Anchor size, rope size/strength

donjuarez

Hey all,

I've got myself a 19' fibreglass boat, and needing to understand what size (thickness), length of anchor rope is enough? 50m or 100m?

And also the thichness? 10mm? 12mm?

I saw the post about the 10mm/8mm discusison, but that's for a 4.5m significantly lighter rig...

And lastly anchor weight? any rough guidelines on size of anchor? Looking at a sand/mud anchor mostly for using in around botany bay... and closed water use...

if I ever venture offshore, not planning in anchoring up in 100m or anything like that, and would probably use a sea anchor instead if current is pulling too much.

thoughts?

:1fishing1: AJ

If mainly fishing enclosed waters then 50mt of 10mm would be quite OK.

As for the anchor , a 4.5kg sand anchor is recommended for boats of your size.

I see your at Lane Cove , a visit to Whitworths L.C. will help clarify the options

Geoff

You should be carrying a rope length 3-7 times the depth of the water you want to anchor in. The stronger the current, wave/swell height, and wind the more you should be laying out to anchor safely.

Assuming you're anchoring in max of 25M of water, you could need upto 175M of rope. Temper this with a little commonsense as to the conditions you're likely to be out in and I'd recommend 100M rather than 50. 125M would be better but they don't sell it in those lengths :)

The more rope you have out, the more bite your anchor will get on the botom under strain as the rope angle is shallow and the anchor flukes can dig deeper.

I've got 50M on my 4.75 tinnie and its not enough at places like Flint & Steel when theres a bit of swell and current.