94cm Sydney Winter Kingie

leatherjacket

Hi Raiders,

Woke up at 5am, but it was cold so I closed my eyes, fell back to sleep then eventually got up at 9:30am.

Launched from Clifton and picked up 4 good bait sized calamari squid at a not so secret spot near by. The harbour was packed with Yachts and spectator boats creating swell and chop for the Sydney to Gold Coast race. :1badmood:

I was going to try to fish for Whiting but decided to trowel one of the live squids in hope of a stray winter king. I slowly made my way back to my car at Clifton and was whistled at and waved off as I tried to cut across the Naval Waters, so I did the right thing and went around the markers...

I was going to trowel all the way in until my downrigger hit the sand and I hear/felt the bump, but I was still in 30ft of water... Then Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :yahoo: I pick up my 8-15kg live fibre rod with 50lb braid that I had locked up so that I could barely pull the line off the reel.

Started playing the fish that went straight down to rub me off on the bottom, bouncing the rod to knock it about and turn the head... I got it up to the top half of the water column and backed off the drag. Apparently I was drifting into the navy zone again because the guard was yelling at me to move away... :1badmood:

I managed to navigate out of the navy waters and landed a 94cm hoodlum kingie, which is a new PB and and a pleasant surprise to get a trophy fish at this time of the year - a great bonus to a great day on the water! :thumbup:

Cheers,

AC

post-9297-096987400 1312012615_thumb.jpg

post-9297-007677300 1312012696_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatherjacket

That's an awesome king! most guys get busted off from a boat on a king that size, so great work landing it from the yak!

I just recently got myself a yak as well, got a couple more modifications to do, and hopefully I can join the 'king from a yak' club. :biggrin2:

Top king mate especially from a yak in Winter :thumbup:

Dan

PS I would be very mindful of crossing into navy waters at Balmoral & Clifton. The navy used to send there patrol boat around to boot people out who ventured too close. Now instead a water police vessel is dispatched and instead of being asked kindly to get out they will fine you instead :18:

Great king for the harbour and in winter as well, not sure a bout 94cm but nice fish mate.

Well mate it's a very fat fish :biggrin2: And when you measure it from bottom lip to the top of the tail we read 94cm :1yikes: But, since you've put doubt into my mind I might have to measure my 12' pantanal caiman again!

Cheers,

Andrew