Restoring a $900 boat

Rafinx

Ok Ill give you a back ground on this boat.

Once upon a time I decided to go squidding, on the way there, I came across a boat for $1000, sure enough I bought it but knocked it down for $900. This boat is a 15ft 1980's Pongrass runabout with a 1976 35hp evinrude motor.

Over the time of its purchase I have done:

Hydrofoils

Repainted

New winch

New leaf springs, bracket, cleaned the axle, new bearings and hubs, new wheel arches.

New seats front and rear with a stainless steel bracket that follow the face of the seat for to make a more secure seat for the swivel chairs.

And just a general clean up

Here are the pictures of what I have done.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I just wanted to show what ive been up to and trying to keep my handy work up to scratch seeing as I had to quit my job at holden as a mechanic to pursue my career as police officer.

Ive always been hands on with projects.

post-16019-097558600 1312949327_thumb.jpg

post-16019-033470400 1312949339_thumb.jpg

post-16019-043252900 1312949345_thumb.jpg

post-16019-047042000 1312949352_thumb.jpg

post-16019-045311900 1312949360_thumb.jpg

post-16019-003547000 1312949367_thumb.jpg

post-16019-063815400 1312949375_thumb.jpg

post-16019-080699100 1312949383_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rafinx

Oh and Ignore the shotty paint job As:

1: the windshield is being replace.

2: the black guard is going to be sanded down and re-dyed.

3: the rest can be cleaned

4: I got lazy

Oh and other things I have done is new spark plugs, new gearbox oil, new 3/8 fuel line and a furuno ls4100 fitted to the boat now.

post-16019-065150300 1312949458_thumb.jpg

post-16019-038296400 1312949466_thumb.jpg

post-16019-067691200 1312949473_thumb.jpg

post-16019-010873400 1312949480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rafinx

Looks good champ.

The blue top deck modernises the boat a little..

So all fish raiders can call on you to get us out of tickets in the future ? :074:

Alot of people ask me that, Im a fairly easy going bloke, but unfortunately or fortunately in some cases your foot has to be put down.

If any one is wondering, that piece of wood on my perspex windshield, is due to a nice circular hole caused by my dad, He put a support beam to hold a tarp and keep the water out, unfortunately he decided to hit the beam with the truck thus pushing it through my windshield.

Looking Good Man,

How do you find launching and retrieving with that trailer as I noticed you have wooden skids on it?

I have a similar setup and had a hell of a time getting it on and off so I added a couple of rollers right at the back and took most of the weight off the skids but enough to support it as they take most of the weight.

I hope your rig serves you well looks like a very good setup.

Nice work by the way :thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Looking Good Man,

How do you find launching and retrieving with that trailer as I noticed you have wooden skids on it?

I have a similar setup and had a hell of a time getting it on and off so I added a couple of rollers right at the back and took most of the weight off the skids but enough to support it as they take most of the weight.

Regards,

Nathan

Mate I was going to be putting rollers on it, but their a bit heavy on the wallet.

When I usually release the boat into the water I generally move it about 50 cm by hand then, let the tilt do the rest, as for retrieving, that whinch on there is a beast, and it makes light work of it coming back on.

yeah I suppose if the winch is strong it would make a difference might look at getting a better winch for my trailer in the future.

so the outboard is running good now? as you were having dramas a few weeks ago as I remember?

Regards,

Nathan

yeah I suppose if the winch is strong it would make a difference might look at getting a better winch for my trailer in the future.

so the outboard is running good now? as you were having dramas a few weeks ago as I remember?

Regards,

Nathan

yes mate was the valve at the fuel tank. It rattled itself shut so created suction in the fuel tank, It runs like a beast now, surprising for a 35hp!

Oh and Ignore the shotty paint job As:

1: the windshield is being replace.

2: the black guard is going to be sanded down and re-dyed.

3: the rest can be cleaned

4: I got lazy

Oh and other things I have done is new spark plugs, new gearbox oil, new 3/8 fuel line and a furuno ls4100 fitted to the boat now.

Great work , they sure are a great dry , safe ride the pongrass boats.

Good to see the engine problems solved :thumbup:

chris

Looking Good Man,

Regards,

Nathan

Have your skids got the blue nylon strips? if not they make them so slippery boat will just slide off, a friends dad also used to rub his skids with soap before retrieving boat which helped a lot too.