Monster Blueffin taken wide off Sydney yesterday cubing in 1000fa

wannabefisho

I had the pleasure of going on a tuna charter yesterday aboard with my mates Dave, Steve, Allan and Ed.

We jigged the 12 for donuts and we headed wide past Browns and off to Heatons

Trolling all the way for nothing we decided to cube

@ 2:00pm we decided to head back to 1000fa and cubed again.

Within 30mins we had a hookup, and 5 after that we had a double. :1fishing1:

The 2nd fish got busted off clean and we all sank deep into the throes of disappointment as Steve watched his PB head to the depths... total heartbreak and we all felt it on board

Ed will still going and after an hour the handle on the TLD50 with 24kg snapped- we thought doom was inevitable but Ed soldiered on into the night - handlining and winching under immense pressure. :thumbup:

Ivan (skipper) drove like a champion and after seeing backing 3 times we saw first colour in the pitch black.

Down she went again for another scorching run and the battle continued again down deep...

2nd time we got her beside the boat and under the boat she went- we all gasped and waited for the ping of the line- but again Ivan saved the day with the most amazing driving ever.

She was tiring and 3rd time after 3hrs and 20mins we had her boat side- do or die time I said to Ron who had a gaff in hand, Dave had the 2nd and I had the last ready in hand and white knuckled in anticipation- Rob sank the first gaff, followed by Dave then Myself on the 3rd...

10mins it took to get the beast into the boat and onto the deck

Headed back to SGFC to weight her (we were thinking anything from 80-130kg) but the scales told the story- a 95.8kg Bluefin :yahoo:

HUGE effort and resiliance won the day- a real team effort by all who gave words of encouragement, brought water to the angler, watched every inch come with pain and anguish...

Such an amazing day one I'll never forget in my life- and I wasnt the angler but to be there and be part was a real rush and one I hope to relive again and again.

Now I have the addiction I think its time for another upgrade or 3... I'll keep going back even though mu mojo was almost @ an all time low after recent spates of bad luck and fishless nights and heartbreak with my boat after Burrinjuck

Def the best day I have ever had

Arrived home 2am after cleaning, gutting and filleting a monster fish worthy of a lifetimes of any other species...

We all walked away with between 10 and 15kg of fresh Bluefin

SSSSSOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!

Tight lines all

Anthony

Edited by wannabefisho

Yeah, these are the ones my mate took, mine are still on my phone... ENJOY!

Note- the first one is the broken TLD which Ed used to nail the fish

2nd is one of Ed with his BFT

3rd is the weigh in @ SGFC

post-12300-036155600 1313573110_thumb.jpg

post-12300-004960000 1313573132_thumb.jpg

post-12300-076065200 1313573144_thumb.jpg

Edited by wannabefisho

It's pretty special, share all that with mates, tell stories (lies)around a beer or two. Butcher the fish, take her home to family and friends. Best day ever eh!! Well done, enjoy it those days are few and far between....... Cheers....

Dave

Wannabefisho, got the news late last night as ron is a m8 of mine. His version of Eds fingers being tapped up and the awesome effort in getting the fish onto the boat ( after ron thought to himself that 9 times the fish could have been lost ) is truly a meritorious one especially considering the circumstances. It would of been amazing to see all those squid hanging around, have seen them before and they look like they could eat u. Maybe you should have thrown a jig at them be enough squid for 20 people in 1. Congrats :yahoo:

Edited by finin

Thanks guys, means a lot for me to be able to share such a monumental occasion with a few great mates and bag a monster that took 100% courage from the angler. I know for sure Ron was amped when the gaff was finally sunk and we all hauled her up... astounding is all I can say... I hope to get out again in next few weeks (lucky fathers day pressie) and blood my new bent butt 24kg on a fin myself- I got the itch now time to stratch lol

Tight lines

Anthony

:D

Wannabefisho, got the news late last night as ron is a m8 of mine. His version of Eds fingers being tapped up and the awesome effort in getting the fish onto the boat ( after ron thought to himself that 9 times the fish could have been lost ) is truly a meritorious one especially considering the circumstances. It would of been amazing to see all those squid hanging around, have seen them before and they look like they could eat u. Maybe you should have thrown a jig at them be enough squid for 20 people in 1. Congrats :yahoo:

Interesting about the Squid. What happened out there?

I've seen on documentaries and heard of thick patches of Squid staining the sea surface. Is that happening off Sydney?