Denarau Fiji

Heath R

Hi All

Just got back from a holiday thawing out in sunny Fiji.

I was staying with my girlfriend and some friends but still managed to get a bit of fishing in.

The first morning was spent casting big poppers, plastics and hard bodies off the breakwall for a donught.

Next morning decided to grab the light gear and found some likeley looking creeks and rivers.

It was not long before my little poppers were getting absolutely smashed by the most amazing looking mangrove jacks I have ever seen.

They were not the biggest fish but the power of these little fish and the way they hit the lure really got the heart pumping.

I did get busted off by a couple of bigger fish as I was only using 10lb braid and 16 lb leader on a 2500 size reel.

01293ee1-81ee-697e.jpg01293ee1-820d-8cb1.jpg01293ee1-8231-9b41.jpg01293ee1-825c-8db1.jpg01293ee1-8286-4c79.jpg01293ee1-82d6-9418.jpg01293ee1-833c-e0bc.jpg

Regards Robbo

Hey mate, great fish there, Did you fish the breakwall just as you leave the port, with all the white villas along? I just came back from a trip to Fiji aswell, didn't get to fish though :mad3: :mad3: . Did you fish on your own or with a guide? Your own gear? I thought about taking a charter out but only spent 3 nights at Denarau before leaving to an island, did get to see some great fish snorkelling though :biggrin2:

That's awesome! I stayed in Denerau at the beginning of this year with my girlfriend and brought a 6wt fly rod, but it never saw daylight! I didn't even think of the creeks either, I was just planning on fishing the flats. Starting to make me annoyed that I didnt bother!

Edited by royts

Hi livo4life

Yeah thats the breakwall, the white villas is the Hilton that's where I stayed. The fishing gear is the first thing I pack when I go on holidays. I did look at booking a blue water charter but decided not to after speaking to a few people whe had just been on a couple of them. I was just having so much fun fishing the creeks. I also caught heaps of cuda, trevs a couple of small giant herring I think which would have been fun on the fly rod and a few unidentifides.

Cheers

Nice work Robs. My Bro is in Cook Islands as we speak doing the same too. Does anybody else but me have to work??

I'll take you on our own bluwater charter for YFT soon anyway! You can tell us all about the jacks.