Squid Session

Basil D

Headed out today with Chris(Pongrass) and all Chris could say is" Bas we need squid", I cant eat the single Squid in my Freezer, so off we go in search of squid and I must admit I was a bit cocky thinking couple squid, piece of cake, so I took Chris to one of my Favourite spots and squided for about an hour for zilch, zero, Donut, Not cocky anymore But wasnt giving up and headed of to another spot and we got one there and nothing else for another hour, I said to Chris, lets go and find some flaties/reef action and will squid in the avo and exit stage left we go, as we were cruising we came across this spot and Chris and I looked at each other and out came the squid Rods again, yep, I was on, Big Grin on my face 2- 0 then chris was one 2-1 then chris's rig with two squid jigs goes off and Chris Joins the 2 squid on one rig Club, 2-3, 2-5 2-5 ? what I thought, then 3-5, 4-5 4-6 4-7 got smoked, Well I don't mind getting smoked after all equal share with he catch + we found a new hot spot for squid:biggrin2: not bad half Day on the squid, chris's squid jig was awesome, I will buying one chris so watch out :biggrin2: We Ended up Going for some reefies and flathead after that and headed home Early, Chris's wife was shocked, Chris's home Early for once :074: , well why wouldn't you be home Early Chris, after all we cleaned up the squid and nothing better than to head home and smash squid for dinner, until next time, have fun on the weekend and will catch up when I get back. :yahoo:

post-8352-063701000 1314185719_thumb.jpg

post-8352-069456400 1314185729_thumb.jpg

post-8352-088990600 1314185753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Great catch of quality squid there for you and Chris! :thumbup:

You two are a "dynamic duo" now.

Did you end up getting any flatties and reefies as well?

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter, yeah we got a few Flathead, rock cods, wrass, trevs and packed it up about 3 pm. :thumbup:

We couldnt find any Bonnies or surface action.

Guest hawkesbass

good catch on the squid.need to keep the downrigger in the boat chris to attempt to convert a squid into a kingfish

What do you look for on the sounder when looking for a squid spot in deeper water i havent ever caught squid where i havent been able to see the bottom.

Shallow reefs, kelp. sand all in one area, also just behind the wash, headlands etc, use 3.5 to 4 jigs, drift and occasionally work them.

Start at around 20 foot of water to 50 foot of water, its not hard just persistence.

you might one or two at a time till you get used to it and wammo, or you may just have the knack and slam them from the start :thumbup: