Squid in Brisbane Waters

jshields

Hi John

I fish Brisbane waters a fair bit and I'm sorry to tell you that (as far as I know) there aren't any truly "reliable" squid spots. That's not to say there aren't squid in BW - I regularly catch them in all sorts of spots between broken bay and the rip bridge - it's just that they aren't reliable.

In my experience your best bet during the day is in the deeper holes that sit out of the current (near the rip bridge and Pretty Beach), and your best bet in the evening is the Wagstaff wharf area and the weed beds just around the corner before half-tide rocks.

But the truth is that you'll probably end up finding the squid when you're not looking for them. My best squid sessions have all started when a couple of brave ones follow a bait intended for something else.

They love to take my poddies intended for Flatties around Half Tide Rocks. Biggest one I have caught was tucked in the corner, opposite the sand boat ramp. I've never targetted them. I believe the rocks around West Head is the only I place I know of people targetting them, although I'm not a local, or an expert,or do much squid fishing!

I have had exactly the same experiences as Mondo, anywhere from Half Tide Rocks to Paddy's Channel, following bait or a soft plastic.

Thanks guys for the info i try out those spots. Cheers