said if the fish felt like it would be over 2kg, i had to get the missus :wife: to wind it in :1yikes: i said 'yer right defo on that' :074:

2 out of 3 aint bad, got the beanie, got the camera, aw nuts, no fish for cotm (yet)post-15713-045286100 1311238781_thumb.jpg

Johnno

Edited by piratesgold

would these electric eels be a good source of green energy :074::074::074::tease: have a couple in a tank connected up to an eelectric outboard :074: 10 km to the pillie and a snack at the end of the trip :thumbup: Johnno

sorry that was a shocking joke :074:

Hm ....a grid connect electric eel farm, could be onto something (or could be on something)

Edited by piratesgold

• 8 months later...

I have also sent an email requesting confirmation or otherwise to be posted here as the official statement.

ACoRF minutes record a motion on Electric Reels back in 2009 (meeting 47). Here is a link to the minutes if anyone wishes to read them ACoRF

I will post up anything that is sent back.

A member pm'd me and asked if there was anything further on this.

I did receive an email end of last year and asked to contact Phil Bolton at fisheries for a chat. Below is the email convo.

Hi Donna,

As discussed, the gentleman that will assist you further with your enquiry is Phil Bolton 02 95278505.

The ongoing use of electric reels to fish for deep-water species in offshore waters will be considered in the upcoming review of NSW fishing rules and bag and size limits.The review will be conducted by NSW DPI and will commence later this year.

The main issue identified with the use of electric reels is their increasing availability and use by fishers to harvest deep-water fish species including Hapuka, Bar Cod, Gemfish, Bass Groper and Blue-Eye Trevalla.

Current bag and size limits used to manage these valuable deep water fish resources were developed based on the traditional method of fishing involving the use of manual fishing techniques. Electric reels simplify recreational harvest in these deep waters and are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their controls.

The review discussion paper will be made widely available. All recreational anglers will be encouraged to be a part of the process.

I have sent another email today asking about the discussion paper and if it is available for public comment as yet. I did a bit of research and did not come up with anything. Perhaps others here can throw some light on any further advances.

I received an email from Phil today

Hi Donna

Good to hear fromyou. The discussion paper is currently being prepared and has not yet been released to the public.

As previously advised, once the discussion paper has been finalised it will be made widely available. All submissions will be welcomed.

Kind regards

Phil

Standby for further developments :thumbup:

Oh, I read they were banning "electric eels" - was in favour of that, they hurt!. Seriously, I cannot believe they would attempt to introduce this, Having fished the bottom at Browns a few times, winding up 400m is just too hard. At the end of the day, how many anglers are going to outlay the money and what will their catches be in comparison with commercial fishermen. I don't think it will happen and being off the older generation, if I need some power assistance, then I should have it!

If you read "Current bag and size limits used to manage these valuable deep water fish resources were developed based on the traditional method of fishing involving the use of manual fishing techniques."

you also could think they are going to change the bag and size limit instead of banning the reels.

Just like to add my little 2 cents in,

What's next?

Down rigger?

Night fishing? And the list could go on and on.

Give us a break.

If I have to spend $150 a day on fuel just to get out there, I would like to bring home a feed for the family. I'm not a very strong person, so I would like to enjoy my day by not having to kill my arms and back.

I just think that these guys should go a bit easier on us recreational fisherman!