Bate Bay (Port Hacking) yesterday

fish53

Hi all,

Went out for the morning yesterday off Cronulla for some flattys. First time outside in my runabout but kept in close as no radio or epirb.

Drifted in a few places for a feed of flattys and put about 20 undersize back. Place was alive with slimey mackerel. All over the bay no matter where I drifted, and all between 30 and 45cm taking my pilchard baits at any depth including the bottom. Even caught a couple on 5" Jerk Shads as I was using light bream gear as well. A couple of trevs and small reds behind Jibbon Bombora. Water was about 16 degrees and seas were flat as. A few dolphin and 1 turtle, no whales.

Might get out again tomorrow for the morning.

Pete

It was exactly the same for me last Friday Pete. There were plenty of slimey mackerel around. They're quite big too. I also caught a few undersize flatties and some rays. Someone said that the trawlers had been hitting Bate Bay early in the morning. They can really clean out the area of decent fish.

Good luck if you get out tomorrow.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Had a fish in Bate Bay this morning (Tuesday) and not a bite, drift was up with the early morning wind.

Caught 2 jackets south of the bommie, but the wind did not help with the drift their either. Plenty of small spiky flatties about, but no slimies.

Yowie.