beach jewie

I am getting a bit tired of guiding all these blokes on jewfish trips and not getting one :074:

Took my great mate Deano for a beach fish last night in hope of connecting with a good size jewie,the moon phase was good and the high tide around 8 pm.

We got to the beach around 3ish and tried our gutzzz out to get some livies or slab baits but all we could catch were salmon...well Dean caught some and I missed my shots.

post-256-048173100 1312074900_thumb.jpg

We had some squid which was just ok and a block of pillies so as night descended we sent out the big stiks with our squid offerings.It didnt take long for our first hit and with plenty of weight I was confident that we had our first jewie....NOT ! a bloody big Port Jackson Shark :ranting2: and the next one I was cheering with head shakes and heaps of weight and another BIGGER PORTY :1badmood: Dean decided to keep trying for a fresh bait and was getting good hits on his light rod and not hooking up and then all of a sudden he was ON!!! and up came our quarry in the form of a nice little school jew:yahoo: two more big Portys and that was time to give it away.

post-256-070083900 1312074909_thumb.jpg

Thanks for a top arvo / night out Deano and its always great to catch up with good mates.

Cheers Stewy

Hey raiders, Went to central coast with my old mate Stewie last night.Hit the beach about 3.30pm hoping to catch some tailor for a few fresh baits,No tailor but caught a couple of salmon.Night was closing in and with an 8.00pm high tide it was time to get the big sticks out with the back up squid baits. A couple of hours and nothing,unless you count Port Jackson sharks :ranting2: Decided to get the bait catching stick out again,and flick a few pillies around the wash,was getting a few solid hits and a couple of runs ,but just couldnt hook up.Was thinking about changing gear again when,YES finally came up solid and landed a jew about 65cm :yahoo: Next cast snagged,so checked the big sticks,another shark but this time it picked up both lines :1badmood: What a mess.We both then flicked pillies for another hour ,not one bite and decided to call it a night. Thanks again Stewie for a great night,I dont know what was more fun,the fishing,or singing along to your special Hits of the 70,s & 80,s CD on the freeway.

Inspiring you got the fish you targeted!

I fished from 5:00pm to 10:00 pm on the sands as well with a mate. All we got were two salmons, 1 banjo ray and 1 gummy. Got bitten off a few times by tailors. No jews and not even peckers. Most of time the baits are intact when pulled in after 20 nimutes in the water. We fished with pilchards.

I am getting a bit tired of guiding all these blokes on jewfish trips and not getting one :074:

Took my great mate Deano for a beach fish last night in hope of connecting with a good size jewie,the moon phase was good and the high tide around 8 pm.

We got to the beach around 3ish and tried our gutzzz out to get some livies or slab baits but all we could catch were salmon...well Dean caught some and I missed my shots.

post-256-048173100 1312074900_thumb.jpg

We had some squid which was just ok and a block of pillies so as night descended we sent out the big stiks with our squid offerings.It didnt take long for our first hit and with plenty of weight I was confident that we had our first jewie....NOT ! a bloody big Port Jackson Shark :ranting2: and the next one I was cheering with head shakes and heaps of weight and another BIGGER PORTY :1badmood: Dean decided to keep trying for a fresh bait and was getting good hits on his light rod and not hooking up and then all of a sudden he was ON!!! and up came our quarry in the form of a nice little school jew:yahoo: two more big Portys and that was time to give it away.

post-256-070083900 1312074909_thumb.jpg

Thanks for a top arvo / night out Deano and its always great to catch up with good mates.

Cheers Stewy

Great work landing a jew , the moon was great for a jew session , the port jackson can become a pain at times though :ranting2::ranting2: especially when all you want is a solid run from a jew.

Chris.

The Boneheads are thick in the water. We got 6 on Saturday and a couple more on Sunday with some big ones among them.

Well done an a nice Jew for your perseverence. Why did you not use salmon as slab baits? I remember watching an episode of Adventure Bound in which they caught big silver beach jews in SA using slabs of Sambo and smaller livies.

Well done on the jew. That was typical for winter-time beach fishing in my experience. 5 PJs for any keeper fish. It is a massive tease when time after time you see the rod buckle only to haul in a big brown ooglie.

The Boneheads are thick in the water. We got 6 on Saturday and a couple more on Sunday with some big ones among them.

Well done an a nice Jew for your perseverence. Why did you not use salmon as slab baits? I remember watching an episode of Adventure Bound in which they caught big silver beach jews in SA using slabs of Sambo and smaller livies.

Thanks noodles,Stewie did put some nice looking salmon baits out but didnt get a touch.

Bad luck Stewy - Well done Deano!! ALways good when a plan comes together for the targetted fish ....... for some!! wacko.gif

Your turn next time, Stewy - take a couple of slabs of blackfish down!!!biggrin2.gif

cheers

Roberta

Bad luck Stewy - Well done Deano!! ALways good when a plan comes together for the targetted fish ....... for some!! wacko.gif

Your turn next time, Stewy - take a couple of slabs of blackfish down!!!biggrin2.gif

cheers

Roberta

I believe the jew is quite partial to a front half luderick but I've not seen it done from the beach. A fellow I knew used to take great care to cut the tail end off blackies and leave the gut intact and try to make the cut look very unknife-like. He had great success in the river with these baits.