lake parramatta

Nathan00734

Carp ad Redfin are considered noxious pests and in no way are to be returned to the water. Carp especially are grest for crab and cray pots and also make the best tomato fertilizer!

My understanding is that whilst you are correct in acknowledging they are a noxious species (class 3 under the Fisheries Management Act 1994 NSW), in NSW and ACT it is up to the angler's discretion on whether they choose to kill or return a carp/redfin to the water. From memory the line from Fisheries is that anglers should - not must. Big definition in law terms really (Class 1 & 2). What is illegal is the translocation of carp to another river or waterway. Different in Victoria where anglers must kill and dispose of carp.

For my 10c - I am with luderick angler.

My understanding is that whilst you are correct in acknowledging they are a noxious species (class 3 under the Fisheries Management Act 1994 NSW), in NSW and ACT it is up to the angler's discretion on whether they choose to kill or return a carp/redfin to the water. From memory the line from Fisheries is that anglers should - not must. Big definition in law terms really (Class 1 & 2). What is illegal is the translocation of carp to another river or waterway. Different in Victoria where anglers must kill and dispose of carp.

For my 10c - I am with luderick angler.

spot on mate... moving them away from waterway while alive is very expensive if caught and are best dispatched quickly and used as burly/fertiliser etc..

they are prolific breeders and each mature female has millions of eggs and the damage they do is insane......

they are fun to catch at local waterways/parks and loaf bread and corn kernals should see action pretty quickly and great for kids....

cheers....steve....

Edited by roosterman