Hawkesbury 14 Aug 2011

helliconia

Starting prepping the boat on saturday after 4 weeks off the water to find I had a flat battery. After an emergency run to buy a battery charger and leaving it on overnight we headed out to the Hawkesbury for the change to the run in tide at Flint & Steel.

Tried to find a few live baits for no success then headed to F&S with some woolies prawns.

Managed an undersized black bream, although he was fat and in good condition. The catch of the day was a baby Hairtail at 3:30 on a piece of peeled prawn. He was way too small to be worth cooking so I let him to go for next year.

My :wife: is starting to make jokes that our new diet will be to only eat what we catch. She says we'll lose 20kg's each in no time :(

post-12171-088967100 1313353478_thumb.jpg

Its pretty quiet at the moment hey! As for the livies, im no pro at livie catching and 2 weeks ago we anchored off the pillboxes at west head and i just dumped a load off burley in and caught 10 in less than 10 minutes! Having said that sometimes they just arent there! Its definitely your best bet for livies around there. Not sure if this is where you tried so this might make me look like a fool if it was.. haha

Good to see you made it out EmptyHooks didn't get to the Hawkesbury like planed got a call late on sat saying to meet at Botany Bay for a day out so thats where i ended up with another 4 fisho's in 2 boats. (got a donut as well but a great day out) will no doubt see you out there in the near future.

Edited by newboaty

Its pretty quiet at the moment hey! As for the livies, im no pro at livie catching and 2 weeks ago we anchored off the pillboxes at west head and i just dumped a load off burley in and caught 10 in less than 10 minutes! Having said that sometimes they just arent there! Its definitely your best bet for livies around there. Not sure if this is where you tried so this might make me look like a fool if it was.. haha

No didn't make it around that far. Found a bunch back towards the ramp at Appletree Bay on the sounder in a "baity" looking bit of geography but could get a hook into them.

I'll definitely try the pill boxes next time. :)

No probs Newboaty... plenty of opportunities to catch each other on the water.

Edited by EmptyHooks

I am taking a mate fishing in the Hawksbury this Sunday morning early. Were there any salmon breaking the surface yet? Has anyone had much luck lately? Planning on using lures if I can't catch any live bait. Also would'nt mind catching some squid. Any tips or ideas?

There are a few slamon around atm mate. They are up until sunrise then scatter fairly quickey. Try for them early but then your best chance is to get some yakkas and head down pittwater for some live baiting. Lots of good bycatch too like big flatties, kingies and dories!