Landbased Question

clemsy

Hi guys,

I have a question about fishing landbased, hoping you guys could help me out. I normally fish Carss Park and I don't hear much or see many people catching fish like salmon, trevelly or jewfish (bigger sized fishes). But when I go to Gymea Bay Baths, I hear stories about salmons and kingfish being caught and not caught hehe.

So I am wandering if catching big fish is about location or is it just luck to have to bang into one?

Hypothetically speaking, say both fishermen have same baits and same conditions etc, is it about location or a whole heap of luck?

And also, what fish will take the tail of a SP first? I had bad luck today with my SP's tails missing :(

Thanks guys!

G'day clemzii. There are a lot of variables: structure under the water, time of day, time of year, weather conditions, tides (moon), bait fish (or whatever the big fish are feeding on) in the area, as well as what gear/rigs etc the fisherman is using, (and their skill or knowledge), ... and an element of luck.

However, if you look at the reports of the landbased Raiders who consistently catch good fish, you'll see that luck is only a small part of it. They know what locations are best at what times. They also usually target one particular species (e.g. kings or jews). Most successful fisherman wont waste their time at a poor location. There is usually a reason big fish will frequent a particular area.

Having said all of that, I'd say it's 90% location (and skill and knowledge), and 10% luck.

As for the sp tail pinching, I'd be blaming tailor. They don't call them "chopper tailor" for nothing!

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trying to target fish like salmon, trevally or kingfish on SPs, but I'm not sure where to begin.

I live close to port hacking, would you know any areas or tips regarding catching those species with SPs?

Thanks mate!

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been trying to target fish like salmon, trevally or kingfish on SPs, but I'm not sure where to begin.

I live close to port hacking, would you know any areas or tips regarding catching those species with SPs?

Thanks mate!

Unfortunately I can't help you clemzii. I usually fish from a boat (or the beach). I've also just starting using sps myself. However, there are many knowledgeable Raiders who will be able to give you some good info about sps and some good locations on the Georges or the Hacking.

Hodgey, Ray R and Slinkymalinky gave me some great advice recently about sp fishing (knots, leaders etc). I know Hodgey has caught some huge salmon on lures down the coast. Stewy (swordfisherman) knows a lot about all types of fishing. You could also go through the old "lure and flyfishing" reports and send a pm to the Raiders who regularly get the "big ones".

Good luck

Peter