As good as you'd want it to be

Noodles

Well, I can only hope that everyone enjoyed the past weekend as much as I did. Took the young fella out on the big briny and weren't the conditions sensational? By 3.00pm yesterday we'd had bagged out on Dusky Flathead (in possesion over the 2 days) and had a couple of Tigers in the mix as well. We had to fish through the Leatherjackets but ended up with 10 of those tasty little morsels in the process and promptly ate them last night. If you left the little flatties down for too long the jackets ate them. The surprise was pulling Redspot Whiting out of 45m of water.

Fishing the hard bottom wasn't as productive as a couple of weeks ago but still ended with a couple of reds, mowies, blertas etc, and the usual mix of interesting throwbacks, bustoffs and unknowns. The young bloke is now known as the "Bonehaed King" for his proficiency at pulling up Port Jackson Sharks, even though I got the biggest one. We also managed a big Cuttlefish on each day over the reef and aren't they great flatty bait. I've cut some up for the table and it is presently in the tenderisation process, but there is plenty in the freezer for future use and hopefully it will provide a good exchange rate.

The only trouble I have now is that I can't fish at the moment unless I do Catch and Release. Either that or I'll have to target Salmon. Ain't life bad at the moment?

At one point the ships were all pointing different directions and the water was as flat and smooth as I've ever seen. A whale passed us within 50m or so and there were Stripey Tuna jumping around the boat (but they weren't interested in our offerings).

If the weather and sea conditions at the moment represent climate change ROLL ON CLIMATE CHANGE and use a greeny for bait.

Regards Jeff

Would not use a GREENY for bait. After a fish ate one of them, the fish would be too toxic to eat. And I definitely would not eat a BROWN-nosed trout from Tasmania.

Yowie.

Well, I can only hope that everyone enjoyed the past weekend as much as I did. Took the young fella out on the big briny and weren't the conditions sensational? By 3.00pm yesterday we'd had bagged out on Dusky Flathead (in possesion over the 2 days) and had a couple of Tigers in the mix as well. We had to fish through the Leatherjackets but ended up with 10 of those tasty little morsels in the process and promptly ate them last night. If you left the little flatties down for too long the jackets ate them. The surprise was pulling Redspot Whiting out of 45m of water.

Fishing the hard bottom wasn't as productive as a couple of weeks ago but still ended with a couple of reds, mowies, blertas etc, and the usual mix of interesting throwbacks, bustoffs and unknowns. The young bloke is now known as the "Bonehaed King" for his proficiency at pulling up Port Jackson Sharks, even though I got the biggest one. We also managed a big Cuttlefish on each day over the reef and aren't they great flatty bait. I've cut some up for the table and it is presently in the tenderisation process, but there is plenty in the freezer for future use and hopefully it will provide a good exchange rate.

The only trouble I have now is that I can't fish at the moment unless I do Catch and Release. Either that or I'll have to target Salmon. Ain't life bad at the moment?

At one point the ships were all pointing different directions and the water was as flat and smooth as I've ever seen. A whale passed us within 50m or so and there were Stripey Tuna jumping around the boat (but they weren't interested in our offerings).

Great weather and bagging out on flatties and a mix of other fish :fisher: Plus being out with the young fella doesn,t get better than that.

I personally wouldn,t use any cuttlefish for bait , they taste to good.

chris

Hey Pongrass, how do you tenderise your cuttles or do you just cook them?

I did some experiments last night (yesterday arvo) and the results were pleasing . From info I googled I tried soaking one batch in water and small amount of Bicarb Soda and another blend of milk, egg white and pulped kiwifruit. I believe green pawpaw works as well. After three hours I crumbed some of each and battered the rest. The crumbed were shallow pan fried and the battered deep fried. I had criss-crossed them with deep cuts.

The taste testers, me included, determined that the kiwifruit/ milk soak was more tender when cooked both ways but the bicard / water did work as well. I've read that you have to leave it in the fridge overnight.

As for using them as bait, with two big units there is plenty and they are fantastic bait for snapper. Some people target the drifting dead bodies after they complete their mating (the cuttles that is, not the fishos) for the big reds that feed on them. You can see the carcases lifting up out of the water when the snapper feed on them from below. They also make great bait for flatties and stay on the hook for 3 or 4 fish. You can just tell by looking at the skinned tentacles that they are jew lollies.

Edited by Noodles