Austinmer Kayak Session 31/07/2011

mako1

Headed out of Austinmer on the yak today chasing snapper.

First fish for the day was a nice salmon that took one of my trolled lures.

I continued trolling and had a double hook up. One of the fish was a bonito while the other was a nice 52cm snapper.

post-2229-013005900 1312113424_thumb.jpg

I continued trolling but only picked up a few pike.

I anchored up on the spot and started a burley trail and cast out the floaters.

The current was up a bit and was running to the south so I had to drop my burley down deeper otherwise it would have ended up off Wollongong.

There were heaps of mackerel around and it was hard to get a bait past them.

I managed to get two keeper snapper and a trevally and I also kept a few of the mackerel to salt down for future bait.

Things went quiet after a while and I didn’t lose a bait for about 15mins, not even to a mackerel.

I soon found out why.

I could see a shape coming towards the kayak and as it got closer I could see it was some type of shark.

It came around the kayak two times and I tried to feed it some pilchards so I could get a good picture of it but it didn’t like the shark shield and it left.

I thought I was filming it with my camera but I pressed the wrong button so the camera was only taking stills.

Here are a couple of pics.

post-2229-024599600 1312113435_thumb.jpg

post-2229-090570700 1312113443_thumb.jpg

post-2229-033887800 1312113452_thumb.jpg

post-2229-025332300 1312113462_thumb.jpg

Could it be a juvenile tiger shark?

The fish didn’t come back on the bite so I moved to another spot closer in.

First bait was taken by a nice 40cm snapper and then the mackerel and barracouta moved in.

I couldn’t get a bait passed them so I changed baits and started using large pieces of mackerel.

I missed two nice fish but I finally hooked up and it was another nice snapper.

post-2229-095926400 1312113479_thumb.jpg

I didn’t get any more snapper hits but I did get one small kingfish, which went back and a leatherjacket.

post-2229-003590300 1312113487_thumb.jpg

It was top day out on the water with beautiful weather and some fish to take home as a bonus.

Headed out of Austinmer on the yak today chasing snapper.

First fish for the day was a nice salmon that took one of my trolled lures.

I continued trolling and had a double hook up. One of the fish was a bonito while the other was a nice 52cm snapper.

post-2229-013005900 1312113424_thumb.jpg

I continued trolling but only picked up a few pike.

I anchored up on the spot and started a burley trail and cast out the floaters.

The current was up a bit and was running to the south so I had to drop my burley down deeper otherwise it would have ended up off Wollongong.

There were heaps of mackerel around and it was hard to get a bait past them.

I managed to get two keeper snapper and a trevally and I also kept a few of the mackerel to salt down for future bait.

Things went quiet after a while and I didn’t lose a bait for about 15mins, not even to a mackerel.

I soon found out why.

I could see a shape coming towards the kayak and as it got closer I could see it was some type of shark.

It came around the kayak two times and I tried to feed it some pilchards so I could get a good picture of it but it didn’t like the shark shield and it left.

I thought I was filming it with my camera but I pressed the wrong button so the camera was only taking stills.

Here are a couple of pics.

post-2229-024599600 1312113435_thumb.jpg

post-2229-090570700 1312113443_thumb.jpg

post-2229-033887800 1312113452_thumb.jpg

post-2229-025332300 1312113462_thumb.jpg

Could it be a juvenile tiger shark?

The fish didn’t come back on the bite so I moved to another spot closer in.

First bait was taken by a nice 40cm snapper and then the mackerel and barracouta moved in.

I couldn’t get a bait passed them so I changed baits and started using large pieces of mackerel.

I missed two nice fish but I finally hooked up and it was another nice snapper.

post-2229-095926400 1312113479_thumb.jpg

I didn’t get any more snapper hits but I did get one small kingfish, which went back and a leatherjacket.

post-2229-003590300 1312113487_thumb.jpg

It was top day out on the water with beautiful weather and some fish to take home as a bonus.

Nice catch , i would of shit my undies with the shark up that close :1yikes:

Chris

I always love you offshore kayak reports! Definetly on my TO DO list starting this summer.

I need to practice rolling the yak and getting back in before i start heading that far out.

Great fish and pics once again Mako :thumbup:

Musty

Hey mako,

Another quality snapper tripping lures behind your yak. You are the man.

What sort of investment for a shark shield?

I paid $695 about two years ago.

Nice catch Mako.

Those shark shields do actually work?

How far from the source do they repell?

Regards Jeff

They do work. The shield repelled this shark and I tested it out on whaler shark last year and I'm sure it has

repelled sharks that I didn't even know were there.

Considering I was using pilchards as burley and the shark never came back I think it did a good job.

The exclusion zone is a 3-5m radius from the centre of the antenna according to the manufacturer.

Love your work Mako, I tried around Wollongong Harbour for a donut on Saturday... looks like I should have stayed local.

Cheers,

Adam.

I find that the fishing can be tough off Wollongong harbour when the weather is good, Austinmer can be a better option on clamer days as there are a lot more spots there that can hold fish.

Great Snapper and cool pics of the shark too. Any idea on the species of shark??

I have had a good look on the net and I think that the shark was a broadnose sevengill shark.

It had a brown colour on the top and white underneath.

It had white spots all over its back and had no large dorsal fin, only a smaller one towards the rear of the shark.

Another great report Andrew. A great feed of fish for the family. Very interesting to read your comments regarding the shark shield. Being that close to them, I would be wanting all the protection I could get! :biggrin2: Out of curiosity, is your camera a GoPro?

Cheers

Ian

well done, Mako - good on you for having that shark shield!! A must, I reckon, if you fish offshore! I know some folk who would probably use it in the estuaries too, their fear of them are so great! wacko.gif

Roberta

Another great report Andrew. A great feed of fish for the family. Very interesting to read your comments regarding the shark shield. Being that close to them, I would be wanting all the protection I could get! :biggrin2: Out of curiosity, is your camera a GoPro?

Cheers

Ian

Yes it's a GoPro.

I use the GoPro mainly for filming but I accidently switched from video to automatic camera so instead of a video of the shark I just got some stills.

The first pic of the snapper is a still taken off a short video I took with the GoPro.

The last two shots are taken with an Olympus camera.