Bilge pump question

rockfisherman

Hi raiders

Just stay with me on this one...

Item A is a bilge pump bracket and item B is the bilge pump which is fixed to the bracket with screws

cb142365-ded2-12ca.jpg

Now if were to mount it on the inside of my tinny and have a hose running over the side, sort of like this:

cb142365-df30-0f55.jpg

Would it still suck water up??

Whether or not it would suck water would depend on the height of your tinnie transom and the power of the pump. I would be inclined to say yes but you would need to specify the power of the pump and the height of your transom above the waterline to be 100% sure.

I am assuming this is for a live bait pump? If so, most DIY setups have the bilge pump mounted at the back of the transom just above the waterline with a pickup that dips just below the hull (you will see these on the online boat stores)

Think most of these pump types are centrifugal as such you would need them to be primed with water (or below water level) to initiate pumping. (They need to have some water in them so as they can move this to generate low pressure at the pump inlet to continue the cycle). So your second pic would just have air in the loop and would not be able to generate the low pressure to draw water to the pump.

Cheers

Blood Knot

Hi raiders

Item A is a bilge pump bracket and item B is the bilge pump which is fixed to the bracket with screws

[

There is no need for a bracket when fitting internally. Just mount the pump base on the bottom of the boat.

If you use a Rule pump the blue base is detached , fit it to the bottom either with screws or adhesive then refit the pump.

The bracket is for external use only to support the pump & a water pick up for a live bait tank.

Geoff

It will work so long as its under water, prob not the best to have continually under water,but for a temporary bait pump attach it to a rope with a weight hanging off the bottom to keep it in the water.

Edited by tareeterror